PDA

View Full Version : The queen's 146?

ILS27R
31st Mar 2002, 16:14
On the news I saw the Queen's 146. Why is there camera pods located just behind the rear door of the aircraft on both sides just under the fin. What purpose do these serve?

Unwell_Raptor
31st Mar 2002, 16:35
Are you quite sure they are cameras?

PaperTiger
31st Mar 2002, 18:30
No, not cameras.
I'll say no more.

Unwell_Raptor
31st Mar 2002, 18:38
I thought not!

ILS27R
31st Mar 2002, 19:23
So we're none the wiser. They appear to be some sort of optical device as they appear to have a glass aperture and the ability to rotate. So if its not a camera what is it???

cheers,

ILS27R

M.Mouse
31st Mar 2002, 19:27
ILS27R do you really expect security measures for the Monarch to be discussed in detail here?

FlapsOne
31st Mar 2002, 19:30
It's their old ITV Digital box...........will be replaced soon!!

Deeko01
31st Mar 2002, 20:19
Aren't they if the aircraft come under fire to deflect missiles?? correct me if I am wrong but I am 70% sure thats correct

gas_man
31st Mar 2002, 20:29
it could be an anti missile flare system.
it could be an infra red detector for night vision.
it may be a camera as you say ....the 146 may have other roles ....eg reconaisson work.
it could be a electronic warfare pod to fool enemy missiles or radar.

or maybe it is just a piece of plastic to frighten everyone.

you won't get the right answer though ..... for obvious reasons.

prasanna
:cool:

A Very Civil Pilot
1st Apr 2002, 22:41
Isn't it to give Prince Charles a bit more help in finding the end of the runway?

springbok449
2nd Apr 2002, 06:56
The Royal Jordanian private Tristar also has some, wonder what they are there for??? ;)

Delta Wun-Wun
2nd Apr 2002, 11:07
They are part of the VHF and HF radio system that is used to communicate with the Alien Mothership.It allows the Aliens to activate the Chem-trails automatically.........Honest!:D :D

steamchicken
2nd Apr 2002, 11:46
I had an idea about this...but I'm wondering whether it's wise to post as it might be right (and it's got nothing to do with aliens or drugs....well, maybe Prince Charles)

Tucano
2nd Apr 2002, 12:02
Gentlemen/Ladies,

Might I please suggest some caution to those who reply to his thread. Alterations to military aircraft are not for general public knowledge, and whereas I understand these 'bumps' may be an interesting topic to ponder it is not a brilliant idea to discuss their use on a public forum. Whether you know or not what they do, please don't post it around. Without being rude, most simply don't need to know.

This page is monitored by RAF Intel so discretion is probably a good idea.

Tucano

ILS27R
2nd Apr 2002, 15:27
My apologies for bringing up this subject. I didn't realise at the time of writing that it was such a guarded secret. In fact the BBC zoomed inadvertently in on the questioned device by showing the Prince’s bags being removed from the rear door, hence capturing my interest in the process.

Surely I would have thought that the discussion of airport security issues would be more construed as a threat to public/national safety than whatever device is on this particular aircraft.

I will leave it up to the good judgement of the moderators what to do with this thread.

Apologies again,

ILS27R

Unwell_Raptor
2nd Apr 2002, 18:16
Don't lose any sleep, ILS. If it was that secret the aircraft would not be that visible to the telly.

PaperTiger
2nd Apr 2002, 19:36
What they are is no big secret in general I think. How they work might be. Still it probably is not a good idea to dwell on it in a public forum. If only to keep the blood pressure of the military types here down.

regor
2nd Apr 2002, 19:42
The Queen's 146?

I was under the impression it belonged to us taxpayers!:D

p.s. I'm not really a republican

Taxidriver
2nd Apr 2002, 20:01
ILS

i) Pods. It is plural - so it should be "Why ARE there etc etc , not why IS there ..."

ii) You can't really be serious about this question can you? Nobody can really be that stupid.

April Fool's Day was yesterday wasn't it?

Denti
2nd Apr 2002, 21:09
If you really want to get that information, just ask janes (www.janes.co.uk). You might have to pay something for it, but they most certanly have the information and are willing to sell it.

PPRuNe Radar
2nd Apr 2002, 22:02
Back issues of Air Forces Monthly are usually good if you want some idea. Probably with the manufacturer and model numbers too.

Cyclic Hotline
3rd Apr 2002, 04:06
This was an innocent question, about a piece of very visible equipment installed on a very public aircraft, shown everywhere.

Far from being secret information on a sensitive issue, lets have a quick stroll through the public domain. I know nothing about the particlars of this A/C or equipment, but what I found was pretty interesting.

A detail picture of the aircraft showing the installed equipment.

The manufacturers web site, with a press release and description of the system.

Detailed pictures of the equipment on the manufacturers web-site.

A US Government report on the capabilities and procurement of the system.

A UK DoD report on the system, which states which A/C types it will be installed on.

A really superb report detailing the operating theory and effectiveness of the system, the threat and use of MANPADS, detailed system capability and build, photographs of active testing and much more.

I am not advocating the distribution of sensitive or classified materials, simply that before anyone gets too carried away about this topic, the answers are already out there for ANYBODY to access (free) on Google.

Of course, I can't divulge any of this myself, but it's British technology, made in the UK and EVERYONE wants it.

Ace Rimmer
4th Apr 2002, 13:58
Let's not get too stressed here we may KNOW what they are but the real question should be "Will they take the kit off when the a/c is flogged - See ad in GA Buyer and elsewhere. Mid-fuselage bogs are in the ad's spec list but no mention of the kit associated with sticky out bits!! Also no mention of the the PoW's "off road testing" either!