PDA

View Full Version : Doha Recruiting

JAGH
4th Jun 2012, 15:14
I heard recently that there is to be a major recruitment drive in Doha , requiring anything between 50 and 80 approach controllers . Has anybody else heard this

Chilli Monster
4th Jun 2012, 17:58
That rumour has been doing the rounds for a couple of months - still rumour I believe.

SandMan74
4th Jun 2012, 19:57
The new airport is due to open in December with the old one staying open until mid next year. More tower controllers are required for the split site not to mention radar are very short staffed as it is. Poor roster pattern (3 on 1 off) combined with uncompetitive salary for the region, 45 days annual leave (to be taken in only 3 blocks) and QCAA not paying full school fees mean people are looking elsewhere.

I have heard a mass exodus is due in the near future which could make a challenging environment even worse (a friend I have there reports that there will be only 6 radar ATCOs available in August due to annual leave and resignations).

Unless things change there it will only get worse. Do yourself a favour if you're looking and come to the UAE :ok:

HeathrowDictator
4th Jun 2012, 20:06
Recruitment is an ongoing process. One new starter has recently arrived and the rumour amongst the troops is that several more are "in waiting". It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't launch a big drive considering the new airport is due to open in December!

TRACKBALL
4th Jun 2012, 20:34
Where are the recruiting announcements posted?

Does QCAA hire directly, or is it contracted?

eastern wiseguy
5th Jun 2012, 16:13
Do they have an age limit? Would they accept recently retired NATS approach/approach radar rated ATCO's? :)

CuitoCuanavale
5th Jun 2012, 18:02
Recruitment is a fluid process, as it is anywhere.

NDIA will require more controllers.

Check QCAA website for ATS contact details.

Arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible ref contract structure and working conditions prior to committing.

Once you have committed take cognisance of the fact that you made the committment decision - it is a life changing decision and must not be made lightly. In short - be discerning, and when you do commit - realise that it was you as an adult that made the decision - nobody was forcing your hand.

There are many challenges ahead - especially with the growth rate of the national airline. Controlling in this region is challenging and dually rewarding.

As with any career there are pro's and cons....that is a given - take responsibility for your decision and move forward.

Ciao.

DctHld
5th Jun 2012, 20:00
What about the roster, saw someone saying 3 on 1 off, how is this working out?
How many shifts are there a day, I mean if there are only 6 radar controllers available, I would rather think it will be 7 days on, no days off!

2control
9th Jun 2012, 14:37
There is simulation going on. Will there be a plan on how to handle the traffic to/from NDIA?

CuitoCuanavale
9th Jun 2012, 19:29
NDIA is the nexus in the simulation, amongst others.

Airspace re-design and SID's and STAR's are being vetted as well.

Automation may not yet be fully integrated at DIA, but high traffic level projection (NDIA) and increased focus on automation (NDIA) is one of the simulation yard-sticks.

2control
11th Jun 2012, 09:41
Sounds great :D Is there also simulation on how to move the traffic on ground at NDIA?

CuitoCuanavale
11th Jun 2012, 16:55
Yes, amongst others - GMC - R is part of validation process for NDIA.

2control
12th Jun 2012, 08:34
Very good! It seems like Doha will be a great place to work at as an ATCO. Congratulations :ok:
If I had been at the right age I would have tried to get hired ;)
I think Doha is a great place to live in. I was there in the fall 2010 and wouldn't mind coming back.

Rule3
12th Jun 2012, 16:00
What is the right age?:confused:

Mr. Ron
21st Jun 2012, 12:55
I have had some involvement in the New Doha International Airport evolution and can say clearly that the opening date of 12/12/12 is almost an arbitrary date set by a 'sexy date' desire as opposed to a program. The primary contractor is Bechtel with Selex providing the ATC and Nav systems in their own time. QCAA and their hired help are not the most dynamic in the ME and probably do not recognise the value of the expertise they need to hire. Doha is a relatively small city with a few blessings but if you want a simple sedentary lifestyle than its quite acceptable. The new airport does offer excellant equipment to make the job better than average but I suspect the bureaucracy will dampen any youthful enthusiasm. If the money is fine, then sit back and enjoy it for a few years; making waves will not gain anything.

ferris
21st Jun 2012, 19:42
On the subject of money: What of the rumours, Mr. Ron? Many, many, wait in the wings.

