View Full Version : Garmin Pilot - Android App

mr_rodge
13th Jun 2012, 17:53
Evening all.

I've just converted my rapidly ageing HTC HD2 to run Android, and am absolutely fascinated by the masses of apps available. Up until now I've been, and continue to be an avid SkyDemon user, though there seems to be little comment on an Android release, now that the iPad version is 'hogging the limelight' so to speak. I won't get into the Apple or Google debate, let's just say I'm on the Google side of the fence.

Thing is, it's a fact that there are Android tablets out there which are far more suitable for the cockpit than the HD2 or the iPad, or the SkyDemon Mobile MD. There are bright, light, perfectly sized and long-life battery-sporting systems and pilots could easily pick and choose to suit their own needs for their own aircraft.

The closest app to SD from what I can see is Garmin Pilot. Has anyone tried it? I can't find much information on it and the blurb suggests it's more for the US market. Looks good though.

Cheers.

dublinpilot
13th Jun 2012, 21:47
I don't think you can buy or use Garmin Pilot in Europe.

You might like to try PocketFMS. There is a free 30 day trial.

All of Europe (and most other areas) is covered with reliable data. Proper (graphical) NOTAM briefings, weather included by professional aviation weather forecasters, 3D vision mode, pc planning etc etc.

The Android app is still in development but coming along quickly, with new features being added every 2-3 weeks or so.

It's available from the Google Play store.

For clarity, I'm part of the Beta Crew, but I've no financial involvement...just a very happy user since 2004 ;)