PDA

View Full Version : how to improve my RT

wannabepilot18
23rd Jun 2012, 06:03
currently training as a pilot for an airline and wondering how I can improve my radiowork/ ATC communications

fujii
23rd Jun 2012, 07:40
After forty years in ATC, I reckon it just comes down to practice. Imagine a flight you want to do, then write down each segment where you will need to talk to ATC. Next get out the phraseology documents and look up what phrases are needed for that segment. Practice, practice, practice. Get a friend to play a ATC with a copy of phraseologies.

Seeing your location, I assume English may not be your first language. That's why there are standard phrases, so everyone can understand what you want. Don't even think about using what you may hear in the movies. Talk to your flying instructor.

As I have told low time pilots, if all else fails and you are stuck, just speak plain English to get your message across. Relax, ATC is there to help and want to process you as smoothly as possible.

If you get a chance and there is ATC at your airfield or one you land at, see if you can get a visit and talk to them. You'll see they don't bite.

wannabepilot18
23rd Jun 2012, 08:42
that actually makes sense, do you have any book you can recommend?

natops
23rd Jun 2012, 08:53
Cap413 just google it. Good luck.

broompusher
23rd Jun 2012, 08:55
Here is a good place to start.

www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/AviationGuideFinal20090917_LOCKED.pdf

wannabepilot18
24th Jun 2012, 09:38
thanks alot.....

sevenstrokeroll
27th Jun 2012, 04:18
you could also purchase a small inexpensive VHF receiver, and listen to tower and radar if you live near an airport.

bigjames
27th Jun 2012, 07:15
even easier just listen to www.liveatc.net (http://www.liveatc.net).

Jester Wester
27th Jun 2012, 12:55
This is an interesting point. I am a retired ATCO now teaching Aviation English. Most traditional Aviation English teaching assumes that pilots/controllers are confident in their use of standard phraseology, but this is not always the case, particularly with students and those taking ICAO level 4 for the first time.
In the past I have often had students asking to practice routine communications between pilots and ATC.
Send me a PM and I should be able to give you some more info/help

chiglet
27th Jun 2012, 21:06
wondering how I can improve my radiowork/ ATC communications
Buy a "Zippy" costume...:ok: [Rainbow, TV prog]
OK, hat coat scarf etc..........:)

wlatc
10th Jul 2012, 14:50
I work with AviationSimcom.com teaching online English Classes.

Here's a Youtube Video about their program:

Aviation SIMCOM International - YouTube (http://youtu.be/vGiCAVPhbYQ)

Uplinker
19th Jul 2012, 08:30
My suggestions would be:

Make sure that you use the standard phraseology. Buy CAP 413. Each word has a specific meaning, so it is important to use them correctly. For example; the difference between 'Roger' (=I have received and understood your transmission) and 'Affirm' (=Yes). It might seem petty, but it's to avoid confusion - and also so that non English speakers can understand and be understood.

Don't try to speak quickly.
Bear in mind that when talking to a non English ATC; if you speak too quickly or use non standard phrases, you may not be understood at all.

Don't try to be flash.

Don't copy what you hear or what they say in films ('Roger that'...'This time'....'Go ahead'....etc).

Good luck!

U