PDA

View Full Version : Engagement survey Results`The spin"

Firecat
16th May 2012, 08:58
Message from the CEO - Engagement Survey Results
The ExCo team and I have reviewed our Engagement Survey results this week. Our overall score was 66%, this was a 4% decline from last year, and is a true indication of the incredibly tough year we’ve just been through together.

We were not surprised to see our engagement levels decline. In a year where we had disruptive industrial action, the grounding of our fleet and many natural disasters, our people really bore the brunt of the negative impact these incidents had.

This doesn’t mean we all stop doing the things that will make Qantas a better place to work, as clearly we need to do more.

The good news is that two thirds of our people are engaged and believe in where we are headed as an organisation, and what we need to do to get there.

There were some highlights and positives in the results. We scored highly on all questions relating to safety and in particular we were above the national norm for training our people to safely conduct operations.

We also saw some strong results in areas that are going through a great deal of change, such as Catering and IT. This goes to show the dedication and commitment our people have to building a stronger Qantas.

Over the coming year, we are going to see fundamental changes in our business. This is not going to be easy for our people, but we have to make the changes necessary to ensure we have a sustainable business that can compete in the domestic and international markets.

Over May and June you will be hearing about your team’s engagement results from your manager. I ask you to be honest and to work with your managers to find ways to improve your local workplace. Early in June, ExCo and some of our Senior Leaders will be getting together to define a roadmap and work out what areas we can focus on.

We will come back to you after this workshop and let you know the action we will be taking to build a better and more engaged workforce. Where's the barff bag?

apache
16th May 2012, 09:32
Same memo, different year?

Jethro Gibbs
16th May 2012, 09:40
We will come back to you after this workshop and let you know the action we
will be taking to build a better and more engaged workforce

Your about to sack around 1200 people your workforce has already disconnected when you finally announce your decision it will be even worse and no survey will ever fix that.:mad:

ejectx3
16th May 2012, 09:55
"I ask you to be honest"...

Really Alan? really?

ohallen
16th May 2012, 10:13
Yep they probably want the honesty so they can work out the next area to hit. Seems about the most logical explanation for the management strategy that flows from this lot.

The The
16th May 2012, 10:34
The good news is that two thirds of our people are engaged and believe in where we are headed as an organisation, and what we need to do to get there.

Utter crap. The survey never asked questions like that? It was all stuff like do you like your job, do you have enough responsibility, what about you immediate superiors.

Not one question on the direction of the company. Nothing on what you think of the executive management, the board, nothing?

Ngineer
16th May 2012, 10:35
1 in 3 people are disengaged. Out of the 2 left, I would say 1 probably couldn't give a rats, whilst the other has his head up his arse, (or has only been around 5 minutes and wouldn't know whats unfolding).

As all have said, a splendid result AJ,......... NOT!!

golfjet744
16th May 2012, 11:30
Engagement decreasing by 4% doesn't sound like much. However it equates to an increase in lost productivity of nearly $100 million. In other words, around $650 million worth of productivity was lost because of disengagement in 11/12.

ALAEA Fed Sec
16th May 2012, 20:55
Our overall score was 66%

This only means that 66% of people returned a survey. I'd love to see the real results.

Keg
16th May 2012, 22:16
The thing I find surreal is why they bother spinning the result to their own employees. We know the reality of the situation as does everyone who works on the 'front line' of Qantas operations. It just further reduces the credibility of our 'exco' when they tell us the sky is yellow when we can all see that it's blue.

So I'm not sure why they bother. I'd have more respect for them if they admitted that they had some serious issues with engagement amongst some segments. The longer they delude themselves (and try and do the same to us) the longer it's going to be before this airline turns around.

ejectx3
16th May 2012, 22:20
Too true mr keg. A damn good question. What is the point of proclaiming "we are loved!" to the very people who just told them they are loathed?

Livs Hairdresser
16th May 2012, 23:16
G'day ampclamp,
I'd heard the exact opposite - that if you don't do the survey you're engaged. Kind of like if you're too apathetic to do the survey you mustn't be all that pissed off. Happy to be corrected. I'd also heard that senior execs bonuses were linked to improving engagement, so I guess they'll be spinning that any way they can so they can put their hands in the till (again).

IMHO, what needs to happen is one of the unions needs to run exactly the same survey and collect exactly the same data, so that when the company comes out with its bullsh!t interpretation of the results we can call their bluff.

ALAEA Fed Sec
17th May 2012, 01:28
IMHO, what needs to happen is one of the unions needs to run exactly the same survey and collect exactly the same data, so that when the company comes out with its bullsh!t interpretation of the results we can call their bluff.

I understand it is all ready to go.

bdcer
17th May 2012, 01:43
Keg et al,
It is really simple.

Firstly, they can't get into these exec jobs being THAT stupid.

Secondly, they want Q mainline costs down. So what costs can they bring down, labour & fuel. They've bought, well ordered, more fuel efficient acft....well, they think they are. For the labour, they need new awards. Q mainline guys/gals won't take a pay cut, so they bring in cheaper labour (Jetconnect, Jetstar & maybe a B scale).

So how do they get rid of Q mainline personnel? Offer up LWOP, talk doom & gloom, & disengage work force. They hope enough people walk, to avoid redundancies & retraining costs (to satisfy last on, first off). They're probably hoping many won't come back from LWOP.
It's hurting the brand & shrinking mainline, but they can keep blaming the workforce in the media & spruik how they are going to address the issues with their 3 year plan (time for 787 arrival & flush of most of old pay scale).

My first point, about not being that stupid, no one could be THAT blind to engagement. It's all part of the effort to get guys to walk from all ranks. They must love pprune, as we are helping them by getting all worked up (I'm guilty of getting worked up too!).

Livs Hairdresser
17th May 2012, 02:09
I understand it is all ready to go.

Excellent. Thanks Fed Sec.

Just a thought. QF has shown that they have an unlimited budget when it comes to making management look good and the staff look bad eg social media team, the whole OW circus, etc. Is there anything to stop them bombarding the union survey with the results they want? Maybe the union survey shouldn't be anonymous like the company one is.

Keg
17th May 2012, 03:23
My first point, about not being that stupid, no one could be THAT blind to engagement. It's all part of the effort to get guys to walk from all ranks.

bdcer, I get all that but again, why bother with the spin? Why bother at all? I presume you mean that they're bothering with the spin because they know it disenfranchises people even further? I'm not sure that's even possible!

Capt Kremin
17th May 2012, 03:41
Hmmm.... disappointed. I would have thought my survey comments alone would have brought the engagement score down by 30-40% just by themselves!

bdcer
17th May 2012, 04:27
Keg, I can't say with any certainty, but it makes sense to run a survey, look like they are doing the right thing to any interested investors (act like they care) but still keep the screws on the staff, keep pushing. FWA might accelerate their plan if they can kill the overtime (including over divisor+?), night credits, min guarantee, etc.
I just can't believe that they are THAT silly to not know that everyone is wound up.....

Cunning_Stunt
17th May 2012, 05:04
They didn't have the guts to publish the results from last year. The 2010 results are STILL on the FLt Ops website. All we got from the Chief Pilot was a statement that Flight Crew had an engagement of 27% in the 2011 survey. Mind you the spin doctors had the unbelievable gall to " mix " the results with another Department to come up with a vastly different result. 45%!!! Amazing logic. And demonstrable rubbish.

Keg
17th May 2012, 05:06
Yes, they combine the 'ground staff' Flight Ops return with the 'flight crew' to give an overall rating that is somewhat better than publishing the flight crew result on it's own.

Mud Skipper
17th May 2012, 05:26
To sum it up...... WHO CARES!

Baxter Dewall
17th May 2012, 06:32
Mud Skipper :ok:

You got in one!

All you blokes have got to let go, you will end up getting sick. The company doesn't give a fat rats @rse about you guys. Just do your job and grab the dough at the end of the day. Otherwise, do yourselves and your families a favour and LEAVE.

Tankengine
17th May 2012, 07:33
Mine too!;)
I nearly didn't do it at all, not sure how to put the lack of engagement to them.:hmm:

ALAEA Fed Sec
17th May 2012, 08:06
I wonder if they would care if you ran the same survey across Virgin and other employers and compared it to Qf then had the results published in the papers?

DirectAnywhere
17th May 2012, 21:41
Sadly I agree with MudSkipper and Baxter.

All the pilots I know - myself included - had a deep, emotional attachment to QANTAS even before they joined. For many, it was the culmination of years of work that started with a love of flying and a love of the icon that was QANTAS.

The process that is occurring now is akin to a messy divorce. That emotional attachment has been broken. Staff feel angry and betrayed. That is deliberate on QANTAS' part. The company doesn't give a s$&t about its staff and the staff need to realise that and stop caring deeply about a company that just doesn't exist anymore.

I know it's sad. I know it's unpalatable but that's the reality and the sooner you move on emotionally the happier you will be. For now, go to work, do the job, accept the money and take whatever comes in the future for the sake of your own health and that of your family. By the way, that's disengagement, a process I'm now FULLY engaged with!

P.s if someone can post the image at

Dilbert.com - The Official Dilbert Website with Scott Adams' color strips, Dilbert animation, mashups and more! (http://dilbert.com/fast/2009-11-25/)

I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Worrals in the wilds
17th May 2012, 22:23
http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/70000/4000/800/74831/74831.strip.print.gif

Your wish is someone's command. ;)
Scott Adams is always a genius.
I wonder if they would care if you ran the same survey across Virgin and other employers and compared it to Qf then had the results published in the papers? Do you think they'd give a toss, though?
Any board that supported the fleet grounding debacle and thought it was a good idea for even a nanosecond obviously couldn't give two sh...hoots about what the nasty public think of them.

