PDA

View Full Version : How good is the confuser

Currymonster
1st Apr 2002, 17:55
Anyone out there recently done any written exams.
If so how do you rate the confuser as a revision aid

Evo7
1st Apr 2002, 18:05
Excellent.

long final
1st Apr 2002, 18:14
Second that

LF

Capt BK
1st Apr 2002, 18:20
I agree

CBK

Evo7
1st Apr 2002, 19:18
Well, that was easy... :)

To expand on my rather brief post, the Confuser gives you a less thorough test than the questions in the Thom books, but gives you a genuine feel for the actual exam. Pass a Confuser exam and you can go into the Real Thing confident that there will be no surprises. You could almost certainly use nothing else and pass, although it wouldn't be smart to actually do that...

The usual caveat is that there are a few errors, but it isn't bad. If you've done the bookwork first then most of these stand out.

phd
1st Apr 2002, 19:32
Got my PPL last November - did all the papers during the year and used the Confuser as my main study and revision aid. Passed all papers first time with good scores so it must be OK as I am no Einstein.

knobbygb
1st Apr 2002, 19:35
'...as a revision aid' being the importand words.

Done 2 exams since buying the confuser - 2 x 100% - the problem is I think it's making me lazy in my study. It would be so easy to simply learn the answers. I obviously try VERY hard not to do this but it is really hard not to. I have found myself sat in exams thinking 'ah, know the answer to this one' before actually reading all the question or thinkng about it. Is this really a good thing?

The first one I did after getting the book - Human Performance - took me about 5 minutes. (Yes, I know, it's not rocket science anyway) and the guy who was marking the exam commented somthing like 'ah, so you bought the confuser then?'. The next one I did, I sat in there for an extra 10 minutes (after checking the paper twice) to avoid any comment.

I have never got 100% on anything before - makes me think - have the CAA/schools noticed improvements in test scores since the book has been around? Are they totally happy with the possibility that people COULD just be learning the answers?

Sorry to put a downer on things. I agree that it is an excellent book when used properly, worth every penny, and wish I'd bought it months ago. Buy it and enjoy, but remember it's your neck on the line if you don't learn stuff properly and just 'learn to pass the exam'.

Currymonster
1st Apr 2002, 20:37
Yes, I know what you are getting at
knobbygb but I did my Met studying, and using the confuser, but the exam seemed to be much harder that the confuser questions.
Am currently doing Technical and getting good success with confuser questions but still doubting whether am ready for Caa exam

knobbygb
1st Apr 2002, 21:11
If we're talking about the same confuser (the one with the photo of two rather 'spaced out' looking guys in a 727 just about to have a head-on with another a/c) - then it contains the exact same questions as the exam. Not past-paper questions in the normal sense but the actual questions you will get in the exam. If the exam seems more difficult it must be the stress/pressure of the situation? Or is your book out of date?

For what it's worth I am also studying the tech stuff as we speak (or was 5 minutes ago - glad of a break). I agree - there's a lot of it and I don't quite think I'm ready yet. Just answered all 149 and got 82%. Need to read up more on the first ones on the atmosphere - wasn't expecting those. I also have trouble getting my head round the Met. stuff - glad it's not just me.

Wasn't trying to imply you weren't studing properly, by the way - I did acknowledge that you said 'for revision'. Just making a point for anyone else who is in the same boat. Good luck.

djk
1st Apr 2002, 21:27
works well for me apart from the odd error in it, but they're not too drastic.

Evo7
2nd Apr 2002, 05:45
The current Confuser certainly doesn't contain "the exact same questions as the exam". I did Met recently (beginning of March) and the paper I had was noticably harder than the Confuser one - had I only studied using the Confuser I would probably have failed it. However, Flight Performance & Planning was similar to the Confuser and Human Factors was almost identical.

