PDA

View Full Version : How to make a career in flight safety?

JIC
23rd May 2012, 20:43
Hi.

I would very much like to hear how some of you guys have made into your flight safety career.

How did you start, any courses, did you start in the training department or how did you get into it?

pilotmike7
24th May 2012, 09:07
I would suggest that you get a NEBOSH Diploma or a Msc in Aviation Safety, both the same level of standard and will put you in good form to manage a safety department.

Once you have these you could apply for an officer position in a flight safety department or OHS department and work your way up.

Hope this helps

JIC
26th May 2012, 10:21
Any places that are better than others?

Spitoon
29th May 2012, 15:19
How to make a career in flight safety?Screw up....big time.

More seriously - well, slightly - don't know much about NEBOSH but there are a range of Masters level courses about aviation safety (or if you're of an engineering persuasion, safety-critical systems) from different universities around the world. They all have slightly different flavours and many offer modular courses which enable you do short sessions on site supplemented by work and study elsewhere (like at work).

No doubt some are 'better' than others but the best approach would be to find a course that looks interesting to you and that covers topics that you would like to work with and then sound out past students and try to gauge how well respected the qualification is. If the UK is easy for for you Cranfield is a good place to start looking for aviation related (especially if you want to combine your studies with management topics) courses and, I think, Leeds for more general safety-critical systems type courses.

HTH