PDA

View Full Version : Westjet regional selects Q400

Rollingthunder
3rd May 2012, 23:15
WestJet Airlines Ltd. said Tuesday it had decided to use a fleet of Bombardier’s Q400 turboprop for its new regional carrier, which it hopes to have off the ground in the second half of 2013.

The news comes as the Calgary-based carrier delivered a record first-quarter result that also blew past analysts’ expectations.

WestJet had been deliberating between a fleet of Q400s and a European-built turboprop, the ATR-72, for the hotly contested regional contract. But the Q400 was widely considered the favorite with both Air Canada’s regional affiliate, Chorus Aviation, and Porter Airlines using the fuel-efficient aircraft in their own fleets.

“We are very impressed with the Q400,” said Gregg Saretsky, WestJet chief executive, in a statement. “Both ATR and Bombardier put forward excellent proposals and ultimately we believe the Bombardier Q400′s combination of range, speed and seat density is the best choice to meet the needs of the market and how we plan to operate the regional airline.”

The initial order will be for 20 Q400s with the option to purchase another 25 aircraft. WestJet said it expects to announce its initial regional schedule later in 2012

Jet Jockey A4
4th May 2012, 00:11
Good news for the Canadian aviation industry.

Left Coaster
4th May 2012, 05:17
Very good news...let's hope that WJ doesn't lower the bar in their excitement to make the profit share better! The argument over possible pay issues/levels has already started over on a Canadian aviation website or two. :ugh:

GMC1500
5th May 2012, 10:26
they're going to pay the dash guys less, aren't they?

PT6A
5th May 2012, 11:41
Should pay them more.... More work on the TP compared to the jet :E

AAIGUY
5th May 2012, 19:29
Should pay them the same and let guys choose what they want to fly based on lifestyle like we do in Hong Kong. Air Canada's policy of paying by weight is retarded.

GMC1500
5th May 2012, 22:29
I couldn't agree with you more, Jazz pays the same for RJ or dash, and my current employer in the middle east pays all types the same. However I'm pretty sure WJ will not do that and will have a lower payscale for their dash drivers.