Currymonster
2nd Apr 2002, 07:16
Evo7, this is my reason for this post.
I too did my Met early March! Having heard such good things about the confuser then finding the Met difficult after using the confuser.(as a revision aid!!)
I have three left Tech/Plann/Performance.
From what others have said on this post then theses exams are perhaps the ones that one gets the most benefit from on the confuser?

Whirlybird
2nd Apr 2002, 07:20
I got 100% in Human Factors (old-style CAA exam) WITHOUT the Confuser. So did several other people. It's a stupid, way too easy, badly designed exam. Or the old one was anyway, and I doubt if it's changed much. Still, they didn't have it before around 1990, so at least it's an acknowledgement by the CAA that human factors is an important part of aviation.

FlyingForFun
2nd Apr 2002, 07:24
Agree with all the other posts - except I can't believe it took so long before someone pointed out that there are errors in the Confuser. Learn from Thom, then check your knowledge with the Confuser. If you're not convinced by the answers given in the Confuser, check back to Thom for the correct answer. But there are few enough errors for it not to be a problem.

The latest Confuser doesn't contain questions for the R/T written test. However, if you can find someone who did the CAA sylabus, they may have an older copy of the Confuser lying around, and this does have R/T questions. Very helpful.

FFF
----------

Evo7
2nd Apr 2002, 07:36
Currymonster - the Confuser is very useful for Flight Planning & Performance and Human Factors, so you'll have no problems with those. They are both easy exams anyway. Not done the Technical exam yet. Not looking forward to it either...

GroundBound
2nd Apr 2002, 07:39
The confuser is good for checking your knowledge, not for learning.

The met exam (6 months ago) was ~40% different to the questions in the Confuser. Also, especially in Met, the Confuser explains why it is the desired answer, but does not explain why the others answers are not valid.

The other subjects were pretty well covered by the Confuser.

There are one or two errors in the Confuser, but overall it works well to self-test your knowledge.

I was particularly worried about one of the answers in the Cconfuser, which I thought was wrong (relating to flaps), and that question came up on the exam paper - however, the phrasing was slightly different to taht used in the Confuser, and I was able to give the right reply from knowledge!

Use the books to learn, Confuser to test, and cross check against the (few) visible errors.

Good Luck ;)

Evo7
2nd Apr 2002, 07:47
GroundBound

Wasn't a Flight Planning & Performance question was it? I had that recently - chickened out in the exam and picked the Confuser answer, rather than the one I knew was right. Dumb... :rolleyes:

GroundBound
2nd Apr 2002, 09:22
Evo7

Can't remember what section, now. It concerned use of flaps which steepen the approach. In the Confuser it talks about a flatter pitch. The answer was "flatter" in the Confuser. In the excam, the question was phrased as "angle", and the answer was "steepen".

The problem is the phrasing of the question in the Confuser. The author has a very non-English sounding name, and it may be that small translation errors cause the problem.

Some of the Confuser questions appeared to be word-for-word compatible with the exams, some were very similar, and sometimes the values (e.g. a FL) were changed.

I studied the Thoms books, and repeatedly tested myself (random selection) on the Confuser. Whenever I had a "disputed" result, I cross checked with the books, the question phraseology in the Confuser, and with any other sources who I could find.

I got through the exams, and the Confuser did help a lot, primarily to allow me to test my knowledge - the Thoms books don't do that very well.

Evo7
2nd Apr 2002, 09:25
That's the one :)

singaporegirl
2nd Apr 2002, 12:09
I got caught out on the flaps too!

And note that the navigation part of the confuser doesn't have any questions on radio navigation, which the exam does.

Currymonster
2nd Apr 2002, 14:40
Evo7
Done the Tech exam today. I notice you say taht you are not looking forward to it. I too was in the same boat.
I can definetely say that the confuser was a great help with the questions that came up Good Luck!

AdamUK
5th Apr 2002, 17:25
I sat the MET paper firt 2 weeks ago and failed - the paper was nothing like the Confuser.

Re-sat today and got 95% and the paper virtually mirrored the Confuser.