PDA

View Full Version : Plane grounded in Canada's north

Yankee Whisky
4th Jun 2012, 16:29
Canadian North grounds Nunavut flight crew - North - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2012/06/02/north-qikiqtarjuaq-plane-grounded.html)

Any further info?

surveytheworld
4th Jun 2012, 22:35
CADOR #2012C2180

The RCMP detachment in Iqaluit advised Transport Canada that a crew member of a Canadian North DHC-8 from Iqaluit (CYFB) to Qikiqtarjuaq (CYVM) was detained on suspicion of flying with an elevated blood-alcohol level. Canadian North Operations in Edmonton were reportedly contacted by a security officer at the Iqaluit airport who advised them that a crew member on the flight to CYVM smelled of alcohol. Canadian North called the RCMP and requested that the flight be met. The aircraft landed without incident and the crew was brought to the local detachment for questioning. Based on the interviews, a blood test was authorized and conducted by a local nurse. Charges under the Canadian Criminal Code are pending, based on the test results. Aviation Enforcement and RCMP are co-operating in the investigation.

jeff748
6th Jun 2012, 06:13
Schurely this pilot is the FIRST pilot to be at the controls in the north with a wee dram in him.
I'm curious about why the flight was allowed to depart from YFB in the first place.
If the guard was suspicious about why the crew member smelled of alcohol, why didn't he act right then and there and prevent the flight from departing?
If the said pilot was over the limit he should have called in sick, or gone absent and then dealt with the consequences on his own terms, but I really hope the guy is cleared and sues the living s#!t out of all concerned.

Rather Be Skiing
6th Jun 2012, 06:34
Schurely this pilot is the FIRST pilot to be at the controls in the north with a wee dram in him.
I'm curious about why the flight was allowed to depart from YFB in the first place.
If the guard was suspicious about why the crew member smelled of alcohol, why didn't he act right then and there and prevent the flight from departing?
If the said pilot was over the limit he should have called in sick, or gone absent and then dealt with the consequences on his own terms, but I really hope the guy is cleared and sues the living s#!t out of all concerned.

So are you suggesting if he is NOT the FIRST then it is ok?

+TSRA
6th Jun 2012, 19:29
The aircraft landed without incident and the crew was brought to the local detachment for questioning. Based on the interviews, a blood test was authorized and conducted by a local nurse. Charges under the Canadian Criminal Code are pending, based on the test results. Aviation Enforcement and RCMP are co-operating in the investigation.

Sounds to me like the guy (or gal) might not have a leg to stand on. If after the interviews they conducted a blood test and as a result of that blood test charges are being laid, I would suggest that the pilot in question had over the limit of alcohol in their blood.

I too wonder though if the guard had suspicion at the departure aerodrome, why was the flight allowed to leave? That in of itself should be a separate investigation. If challenged in YFB the pilot may have elected to go back to the hotel and call in sick - in that case intent is harder to prove than the actual action itself and the worst case scenario might be a formal reprimand by the company.

Not that I condone this at all. I think if the pilot is found to be guilty they should be removed from the ranks and stripped of their license. There is absolutely no reason for having a level of alcohol in your blood anywhere near the legal limit and I've always thought that we have spent enough money, time, and effort getting to an airline that to lose it all because you want a drink is a very immature decision not only to yourself but your passengers and crew.

jeff748
7th Jun 2012, 02:05
No, I am not suggesting that the Cdn North's pilots behavior correct or professional, but he certainly was not the first to be in that situation.

Rather Be Skiing
7th Jun 2012, 07:03
No, I am not suggesting that the Cdn North's pilots behavior correct or professional, but he certainly was not the first to be in that situation.

Nor, I am afraid will they be the last. If it was a one off misjudgment, it will be a costly one. If it is due to a more chronic problem hopefully it will result in them getting help to overcome it.

treykule
14th Jun 2012, 10:44
While I recognize alcoholism is a disease, assuming this pilot was an alcoholic and assigning him the role of victim is premature . Many people's lives were put at undue risk.

Odd that no more details or the pilot's name have been released.

There are some troubling details here..Where was the rest of the crew in all this? Why when it was reported in FRB, was the pilot allowed to fly two more legs.. He might have been incapacitaed but the rest of the crew allowed it to happen intentionally.

I hope this does not get buried and the facts come out.

J.O.
18th Jun 2012, 10:44
Alcoholism is one thing - a disease that should be treated as such. It is NOT a character flaw.

But, assuming that the accusation is true, coming to work with the intention of flying when one is under the influence cannot be tolerated. It doesn't matter whether the person is an alcoholic or just someone who had a few too many / drank too close to departure time. Even if the security person had told them to cease and desist, it doesn't change the fact that they came to work with a clear intent to go flying. Simply going back to the hotel and booking off isn't a get out of jail free card. What if they didn't get caught???