Guy D'ageradar
22nd Jun 2012, 06:45
The one we heard yesterday sounded tasty!

JAGH
25th Jun 2012, 08:23
Anyone care to elaborate on the salary rumours they have heard as this is after all a rumour network

SINGAPURCANAC
25th Jun 2012, 10:44
all a rumour network

just as a rumour, i read somewhere, ;)

better than Dubai

it means around 15000+ eurs/month ,all inclusive

but nobody confirms....

JAGH
25th Jun 2012, 11:50
If that salary is accurate I'm sure there will be great interest .

10 DME ARC
25th Jun 2012, 12:07
If whats going around DXB is true .........then lots of interest here!!!

throw a dyce
25th Jun 2012, 16:32
Are the ATC Mercenaries moving to a fresh sandpit.:zzz::zzz:

LoserGill
25th Jun 2012, 19:36
I don't think it is anywhere near 15000 Euro/month!

rocky01
25th Jun 2012, 22:13
No contacts on the QCAA site, where do I send my CV?:cool:

Rocky01

360BakTrak
26th Jun 2012, 08:01
I don't think it is anywhere near 15000 Euro/month!

That depends if you are looking solely at cash in the bank every month, or the whole package. If you include the accomodation (company provided) then you're looking at about a 12000 euro/month package, maybe a bit more.

dan saaf
26th Jun 2012, 17:08
works out about £6,000 a month (depending on currency rates) per month.

Plus free furnished accommodation, utilities included, 1x flight home to 'point of hire' a year, and some schooling costs (up to a maximum limit, which isn't really enough if you have more than 1 kid!)

:=

SINGAPURCANAC
26th Jun 2012, 19:15
stand by all,
isn't package for Dubai
10000 eurs -salary ( 50 000 drihams)
+ accomodation
+ ticket for holiday
+some additional benefits...?

so, better than Dubai

means at least 15 000 eurs /month

if I calculated well :}

Guy D'ageradar
26th Jun 2012, 19:33
stand by all,
isn't package for Dubai
10000 eurs -salary ( 50 000 drihams)
+ accomodation
+ ticket for holiday
+some additional benefits...?

Dream on! :(

35k Dirhams pm = 7k euros. Hence why so many in Dubai are currently considering Doha! :E

SINGAPURCANAC
26th Jun 2012, 19:36
35k Dirhams pm = 7k euros
e? since when?

Plazbot
26th Jun 2012, 20:58
SINGAETC, you are one of the masters of talking about **** you have no idea about on this web site. A quick google will answer that AED/EUR question for you for you.

7.6 is the answer as of this minute.

360BakTrak
27th Jun 2012, 07:09
Does Dubai deduct the accomodation allowance from your salary over the course of the year as per (I believe) Abu Dhabi do?

Tower Ranger
27th Jun 2012, 08:04
The housing allowance is paid yearly as a lump sum, 190k no kids 210K married with kids. With other allowances included it averages out at around 55k dhs pcm. The rumour for Doha is around 65K dhs pcm with housing provided which is enough of a premium over Dubai to make it worth a look for many.

360BakTrak
27th Jun 2012, 11:47
65K? Where has that rumour come from?

Tower Ranger
27th Jun 2012, 20:00
An airport near you, lol.

360BakTrak
28th Jun 2012, 04:08
Well its certainly rumour & no where near fact!!!!! Lol

65K........and pigs might fly, even in the Middle East!!!:E

SINGAPURCANAC
28th Jun 2012, 07:31
55k dhs pcm. The rumour for Doha is around 65K dhs pcm

thanks mate for clarification.
we have some experts here so it is nice to have an oportunity to answer them properly.
:E

@plazbot,
disregard pm, it is not valid anymoore,:E

Tower Ranger
28th Jun 2012, 07:38
360, only passing on what i've heard mentioned at work, so what is your best guess?

possibleconsequences
28th Jun 2012, 08:10
Doha,after recent pay rise, pays 35k dhs.

Guy D'ageradar
28th Jun 2012, 08:55
Doha,after recent pay rise, pays 35k dhs.

Incorrect. Doha, after recent payrise pays 40k plus 5k a month "operational" allowance.

360BakTrak
28th Jun 2012, 09:40
Guy......correct for APP, but I believe TWR receive only the flat 40K, and that is where the recruitment (if any?!) will be for NDIA.

Guy D'ageradar
28th Jun 2012, 10:17
I stand corrected - didn't know they differentiated salaries between Twr and App.

Maybe we should try that here......:E

rocky01
28th Jun 2012, 11:55
Hi folks,

Perhaps one of you guys comfortably ensconsed in the dunes already, could enlighten me who I send a CV to...???;)

Rocky01

Catwalk Dweller
28th Jun 2012, 13:32
Well, whatever the correct salary figure is, it's certainly a heck of a lot better than the 12,000 QR a month I earned when I was there roundabout 10 to 12 years ago . . . however, the accommodation was paid for, and I must say it was superb.

Red Dragon
28th Jun 2012, 15:45
[QUOTE]I stand corrected - didn't know they differentiated salaries between Twr and App.

Maybe we should try that here....../QUOTE]

That's fighting talk Guy. There's probably 60 or so tower controllers that would like to 'discuss' that with you!

;)

Guy D'ageradar
29th Jun 2012, 01:03
That's fighting talk Guy. There's probably 60 or so tower controllers that would like to 'discuss' that with you!

Sure is - and I'm far from the first to mention it here.

Taking into account the huge difference in workload / complexity between the two these days, I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen, eventually.

Let battle commence....... ;)

Tower Ranger
29th Jun 2012, 09:11
I agree, Dxb Tower is way mOre complex than radar so Guy if you feel you should take a pay freeze for a while I'm sure it could be arranged lol!

Guy D'ageradar
29th Jun 2012, 10:22
Even I'm not going to bite on that! :rolleyes:

rocky01
2nd Jul 2012, 08:47
Hmmm:( nobody seems to have any info...who do I send a CV to please???

Rocky01

TRACKBALL
4th Jul 2012, 06:33
"QCAA hire directly. It's fairly informal if you are recommended by somebody already working there. No interview required. I believe recruiment is ongoing"

"Recruitment is a fluid process, as it is anywhere. Check QCAA website for ATS contact details."

Civil Aviation Authority | State of Qatar (http://www.caa.gov.qa/)

UpperATC
4th Jul 2012, 10:59
rocky01,

did you try the direct Qatari CAA link for Job Application?

Job form | Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.gov.qa/en/job-application)

Pedrofern
7th Jul 2012, 08:56
Hi, sorry to ask about this again but, is the shift pattern always 3 days on, 1 day off? (guess it's morning, afternoon, night, day off). I know it's been said but it just seem a terrible shift to me. It means your only days off are after a night shift and that you nrvet have 2 days off together!!. It seems a very tough shift to me, specially if you are looking for a place to work more than a couple of years. I thought the 6-4 pattern was the usual one in the gulf region.

Thanks!

Rule3
7th Jul 2012, 17:04
Never ceases to amaze me that :mad:people expect to come to the Sandpit get megadollars, and do SFA work. :{

Catwalk Dweller
8th Jul 2012, 12:57
I worked that shift in Doha for quite some time, and believe me, it's work - especially when you're rostered on alone and you work the entire shift by yourself.

Rule3
8th Jul 2012, 21:46
Cat,

I am not talking about those that have, or do work here, just the :mad:Wannabies.:ok:

360BakTrak
10th Jul 2012, 19:50
Shifts; morning, afternoon, night, sleep, off, repeat. NO solo shifts.

dan saaf
11th Jul 2012, 11:03
just plain not true to say there are no solo shifts. Maybe no rostered solo shifts...

Pedrofern
11th Jul 2012, 11:19
Thanks for the information. As it's been said it is a very important decision and having all the information is necessary.

By the way, when I talked about the 6-4 pattern it's just because that's the one I'be been told there is at Bahrein and Abu-dhabi (by people working there). Never wanted to argue!! :D

Thanks!

iamureyes
19th Jul 2012, 15:02
Anyone of you guys worked in Doha before?
I need an insider view of things....no silly questions, promice :-)

I will send me CV (thanks for the links) but is this rumour for a real or we just loosing our time...just wondering. anyone reviewed or even hired by now...it would be nice to hear what are their terms.
Generally interested in moving to M. East....Europe is not for me anymore...at least my part of Europe is a low pay hopeless situation...dont want to waste my time, skills and experience anymore down here.
I see a lot of people here are already working in some pretty exotic "sandy" places :-) I am very much interested to hear from them, please PM me....seriously interested to make things happen, any outside help, or recommendation will be "highly appreciated".

Thank you guys and have a nice day :-)