PDA

View Full Version : From mechanic to pilot

iTom
19th May 2012, 12:33
Hi,

I've read the "So you want to be a helicopter pilot" thread and I couldn't find answers...

I'm a Part-66 B1.3 Engineer currently working as a crew member (HEMS, power line survey).

Like many people, I want to be a pilot

I'd like to do a CPL/IR/ATPL training but I won't learn you that it's expensive...

I was wondering if working in school as engineer could be a way to pay the training.

Do you know people who did that ?

Do you think that a previous experience as crew member (approx 1400 flight hours) could be appreciated by operator ?

What are you experiences and advices about that ?

Regards,

Thomas

Adam Nams
20th May 2012, 09:26
Hi Thomas,

For what it is worth, I know of several military crewmen and engineers who have gone through military pilot training and have made very good pilots.

Obviously, your case is a little different as you are having to find ways to fund yourself through training. You previous expereince may or may not be recognised by any future employer, but I feel that you will have a distinct advantage as your previous enigineering and crew member experience will make you more aware as to what the rest of the crew are experiencing and therefore a better pilot.

Best of luck. Don't give up on your dream - despite working in (and sometimes below) the cabin, when I am flying it is still the best job in the world. :ok:

iTom
26th May 2012, 10:38
Hi

thank you for your answer Adam,

I asked Héli-Union for a CPL/IR/Theorical ATPL training, total cost : approx 185 000 €

Then I thought about switching between FLC 1 and 2 regulation to reduce cost.

I explain :

Passing an integrated CPL(H) in a FTO then theorical ATPL/IR (distance learning)
Next, PPL(A) with night rating and some hours to pass an IR SEP (A)
And finally convert my IR(A) to an IR(H)

Questions :

What do you think about that ?
Did you already try this way ?
Do you know other mechanic who switched to pilot ?
Do you think it's possible as en engineer to deal with school (by working for them or giving a hand in maintenance) to reduce cost ?
In your opinion, could an experience in maintenance and flight (approx 1500hrs in power line survey and HEMS) be "a kind of advantage" to get a job after ?

Thanks for your help and feedback

Regards,

Thomas