PDA

View Full Version : 777 FUEL QTY LOW

blah blah blah
28th Apr 2012, 19:45
Does anyone know when this Caution will go off?

The FCOM and QRH just say that fuel quantity is low. Just wondering when I could expect this to happen, i.e. will this be an issue on a critical ETP diversion? The requirement of this checklist to use flap 20 could have implications in terms of runway length required.

Cheers,

Blah

nitpicker330
29th Apr 2012, 01:00
2000 kg L/R

( I think my notes mean either tank 2000kg )

You should hopefully never see this EICAS even in a diversion. This would be about 40 mins of fuel.

If you do then forget about checking the Landing Distance Available!! Just pick the longest runway available AND LAND. You are going to very so light that Flap 20 won't make much difference.

blah blah blah
29th Apr 2012, 01:07
Thanks for that.

Have to say I wish we had access to more detail than is provided in the FCOM. Whatever happened to proper tech manuals?

woodja51
29th Apr 2012, 01:36
Go work for emirates... Their min FFR is 30 mins so is seen on occassion in a divert there... And the flap 20 is so that if you do lioe the engines due to stavation you have elevator authority for the flare i believe....

Wja

Hey Driver
29th Apr 2012, 01:56
Fuel Quantity Low EICAS will occur with either wing tank indicating less than 2000kg. This is an actual indication not forecast landing fuel as per the FMC.

With a fuel imbalance and/or center tank fuel you may get this caution with more than 4000kg total fuel.

As you are landing with a small amount of fuel it can be disconcerting to have this caution on approach. If the landing fuel is around 4000kg, check for an imbalance and plan accordingly.

blah blah blah
29th Apr 2012, 02:57
Thanks for the replies.

woodja - our FFR is also 30 mins. Fuel at arrival after a crit ETP diversion is lower still. The QRH is quite clear that flap 20 is used for control authority.

The concern isn't so much about getting a caution, its that this particular caution requires the use of flap 20 which could be quite restrictive. Now that I know when it will go off I can be aware that a diversion such as from the crit ETP should be planned to land at flap 20.

Cheers

woodja51
29th Apr 2012, 10:59
Bla bla... I could never quite get my head around the manufacturer certifying the jet for 45 mins fuel in tanks assuming balanced and thus set the warning to this...and then commercial operators vary company policy to reduce it to 30 mins ... Which it could be quite possible and legal to land with after a diversion.
Thus also planning a flap 20 and therfore abnormal landing config... Some time ago EK had a captain recently off the airbus land using f20 due to reported windshear etc... Which in the bus would have encouraged a lower flap setting perhaps ... He was right bollockec by the chief pilot as saying that was not the way to do things on the boeing... However ... The FMS allows you to select the f20 , even when there is no abnormal eicas.. So one could excuse him for using it... But it seems a bit incongruous that the same company actually legally plans potential abnormal operations and thinks that is okay ... And yes I know diversions are rare .. But they do happen...
Food for thought?

spannersatcx
29th Apr 2012, 15:25
Does anyone know when this Caution will go off? After you put some more fuel in maybe. :ok: