PDA

View Full Version : NATS Forum Access

PPRuNe Radar
31st Mar 2002, 19:20
With the introduction of the new software, the NATS private Forum will not be available for a short while as detailed by Captain PPRuNe's post in the thread below.

Normal service will return as soon as possible so thanks for your patience.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48675

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Apr 2002, 14:01
Back to the top

early go
6th Apr 2002, 00:05
Got some good news and some bad news ....

The good news is that Danny has had the NATS Forum MATS Part 2 delivered for me and I can now happily moderate away to my hearts content on the Forum.

The bad news is that the method of entry to the forum has had to change since we can no longer issue a blanket access privilege via a password. The even worse news for me is that I will now have to set individual password access for everyone, close on 300 users :(

I will shortly put out an email to all the registered users explaining this, and for continued access I will unfortunately need your PPRuNe User Name. This information will remain confidential, as it does for everyone else registered on PPRuNe within the limits of legislation. If anyone wishes to pre empt my email and gain access, please drop me a line with your PPRuNe user name either using the email account you originally obtained access on, or a note of the address you used. I will then match this up to the list of email addresses I hold for registered NATS Forum users and grant you access as soon as I can.

Thanks for your help.

Early Go

Flybywyre
7th Apr 2002, 11:12
"The bad news is that the method of entry to the forum has had to change since we can no longer issue a blanket access privilege via a password. "

Why not ??

niknak
7th Apr 2002, 11:48
Or more to the point, who cares............ :D :p :D

PPRuNe Radar
7th Apr 2002, 16:37
Maybe the 300+ subscribers do ?? ;)

Danny is trying to figure out ways for moderators to be able to assign access to individual members. At the moment the only way possible is to change the access mask for each individual person and Danny is trying to avoid doing that for obvious reasons.

He hopes to find a patch that will let individual forum moderators access the member list and assign the permission themselves.

However at the moment, learning to fly a 737 is a higher priority for him so it will be a little while in coming ....

nippa
7th Apr 2002, 17:23
Niknak's right.
We're not missing much.
The NATS Forum was an idea who's day hadn't come.

Flybywyre
7th Apr 2002, 17:32
Or more to the point maybe the 300+ subscribers Do not.

There is know point in it except for identifying, to moderators, individual posters.

That will make the NATS forum even more boring than it already is. Certainly not a place where you would want to engage in any "robust" debate

7th Apr 2002, 17:38
.... or English spelling/grammar lessons ......

PPRuNe Radar
7th Apr 2002, 18:07
Whatever Flybywire ... it's your opinion. And as you won't be re-applying to get in, it's not really a problem for you is it ??

And if we really want to, we can already trace people who are registered on PPRuNe. Just we have no need or desire to, unless legally obliged to do so, for example in a libel action. All part of what you agreed to when you signed up ....

At the end of the day it's really pretty simple. The new software works in a different way from the old one. At the moment we don't believe that it supports entry to closed areas using a password entry. So we will need to assign entry to user names. The mechanics of how we will do that is what Danny will be working on when he gets time.

Flybywyre
7th Apr 2002, 18:18
"Whatever Flybywire ... it's your opinion. And as you won't be re-applying to get in, it's not really a problem for you is it ?? "

Who says I won't be ?

And if you are going to post a childish reply as in the one above you could at least spell my handle correctly.

FBW

PPRuNe Radar
7th Apr 2002, 18:30
I read too much into your post I guess ... just thought if the Forum was that boring you wouldn't bother with it.

Mmmm, spelling .... a forte of yours too ... so I see from other Forums and posters comments ;)

Regarding spelling, the words "glasshouse" and "stones" spring to mind.

Fortunately for me and 1000's of others on here it's not something we get too hung up on in prron, proon, prune, I mean PPRuNe.

sector8dear
7th Apr 2002, 20:13
All seems a bit complicated and there were never that many posts anyway.

Have seen lots of posts commending the new software. Can't say I've seen any benefits yet...

All seems a bit cranky with 'smilies' reduced to raw codes or equivalent ASCII symbols.

In fact thinking about it there are pretty few posts from operational NATS staff at present. Whole board seems mainly populated by 'wanabees' and non-NATS guys and gals.

Oh well, perhaps there is nothing happening in NATS anymore!!!!!

bagpuss lives
7th Apr 2002, 20:25
We're all just sooooooooooo busy matey :p

OK - for access my real name is.............................yeah right :D

I shall await your post early go and would like to thank you and the Admin team for your stirling efforts. I appreciate it VERY much indeed :)

early go
23rd Apr 2002, 14:33
Please read the message from Captain PPRuNe.

Private Airline Forums are Back!!!

Private Airline Forums are back! Unlike the old system where you only needed a password to access your private forum you now need to be specifically given access by your forum moderator.

Please do not email me or admin as we cannot give you permission. You must contact your forum moderator with any information they require to enable your access. Anyone emailing me or admin will not receive a response as we are snowed under with other work. Your forum moderators email contact is in the intro to the forum you are trying to access.

Because some people were giving out the forum password to friends who were not eligible for access to their private forum this new, more secure method has been employed. It is going to mean more work for your moderators as they have to actually modify your forum permissions and for large forums they may have over a thousand users to change.

As the website is going to be down from tomorrow morning and may not be back for up to 48 hours or more whilst we bring the new sever on line you will have to be patient. many thanks to everyone for their understanding and sorry for the delay in getting your forums back up.

--------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

In the first instance I will try to make things easy for people by tying up the email addresses I hold for Forum members with user IDs using Admin software. In the event that I can't tie up an individual who previously requested and was granted access, then I will email them direct and ask if they wish to provide their User ID so that I can set them up with Forum access. This will take several days and I will announce here when I have completed the task. Members who had access to the previous Forum should then try to access the Forum. This is acheived simply by logging in to PPRuNe with your user ID. You should then view the NATS Forum and be able to enter it. I'll provide more details once I've completed the first phase of data entry .......

For anyone who has not previously joined the NATS Forum and is qualified to do so, please email me your details which can confirm your employment within NATS along with the user name you wish to access the Forum with.

Regards

TrafficTraffic
23rd Apr 2002, 18:31
Hold on I havent even had a chance to upset anybody yet! Or Spel badly or have grammer bad!

Come on you two kiss and make up.....or there will be no more NATS stories before bedtime for either of you.

Dan Dare
24th Apr 2002, 12:30
I had a look on the NATS forum and wasn't too supprised to see

"There have been no posts in the last 1000 days in this forum. "

The quote is real (if the facts a little off), so mabee we're all better off out in the open anyway.

NATS Page (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=&forumid=87&pagenumber=1&daysprune=1000)

early go
24th Apr 2002, 17:36
Dan,

That's because only PPRuNe Radar and I have been able to get in for about the last month and a half or more :) And we have our own Admin Forum to talk about the sort of stuff we might need to talk about without boring everyone else.

Just completed sorting through the first 100 or so known email addresses of the inmates of the old NATS Forum and have tied up around 60 user IDs from that. So some of you can now go in at your leisure. Only another 200+ to work through but I'll get there. Then I got to email everyone who I couldn't locate who is clever enough to have more than 1 email address !!!

This could last nearly as long as the NERC Project

;)

PPRuNe Radar
25th Apr 2002, 01:21
More details from the head Honcho

This new software only allows access to a private forum by assigning access priveledges to individuals. There is no other way. If you do not want to reveal your PPRuNe ID to your moderator then that is your choice but you will not be able to access a private forum without that access priveledge.

Unfortunately I cannot satisfy everyone as some people would rather have just a general password for access without having to reveal their ID to their moderator but this allows abuse because many people just give out the password to their friends and it propagates until there are so many people who not eligible for access to their company forum that those for whom it was intended in the first place don't bother to use it. On the other hand, with this new system you have to trust your moderator with your PPRuNe ID as they have to verify that you are eligible for access and then have to change your access priveledges which means that there is someone who knows your identity. Shouldn't be a problem if you do not intend to break the rules but if you do not trust your moderator then you will have to do without your company forum.

Time will tell if this will work but as there is no other way of providing access to the private airline forums there is no other choice. Some moderators allow access to anyone who is employed by their company and others only allow pilots. That is their perogative. Many of the companies acknowledge the forums and actually encourage their use as it gives them (management) an opportunity to read what their workforce are saying about them and even if the discussion is on the wrong track they then know that they have to deal with some issues they maybe had not considered previously.

I have always explained it to management that they should treat the content posted anonymously as though they had a bug in the crew room. They may not know who is saying what but they know what is being said. Even if the rumours that tend to circulate are false they will know that they have to either substantiate or quash those rumours. It is all about information, whether true or false, you have to deal with it.

So, please make your choice as to whether you want a private company forum. Many of them have operated quaite successfully for a long time with their moderators requiring PPRuNe ID in order to provide access with no problems. Obviously a few companies do not like their staff having access to all this new technology and being abe to discuss amongst themselves, issues that concern their employers and that shows in the number of people who are fearful of voicing anything even from behind the cloak of anonymity (with the exception of their moderator). Private forum moderators are selected because of their enthusiasm for PPRuNe and their trustworthyness to keep any private information they hold about any of their memebers secure and we have a reputation here of looking after that integrity.

--------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

early go
26th Apr 2002, 01:10
Burnt some more midnight oil and we now have 90+ PPRuNers with access to the Forum. If you're one of them, you should hopefully have got an email letting you know.

Another 70 or so couldn't be matched, and again, an email should have been recieved letting you know what you need to do to get Forum access.

If you've received nothing, then you're either one of the 165 people I still have to process, or you are one of the handful whose provided email address has bounced.

I'll keep you all updated and ask for your patience in the meantime. After everyone has been processsed I'll let you know. Once that is done and you think that you should have had access after that but haven't received an email letting you know your status, then you will need to get in touch with me to make the arrangements. I will let you know what I need from you in a post on this thread.

Thanks

PPRuNe Radar
27th Apr 2002, 10:14
The NATS Forum members we know of have now all been processed and emails sent advising them of this. If any member of NATS staff wishes access to the private Forum or was a member and has not recieved an email, then please get in touch so we can arrange for you to be given the access rights.

And the spat with TrafficTraffic is now over .... he's on parole ;)