PDA

View Full Version : ANR sends you deaf?

norwester33
17th May 2012, 22:23
I love my Bose but a bloke was saying ANR will send you deaf?, any thoughts or facts.
Did the usual research on the net and still yes/no really, your wonderful responses will be waited upon........
He said the RAAF has got rid of them for that reason?

Altimeters
17th May 2012, 23:12
I've heard the same thing. Something to do with active noise canceling that it uses a higher pitch frequency to block out the ambient noise. This in turn slowly sends you deaf first in the higher range. Passive noise canceling on the other hand uses normal ear plugs and no batteries required much like the clarity aloft headsets.

That's just my basic understanding. I could be completely wrong however. :confused:

tmpffisch
17th May 2012, 23:31
Jee, I thought it was basic physics how it worked, ANR just uses phase cancellation. I think the argument revolves around whether the sound wave is still present when it's been cancelled, which is nonsense...

VH-XXX
17th May 2012, 23:37
You would need to consider the amount of time you spend flying to determine if you are likely to be affected either way.

2 hours a weekend versus 8 hours a day...

I find standard soft earplugs work well under almost any headset.

alidad
18th May 2012, 00:40
What ever the answer, it is not much fun suffering industrial noise deafness; trust me.:(

baswell
18th May 2012, 01:33
Not sure where that nonsense comes from, but I have heard others spread it too. The only way to actively cancel out noise is to cancel out the sound waves, thus reducing the pressure of them.

Active noise control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control)

laser650
18th May 2012, 04:14
The government probably instructed the RAAF to issue ear plugs cause they are cheaper than a Bose or LightSpeed Zulu????? :ugh:

Now in all seriousness, I have been using ANR headsets since 1997. I use to be fatigued after instructing for about 6 hours in a C152. Once I started on ANR there is no way I could go back. Trust me after my headsets went in for a service it was terrible to use non ANR. All up, my hearing from Tests is in the excellent range and there is no evidence of deteriation, even with me being in my very early forties. :ok:

185skywagon
18th May 2012, 07:27
I am a recent convert to anr.
I am far less fatigued after an 8-9 hour day than I used to be with a passive helmet.

I had concerns as some above have had, but no longer.

A Squared
18th May 2012, 08:21
Something to do with active noise canceling that it uses a higher pitch frequency to block out the ambient noise. This in turn slowly sends you deaf first in the higher range.

That ain't the way ANR works. It does not mask the noise, nor is it just merely causing the noise to not be perceived. It physically makes the noise (mostly) cease to exist within the protected area. And it certainly doesn't do it by using a higher frequency. The entire process is dependent on using the identical frequency as the noise to be eliminated.

NIK320
18th May 2012, 09:09
I've tried both the earplugs under the headset trick and ANR.
ANR is much better, on all fronts.
Less fatigue, less noise and radio is lower volume.

The earplug trick is great if you have a standard old headset, downside is if your flying with anyone using ANR they will get annoyed when you keep turning the radio up to hear the thing properly.

Clearedtoreenter
18th May 2012, 12:27
ANR sends you deaf??? What, you mean you are better off without it?

Well, I've sure met many older pilots with significant hearing loss, who never used ANR.

It's pretty certain if you fly and don't do something to protect your hearing, you'll go deaf.

aileron_69
18th May 2012, 12:44
I got an ANR helmet a couple of years back and would not go back to the old one with no ANR, but I still find I need earplugs in addition to the ANR, its just so much more comfortable when it is nice and quiet. Its just too noisy with the airvents all open.

MakeItHappenCaptain
18th May 2012, 15:38
ANR send you deaf?

You missed April Fool's day by a month and a half.

Let's see some proof before you start trying to sell that whopper.:rolleyes:

neville_nobody
18th May 2012, 18:49
I had similar concerns but could never get the bottom of it. i asked a audioligist once and they didn't know but couldnt see how it was harmful. My understanding is that ANR sends a counter soundwave cancelling the incoming sound. Does this actually increase the pressure on your eardrums though?

MakeItHappenCaptain
18th May 2012, 19:07
No. The mechanism is destructive interference (and not destructive to the eardrum). The undesired frequencies (ie. Non vocal) are sampled by a small microphone within the ear cup and a wave of completely opposite amplitude is broadcast to cancel the original signal out. The net result is NO sound at the attenuated frequency (theoretically). How can that possibly affect your hearing? It can't.:8

The only ANR that might possibly be harmful are those fitted ear plugs (which are, by the way, almost weightless and work very well) that could allow bacteria and moisture to build up withon the ear canal.

A Squared
18th May 2012, 19:34
Does this actually increase the pressure on your eardrums though?

No. It *reduces* the pressure on your ear drum. That's why it's quieter. Fewer, smaller, weaker sound waves reach your eardrum. It's really *is* that simple.

Runaway Gun
18th May 2012, 23:24
MAYBE someone was singing praises for ANR, and said something like "Now that I use ANR Headseats, I can hardly hear the engine..."

Typhoon650
19th May 2012, 02:45
I used a set of ANR/ bluetooth ear defenders in ground handling. They were the only way to eliminate that 98Db whistle from the super noisy APU on a 737.
And I could receive calls and talk to the boss whilst continuing to do my work. They even have ear defenders capable of being used with two way radios.
I don't know why this sort of technology isn't used far more commonly.

Runaway Gun
19th May 2012, 21:04
Probably because employers don't want to pay for the expense of this kit.

"What jasay Fella? Better Dead Bets? A 'n R? I don't know that band. What? I can't hear ya? Pay money for fancy headsets - Fook Off !!"

VH-XXX
19th May 2012, 23:34
I use earplugs under my ANR. Does wonders for me and I feel much less fatigued after long flights. It kinda stops pounding of sound into your ear arena and the side of your head versus straight into the ear if that makes sense. I find that it increases the quality of the audio, making it softer in terms of treble an makes it easier to comprehend radio calls.

But you are right, the volume does need to be much louder which might upset others.

havick
20th May 2012, 04:37
CEPs much preferred over ANR.

Also CEPs can be retrofit to just about any helmet/headset at minimal cost ($200 - $300).

ANR is utterly useless in a lot of helicopter operations except for maybe corporate helicopters.

morno
20th May 2012, 05:59
ANR is utterly useless in a lot of helicopter operations except for maybe corporate helicopters.

Not being a chopper pilot, I'm curious as to why this is the case?

morno

A Squared
20th May 2012, 06:37
Not being a chopper pilot, I'm curious as to why this is the case?

I'm curious as well.

baswell
20th May 2012, 07:06
Works great in my mate's R44!

VH-XXX
20th May 2012, 07:45
Not a "real" chopper Bas...

Capn Bloggs
20th May 2012, 13:19
CEPs much preferred over ANR.

Also CEPs can be retrofit to just about any helmet/headset at minimal cost ($200 - $300).
More info please, Havick. What's "CEP"?

27/09
21st May 2012, 10:08
CEP - Cheap Ear Protection :E