View Full Version : Windshear report in METAR

Superpilot
10th May 2012, 12:35
Hi

Can anyone describe what a METAR reporting windshear for multiple runways (not all runways!) might look like? According to the WMO document which explains the standard for METARS (code FM15), there appears to be a sudden throwing away of the rule book. In general, components of a METAR are separated by ' ' (a single empty space) this would be handy for breaking down the components into easily computable fields (which is what I'm trying to do) or separable columns. But when we get to windshear, the data for WS itself is allowed to contain spaces (unlike anything else, correct me if I'm wrong).

The format according to FM15:

WS RR(R) where (R) is "left", "right" or "centre"
or WS ALL RWY

Information on the existence of wind shear along the take-off path or approach path between one runway level and 500 metres (1 600 ft) significant to aircraft operations shall be reported whenever available and if local circumstances so warrant, using the (above) group set
repeated as necessary. If the wind shear along the take-off path or approach path is affecting all runways in the airport, WS ALL RWY shall be used.

So which out of the below is it?

WS 27L 27R
WS 27L WS 27R
WS27L27R

Thanks