PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on using Glass cockpit and automation for flight training

micmicll
10th May 2012, 02:00
Hi Guys,
I am conducting a research about the use of glass cockpit and automation in flight training. Can you guys give me a hand and spare 10 mins to respond to the following questionnaire? Your help is very much appreciated

Pilot training with Technically Advance Aircrafts (TAA) Survey (http://surveymonkey.net/s/TAA_Training)

Cobalt
10th May 2012, 11:31
Responded.

Instead of just referring to "TAA" I would suggest splitting questions on "Glass" PFD equipment from autopilot related questions throughout, and perhaps differentiate between ab-initio PPL training and advanced / IR training. You might get better results that way, since automation plays a vastly different role depending on training level.

Also, have a look at this (http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/topics/TAA-Report-022412.pdf) report byt AOPA which compares the safety record between glass-cockpit and classically equipped aircaft, including comparisons of the same type with different equipment, with some interesting findings, it might be useful.

micmicll
10th May 2012, 11:54
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have thought about those actually, but it is really hard to change the questionnaire after it goes online, as I will have to manually correcting things up. But thanks for your opinion tho. I will include these into the recommendation section of the research.

For the AOPA documents (if you are referring to the one for TAA, but it's unavailable on their website, i got it through google), I had a look during the formation part of the research and they are certainly helpful:ok:

Cobalt
10th May 2012, 12:21
Strange - I have a copy, PM me and I will send it to you.

BTW - since 2005, practically all new aircraft from the major manufacturers (Cessna inc. Columbia, Piper, Cirrus, Diamond, Beech, Mooney) were delivered with glass cockpits.

It is only a matter of time until this shift filters down into the PPL training fleet in Europe, as the old wreckage that is flown by many schools gets retired...

foxmoth
10th May 2012, 13:15
Well, I started but gave up - very poor questionair IMHO.
First ? 1. Do you agree to participate? if you do not then you are just going to ignore it, so why ask? :ugh:

4. What types of aircraft you have flown on as PIC? (Please indicate if it is equipped with PFD/MFD by adding "*" after the type), followed by 5. Is the aircraft you answered above equip with digital flight display (PFD/MFD)? Having flown 100s of a/c PIC how am I supposed to answer that, even just flying 2 types, one with, one without DFD, how do you answer ?5 :rolleyes:

Gave up at this point, and as an instructor of 35 yrs standing on a wide variety of types and instructing I would have thought I am the sort you want to respond.:cool:

Tolka
10th May 2012, 13:41
Foxmoth,

If I had just flown one type (say C172) some with and some without PFD/MFD I would list is as follows:

C172, C172*

foxmoth
10th May 2012, 13:48
Fine, but mine would be WAY longer than that, and ?5 does not ask "are any of the aircraft equip", it asks if THE aircraft is equip - which one of the 100+??
.:ugh:
Even if you have just flown C172, C172* and Pa28 the answer to 5 should be yes AND no! Either that or ?5 should ask are ANY of the aircraft equipped?

micmicll
10th May 2012, 14:24
Foxmoth,
Thanks for your respond, and sorry for your confusion.
The first question is there to confirm that you are agreed to participate, and this is a legal requirement for conducting a research.

The 4 and the 5 question are there to redundant to ensure that the participant has flown on an aircraft with glass cockpit before, also it helps me to filter out some responds at the later stage of the research. I will try to adjust the wording a little to clear out the confusion.

I'm sorry to see you left in the middle of the questionnaire, but it will be good if you can return and give me your valuable opinion. many thanks

micmicll
10th May 2012, 14:30
Cobalt,
Yes I am seeing the trend too, but there are too many studies saying this could be dangerous.
That's why I am conducting the study and see if there is any thing we can do to mitigate the risk.

Whopity
10th May 2012, 15:15
As with all questionnaires the answer you get is what the author sets out to get, real answers are never an option. I filled it in but it was about as meaningless as the last questionnaire. 5 strongly agrees and 5 strongly disagrees equates to 10 not sures.

foxmoth
10th May 2012, 15:21
Done! Though I agree that Automation should be separate

micmicll
11th May 2012, 09:58
Thank you so much guys!!
I am getting some really good responses and comments, and they are very helpful.
But it will be good to have some more responses to generate an accurate conclusion, another 10-20 will be perfect!
Again, thanks so much for the reply! I will try to put up an update with the results when I finalise the report.