PDA

View Full Version : G-DOCU - damaged at Genoa?

akerosid
7th May 2012, 15:17
According to a report on another site, one of BA's 737-400s, G-DOCU, was badly damaged in a collision with a ground service vehicle at Genoa, to the extent that the cabin was cut open. Apparently it has not left there since (last week). Does anyone know any more about this incident? Haven't seen it on Aviation Herald ...

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-DOCU (CN: 25854) British Airways Boeing 737-436 by John Fitzpatrick (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6916625)

DaveReidUK
7th May 2012, 15:54
There's a reference to the incident, albeit of no relevance to the subject, in the third post of this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/484254-ba0840-canceled.html

CessnaEng
7th May 2012, 21:42
Looks pretty bad (http://imageshack.us/f/254/img20120504wa0001.jpg/)

gas path
7th May 2012, 22:14
Speedtape?

750XL
8th May 2012, 00:34
Ouch :eek:

DaveReidUK
8th May 2012, 12:09
And there wasn't a scratch on the iceberg ...

Evanelpus
8th May 2012, 12:21
Double ouch!:ouch::ouch:

That doesn't look good at all!

Doug E Style
14th May 2012, 19:07
Italian drivers.

MKY661
9th Jun 2012, 14:34
Plane is back in service :)

BOAC
9th Jun 2012, 16:55
..and the truck driver..............?

SpringHeeledJack
9th Jun 2012, 17:41
..and the truck driver..............?

I've always wondered about such incidents and if the wrongdoer gets fired directly, gets prosecuted and is liable financially OR is protected by a militant union that threatens strike action if one of the brothers, or fratellos in this case, is held to task. With such expensive machinery around the place of work the qualifications and responsibilities must be very stringent for the ground staff :hmm:

SHJ

ballyctid
9th Jun 2012, 18:26
Think it depends where you are.

I know one Gulf state where it is a no questions asked instant dismissal for any aircraft that is hit, no matter how minor.

Whereas a UK airport that I worked at the offender would be suspended and as long as complete negiligence isn't proven they would be retrained and have to sit the airside driving course again.

TURIN
9th Jun 2012, 18:57
Depends on your point of view.

Would you rather someone accidentally damages an a/c and walks away without reporting it because they know that to do so is instant dismissal or promote honest reporting, keep the job and stay safe?

I know which I would choose.

ZFT
9th Jun 2012, 21:30
... and with the advent of composite fuselages that may not retain or exhibit evidence of being hit, even more important to promote honest reporting.

SpringHeeledJack
10th Jun 2012, 05:49
I'm all for honest reporting, but really, if a job description involves maneuvering equipment around multi-million dollar aircraft then both training and oversight of the participants must be to the fore. However I take the point that as pilot you would want to know of any 'accidents' before getting the hull pressurised. Glad to see G-DOCU back in revenue service :ok:

SHJ

Notso Fantastic
10th Jun 2012, 21:42
I used to fly this very plane 15 years ago. I identified the location and was pleased to see I was bang on. Interestingly enough in a subsequent small airline, one of the 737-700s suffered similar damage (but less widespread) in a towing incident at LGW when the tow truck turned and the 737 didn't. Took several weeks to organise, but a 10 man Boeing team came over and blitzed it in about 10 days, with Christmas coming to encourage them to get on with it. First rate job. I would think in DOCU's case, BA's team would easily accomplish it.

As for the insurance angle, it seems it's common for ground handlers not to fully insure in aviation to reduce the insurance element of ground handling cost, the airlines themselves accepting liability beyond that level. All in all, very shrouded in obscurity!

yotty
12th Jun 2012, 22:04
Initial repair undertaken by a crack LGW team of BA engineers. Then positioned to LHR for Boeing working party to carry out final work.