View Full Version : Flying over Afghanistan?

John Hill
27th Jun 2012, 02:59
I wonder what the procedures are for commercial (i.e. airliners) crossing Afghanistan?

If I understand correctly the air traffic services communications systems between Afghanistan and neighbouring countries are rather sparse and I wonder what the coordination etc is when crossing the borders.

Can you contact Kabul on VHF from the border crossing points? Is that the first they know you are coming? What about leaving the country, say crossing over into Iran, do you call them before the crossing?

I assume Kabul still need the tail number so that IATA can write the invoice....:rolleyes:

I was a member of a party that installed VHF and VSAT facilities and AFTN systems in Afghanistan about 12 years ago and I often wonder what has happened since then.

Thanks

MarkerInbound
27th Jun 2012, 04:15
Coming down from the Stans to the north you can talk with Kabul fairly soon after crossing the border. I have no idea what info the controllers have, they normally want ETAs for most of the route in the country. It's been a while since I've come in from Pakistan but I recall the comms worked right from border.

Iran wants a call before you enter the country no matter where enter.

A lot of FIRs in that area are more interested in your tail number than your route and altitude.

John Hill
27th Jun 2012, 06:10
Thanks, it seems things are little changed.

Grum
27th Jun 2012, 13:28
I crossed from Pakistan over Kabul and then north to Uzbeckistan the other day. I called Kabul on VHF 10 minutes prior to crossing the FIR and got a friendly American voice who just told us to report the FIR. Over Kabul he wanted an estimate for the exit point and then once we were a little north of Kabul he handed us over to TERMEZ well within the Afghan FIR.

We also talked to 'ALPHA control' in Pakistan between Delhi and Afghan border, I don't think they were really interested in hearing from us.

esreverlluf
27th Jun 2012, 23:51
Not much changed in the last few years, except that it is now RVSM which has improved things markedly at busy times.

Jepp en route charts have all the requirements for who to contact and any requirements as to when to do it.

John Hill
28th Jun 2012, 06:20
Thanks for the comments.