PDA

View Full Version : QSY en route

egtc flyer
20th May 2012, 14:56
hi ladies and gents, my first post so bear with me.

i often listen to atc mainly luton and cranfield and regularly hear the term QSY en route. what exactly does this mean? is it the same as "free call en route"

regards

2 sheds
20th May 2012, 15:47
Yes. Do tell us that you don't hear it from ATC - it went out with the Ark!

2 s

eastern wiseguy
20th May 2012, 16:12
QSY = Change frequency.....

2Sheds....it is used extensively by our military colleagues here in NI .

BDiONU
20th May 2012, 16:13
From yea olde days and from whence QNH, QFE etc. originated Q code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_code)

DC10RealMan
20th May 2012, 16:33
I use it regularly when flying.
I am not ex-military, but I am very very old!

2 sheds
20th May 2012, 16:58
.it is used extensively by our military colleagues here in NI .
but this makes it neither current nor correct. It is this old-fogeyish adherence to out-of-date, therefore incorrect procedures, that causes confusion for newcomers to aviating.

2 s

Lon More
20th May 2012, 17:50
old-fogeyish adherence to out-of-date, therefore incorrect procedures, that causes confusion for newcomers to aviating.
Although dating from the London Radiotelegraph Convention of 1912 I believe they are still in ICAO DOC 8400 Abbreviations and Codes, last updated in August 2010.

fantom
20th May 2012, 18:29
2 Sheds,

You clearly have all the attributes reqd of a CAA inspector.

From the early 70s.

eastern wiseguy
20th May 2012, 18:35
2 Sheds

but this makes it neither current nor correct.

I made no such claim for it. I was REPORTING not condoning or supporting.

Jeez a new guy asks a question and you instantly jam a jobsworth hat on ......you must be fun at social gatherings:*

2 sheds
20th May 2012, 20:09
No need for those comments, chaps. I quite understand that Eastern was just reporting it - while I was deploring it! As I said, newcomers to aviation, apart from being confused, must think that some of us are real old duffers incapable of keeping up-to-date - just as we viewed those who went on perpetuating "Queenie Nan How" for years after the change of phonetic alphabet! Don't think Doc 8400 recognises QSY, does it?

2 s

Waterfordman
20th May 2012, 20:26
QSY is still and actively used in Ham Radio. I'd be lost without it, when someone tries to take a freq.

chevvron
20th May 2012, 21:48
The CAA (in my recollection) told all ATSUs to stop using QSY in about 1980 or slightly later.

DC10RealMan
21st May 2012, 11:04
I feel suitably reprimanded and shall change my ways immediately

middles
21st May 2012, 13:40
QSY is SOP at the Silverstone heliport during the British F1 Grand Prix.The frequencies are pre-briefed to pilots before the event and the use of a single instruction to "QSY" minimises RT.

Brilliant Stuff
21st May 2012, 17:59
I was taught at school QSY was dead only to find i tbeing used during the Silverstone GP I therefore assumed it's still being used hence I have been using it ever since. Rightly or Wrongly.

Does wikipedia say what the SY stands for? I am told it's thanks to the folk across the pond See Ya.

Could someone enlighten me why it is so Verboten?

chevvron
21st May 2012, 23:21
It's use is verboten 'cos the CAA (when they feel like it) try to comply with ICAO regs, although it often takes a diktat from JAA/EASA to kick start it.
This is why we recently changed to hector pastilles from the 'nothing wrong except it's not ICAO' millibars, and why we have to use either 4 or 6 digits (not 5) when giving frequency changes.
After all, why say something as quick and easy as 'QSY' when you can require everyone to say something longer? What next I wonder, 'the sea level pressure setting is XXXX hector pascols' instead of 'the QNH is...'?

ZOOKER
22nd May 2012, 20:14
So,
the phraseologies:-
'I'm just going for a QNL / QNS* are totally out of whack then.

* Delete as applicable. :E

TractorBoy
22nd May 2012, 20:34
Strangely enough I heard "QSY en route" the other day while keeping a listening watch with Essex Radar.

I hasten to add it wasn't Essex Radar that used it, but the pilot...

Another_CFI
22nd May 2012, 20:38
Why do the the CAA ban the use of QSY but still allow the use of QDM,QDR, QTE, QUJ, QNE, QFE and QNH etc? If you want further comments then, QRC?

bingofuel
22nd May 2012, 21:07
QED..........

GAPSTER
23rd May 2012, 06:40
TractorBoy

Keep listening...you'll hear it from the ATC side on occasion as well.

"Proud to be keeping the Q code alive"

Tacklebury
23rd May 2012, 07:25
What about QPR ?

spekesoftly
23rd May 2012, 07:57
What about QPR ?

Kicked into touch a long time ago.

Brilliant Stuff
23rd May 2012, 10:31
Considering how busy the frequency can get sometimes I don't think anyone will haul me over the coals if I continue to use QSY. As mentioned before there are bigger fish to fry...

Lon More
24th May 2012, 07:22
why we have to use either 4 or 6 digits (not 5) when giving frequency changes.
That's to do with 8.33 KHz frequency spacing IIRC

Don't forget the "Queen Fox Easy äs still used by an Irish (Republican) mate