PDA

View Full Version : IR renewals in spain for UK issued EASA licence now banned?

flyboy1818
9th May 2012, 10:25
I just wanted to check that the new EASA requirements mean that someone with a UK issued CPL/IR could no longer renew there IR + MEP in Spain with a Spanish examiner.

I know this used to be acceptable under JAR, but from reading the new EASA legislation it appears that all renewals and medicals must be done by an examiner/doctor registered and approved by the country of issue. Is this correct?

felixflyer
9th May 2012, 12:05
So does this mean all the people that have done their IR in Spain, Poland etc. will need to travel there to renew it?

BillieBob
9th May 2012, 12:21
Which particular part of the legislation have you read that would lead you to such a conclusion?

OpenCirrus619
9th May 2012, 13:34
*** Don't take this as gospel - but I seem to have heard... ***

all renewals and medicals must be done by an examiner/doctor registered and approved by the country of issueThis I believe is correct.

The (UK) CAA will allow anyone, with the appropriate ticks in boxes, to be "registered and approved" - if they pay the relevant fee.

OC619

*** Don't take this as gospel - but I seem to have heard... ***

flyboy1818
9th May 2012, 14:30
I believe a Spanish certified examiner could become registered with the CAA for example, but I'm unsure if in reality this will happen or if the obstacles in terms of paperwork and cost will be too high for most to justify becoming registered with another Aviation Authority.

flyboy1818
9th May 2012, 14:40
Here we go:

AIC: W 014/2012 "State (Country) of Issue for Holders of Part-FCL Licences and Part-Med Medical Certificates" explains the rules on the State of Issue for licences and medical certificates issued under the EASA Aircrew Regulation. A licence holder shall not at any time hold more than one medical certificate issued in accordance with Part Med. Holders of licences issued by more than one State will be obliged to choose the State that they wish to hold their medical records and therefore the State that will be their State of Licence Issue for all their Part-FCL licences. The NAA holding an individual pilot's medical records will be the ‘Competent Authority’ for that pilot, and will be the National Aviation Administration (and the only NAA) that may issue, revalidate or renew, Part-FCL licences for that individual; and that may administer those licences, ratings and certificates.

S-Works
9th May 2012, 15:32
Well you could do them with me in Spain. Jerez or Seville twice a month by special request!

BillieBob
9th May 2012, 16:05
The NAA holding an individual pilot's medical records will be the ‘Competent Authority’ for that pilot, and will be the National Aviation Administration (and the only NAA) that may issue, revalidate or renew, Part-FCL licences for that individual; and that may administer those licences, ratings and certificates.Which determines who pushes the bits of paper round but has nothing to do with where or by whom the training and testing is done.

The competent authority may issue, revalidate or renew a licence on the basis of training and testing done anywhere within the EU. The only requirement is that an examiner who intends to conduct a skill test on a candidate whose state of licence issue is different from the one that issued his examiner authorisation must inform the competent authority in the candidate's state of licence issue and obtain a briefing from them. Note that the requirement is to 'inform' and not to 'request permission from' the competent authority and that there is no requirement to 'become registered' or to be 'approved', only to receive a briefing.

Whopity
9th May 2012, 16:13
The only gotcha is will said examiner want to pay the UK CAA £630 for the privilege?

slr737
9th May 2012, 17:15
the 630£ are only if such instructor/examiner want to use his privilege in the UK. at least according the scheme of charge...

Whopity
9th May 2012, 18:10
An interesting observation, no charge listed for doing the same thing outside the UK but still a requirement to notify the CAA!

slr737
9th May 2012, 18:56
I had a talk with PLD and they are not yet certain how they will handle that briefing.
But knowing them i'm sure they will be a charge.....

Cobalt
9th May 2012, 21:39
If they are pragmatic, it will be a letter explaining where to find form SRG/1119, how to fill it in, where to send it, and what to attach (e.g., a copy of their examiner licences).

BillieBob
9th May 2012, 22:08
Pragmatic? The CAA?? That's priceless!!! My guess is that it will be delegated to those ATOs approved to provide examiner standardisation courses, who will make their own charge in addition to the CAA fee.

flyboy1818
10th May 2012, 10:13
hmm, I do feel that this may lead to some unsuspecting students passing an IR renewal with say a Spanish certified examiner in Spain who has not notified the CAA "correctly" and hence being told that there renewal is no longer valid! This could be a mess, I'm using Spain as an example as I know quite a few Brits choose to renew this way, but it could happen to anyone anywhere in the EU.

421C
11th May 2012, 11:25
let's be clear that the "standardisation" in this instance is nothing more than (from Part FCL) "a briefing on the national administrative procedures, requirements for protection of personal data, liability, accident insurance and fees. "

Unlike JAR FCL, Part FCL is EU law and EU law has provisions to protect citizens from unduly onerous implementation by Member States. It seems self-evident to me that an email attachment or web briefing would accomplish the above, and I would have though any attempt to use this as a 'gatekeeping' or revenue-raising measure would be deservedly vulnerable to legal remedies.