DirectAnywhere
17th May 2012, 22:34
Your wish is someone's command;)

Worrals, if you could have a chat to my wife and kids I'd appreciate that too.

Conductor
17th May 2012, 22:53
Keg,

It just further reduces the credibility of our 'exco' when they tell us the sky is yellow when we can all see that it's blue.

The sky is not yellow, it's orange. And when it's almost all orange, guess what happens? It starts slowly turning white and red again, but if you look closely you'll notice that it's a slightly different shade of white and red, almost as if the colours are thinner and cheaper.

ALAEA Fed Sec
18th May 2012, 01:55
Do you think they'd give a toss, though?

I actually do. Anyone here who is on facebook may have seen some evidence of this today. Airline Hub Buzz often posts home truths about our National carrier. He often, as he has today, lets us know that there has been another attempt by Qantas to have him shut down.

Worrals in the wilds
18th May 2012, 02:01
Interesting. They've been so bad at PR over the past few years that I thought it was some sort of clandestine strategy. :suspect:
Do you have a link for the FB site you mentioned? I'm having no joy with Google or FB search.

Keg
18th May 2012, 02:53
Do a search on F.A.C.E.B.O.O.K for a person called Airline Hub buzz. Follow him and you'll get heaps of great airline goss. That Qantas keep complaining about him says a lot more about Qantas than it does about AHB.

packrat
18th May 2012, 04:15
AHB is well informed and shows what QF are really up to.Makes them accountable.They've tried twice to close him down but his followers rallied and petitioned Facebook.common sense(not bullying) prevailed

ejectx3
18th May 2012, 07:44
Hmmm can't see it on fb either

Keg
18th May 2012, 08:24
Try here (https://www.facebook.com/Airlinehubbuzz). :ok:

ejectx3
18th May 2012, 09:05
Great thanks . It seems to have a few pics posted and thats it. Am I missing something?

ALAEA Fed Sec
18th May 2012, 09:18
Become friends with AHB and then you will get several updates a day.

Arnold E
18th May 2012, 09:49
Become friends with AHB and then you will get several updates a dayUnfortunately some of us old b#ggers dont know how to do that, as is famously said, "please explain"

ejectx3 seems to have the same problem.:cool:

Keg
18th May 2012, 10:00
Step 1. Get Facebook account if you don't have one already.

Step 2. Go to Airline Hub Buzz page as indicated above.

Step 3. Under the piccie of the A380 wing tip is a box that says 'add friend'. Click on that box.

Step 4. Wait for AHB to confirm your friend status.

Arnold E
18th May 2012, 10:02
Thanks Keg.:ok:

Keg
18th May 2012, 10:04
Shame that you guys haven't seen more of AHB previously. Some of his posts regarding Qantas' RedQ airline and the names he was coming up with for it were simply brilliant. :ok:

stubby jumbo
18th May 2012, 10:48
Any board that supported the fleet grounding debacle and thought it was a good idea for even a nanosecond obviously couldn't give two sh...hoots about what the nasty public think of them.

I know this is old news .....but everytime I think about this event ....it sickens me to the core :yuk::yuk:

HF3000
18th May 2012, 15:57
Secondly, they want Q mainline costs down. So what costs can they bring down, labour & fuel. They've bought, well ordered, more fuel efficient acft....well, they think they are. For the labour, they need new awards. Q mainline guys/gals won't take a pay cut, so they bring in cheaper labour (Jetconnect, Jetstar & maybe a B scale).

It's all very well to get rid of the old awards in many areas - cute young things serving coffee for half the pay may reward the bottom line. But cute young things in every control seat of the cockpit just might have its problems...

Shed Dog Tosser
18th May 2012, 22:21
But cute young things in every control seat of the cockpit just might have its problems...

That's what us old ugly people would say.

teresa green
19th May 2012, 05:40
Hey Keg, there is no little box with what I am getting up, just a photo of a A380 wingtip, am I going blind? BWAAAAH there is a photo of my bus!

startingout
19th May 2012, 07:30
Having the same problem, cannot add as a friend at all online. Anyone had success?

Ace Wasabe
19th May 2012, 10:24
The engagement surveys are the exact opposite of what everyone thinks is intended.
It is a gauge of how disengaged employees.The lower the number the more the disengagement agenda is working.If the number is too high then managment has to work harder as pissing everybody off.As we all know, they work bloody hard at that

Keg
20th May 2012, 05:20
Dunno teresa and startingout. Just looked for Airline Hub Buzz on the daughter's Facebook account and it came up with an 'add friend' box that I could click on if I wanted to add them.

Not sure what to do beyond that. :( :confused:

newsensation
20th May 2012, 09:55
airlinehubbuzz all one word.....

ejectx3
20th May 2012, 12:22
Once youre added you can see more