1st Apr 2002, 10:37
Hi all! 4 questions:
Does anyone use it?
What do you think of it?
Does anyone have one for sale?
How much?

Bouncy Landing
1st Apr 2002, 20:23
I use ProPlan 3, and am about to upgrade to ProPlan 4, its great. Only omission is that it does not portray topography. I recommend it.

pistongone
1st Apr 2002, 21:00
I have used it for about 6 months now and all i can say is it is all your pooleys/AFE etc without the circuit diagrams,but with a really user friendly and well thought out flight planer.Draw a straight line from Biggin to Pontoise and oh it needs to bend around Diepe,so just left click and drag(as it tells you at the bottom of the screen!) and hey presto new route headings,true,mag etc are all there.Even how much the fuel needed and the cost(tacho or whatever)all instantly displayed!!
Great bit of kit i would recomend it for £17 or so,or if you e-mail me i might forward my copy,as long as you promise to return it!
You can also check out those dream flights! EG:-Biggin to Malaga in a PA32 in 6:56 and 415ltrs@60/hr and a total cost of £1108.8@£160/hr which is what our 32-6-300 works out at!And you can put the wind in aswell!!!and it only took about 2 minutes to work that one out!

alphaalpha
2nd Apr 2002, 05:23
I have used Proplan for about 4 years and found it excellent. I understand that Quckplan is a cut down version, but with all the main features. Proplan has an inexpensive monthky update service via the internet which ensures the data, frequencies, airspace beacons are always up to date. I would reccommend Proplan 4, the latest version, but it is more expensive than Quickplan. Why not look up the NavBox website?
Regards

LowNSlow
2nd Apr 2002, 05:44
I've been using ProPlan for a while. Very impressed but I ALWAYS check the plan against the one I've drawn on the chart and I ALWAYS find slight discrepancies. Not surprising when you consider how thick a pencil point is I suppose.

When I uploaded my first flight plan to my GPS I noticed that my home base was actually 0.5 nm from where ProPlan said it was. Not that surprising for a small grass strip I suppose.

Even taking the above into account it is still brilliant (topography would be good though). After being inspired by Whirly and her Dawn to Dusk success, I'm planning my own on ProPlan. Hey, I might even fly it :D

Probably the best 50 ish quid I've spent on flying. :cool:

stillin1
2nd Apr 2002, 16:22
Thanks all, the favourable comments give me pause for thought. Ta for taking the time to reply:D

QNH 1013
2nd Apr 2002, 18:52
I have both Quickplan version 3, and Proplan (can't remember which version) on my computer. I bought Quickplan first. In fact I still prefer Quickplan and rarely use Proplan.
Quickplan 4 is nearly twice as expensive as Quickplan 3 was but I expect it is still excellent value for money.
If you want all the features of Proplan then it might be worth paying the extra for it, but like I say, I've gone back to using Quickplan.
At £17 its difficult to go wrong!

Aussie Andy
3rd Apr 2002, 10:43
So while we're on the subject, has anyone used the Jeppesen product (£99 I believe - see here (http://www.transair.co.uk/jepdoubles/Jep_vfrfltstar.htm))? I believe it has topography... how does it compare to the Navbox product?

PhilD
3rd Apr 2002, 11:02
I've used Jepp FliteStar VFR since I started 'serious' trips. It's great for doing all the donkey work (wind, headings, wind, time, dist etc), you can mess around with routes as much as you like and it prints out a handy A5 kneeboard size plan with all the data on it at the end (and downloads the route to the GPS). I don't think the terrain data is that great a help, as I like to leave plenty of room underneath and I'm not sure I would trust a s/w package anyway. Minor gripe - it only prints the frequencies for nav aids and airfields that are actually on the course, so if you pass nearby Brize for example it does not show the frequency. The nav data update service from Jepp is excellent.

However - I still can't imagine going anywhere without a line drawn on the map!

LowNSlow
4th Apr 2002, 03:02
bouncy landing I'm using ProPlan 3. What advantages does ProPlan 4 offer and how much is it?

Got my Dawn to Dusk sorted. Just have to extend my internal endurance to 9 hours :D :D