PDA

View Full Version : EK Hold Pool (FO's)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Tazman282
22nd Nov 2012, 13:27
Well the update came this morning and all classes have been filled through March 2013. They are expecting to offer classes late Dec for April 2013 and beyond on both the airbus and the Boeing. I did notice there was no mention of having to be reassessed after the one year mark of our final interview date which alone is great news. Good luck.

HornetDrvr
22nd Nov 2012, 16:39
Interviewed in February, was told two weeks ago to give them updated times for a possible February class and of course, wouldn't you know it, get an e-mail essentially saying have fun in the hold pool until April 2013 or god only knows when. This means if I care to get jerked around for ANOTHER YEAR I'm going to have to reassess and since I'm unemployed, any currency I may have had by the time February rolled around is going to be gone according to their standards.

Well, best of luck gents, I think I'll go get jerked around elsewhere now...

archer_737
22nd Nov 2012, 19:01
Tazman282

So according to you if they don't mention that we need to be reassessed, that means that after 1 year period we need to do what exactly?
If no assessment is needed why to say that our application is only valid for 1 year? What is needed after 1 year to get the job?

Jetstreamer1
23rd Nov 2012, 17:05
Ok, so how many of us left in the pool?? And when did u interview?

HornetDrvr
23rd Nov 2012, 18:42
As I was told with my previous correspondences with them, your assesment date is the 1 year anniversary of your interview. Mine was in mid-February 2012. If you are not offered firm employement within that time, yet get to come back to Dubai for an additional, all expense paid 4 days of fun - another assessment.

Hopefully, and I plan on finding this out in the next few days, they will take mercy on me and others like me and waive the reassessment. I don't know how they are going to treat me either that I'm unemployed, so we'll find out.

I'm also a little miffed that they have had us all hanging here in this pool and they are conducting interviews again! Anyway, we'll see what happens and I'll let you all know.

clear to land
24th Nov 2012, 04:10
Why be miffed-common sense dictates that the company have a back up plan for no shows. Also, more suitable candidates may be identified in another round of interviews. Being in the pool makes you identified as suitable from those within the pool. Expanding the pool is clearly in the companies best interests. May not be what you want to hear, but unfortunately the company has loyalty to the company. Full Stop. :oh:

donpizmeov
24th Nov 2012, 06:45
Fellas,

To get into the pool, you only have to pass to the min standard required. Once in the pool, some may be more equal than others ie: might have more hours, have scored better etc. Being in the Pool is not a job offer.

Things changed this year with the reintroduction of DECs. This almost halved the number of FOs required. Once your 12 months in the pool is up, you need to re-interview etc. This has also happened in the past. To be eligible to be asked back to interview you need to fulfill the selection requirements, and also be competitive against those also waiting. This great for the company, but may not be so good if you are now unemployed etc. Good news for those that were in the pool is that the extra hours gained in the past 12 months will help your application.

the Don

mauuuus
27th Nov 2012, 21:22
Greetings all,
I am short listed interviewee who is a frequent reader of this thread, interested on the current situation of fellow holding poolies and their final job offer.-if fellow poolies are not called for a job offer and are on hold with an open date, means my “short list” interview also has an open date .
This “open date” situation and other factors are creating uncertainty and unsettledness’ in our future careers (I am offered to be promoted to Captain by a lowcost ) and personal life’s. Therefore, in this thread, I would like to make an open suggestion to let us clarifying the following uncertainties and have a clearer judgment of our present situation.
1. How many are in the pool? We can have a good estimate if all poolies post their interview date and the number of successful applicants. ( On interviews we all make friends and keep in touch with other applicants)
2. All poolies successful in being offered a starting class can post date of class and aprox. how many will be on their class. ( Again we all make contacts/friends with other applicants) I believe EK is offering start classes based on interview dates/ class.
3. Someone post when was the last date of FO interviews, before giving priority to DECs.
With this information we will have a clear perspective where each one stands: Number of poolies, rate of poolies being offered a job and rate of job offered by EK.
Thank you beforehand to all poolies in posting information and in helping make the decision to accept or not to the left seat in a low cost.
Good luck all.
Finally, with no intention of making a debate, I know for a fact that a successful interview expires in one year- 365 days. My best friend, my wingman, had to pass the interview process a second time because his interview expired, and yes he is a successful pilot in EK.

Kernow 101
28th Nov 2012, 07:57
Hi Mauus,

I believe myself and a few others were the first in the pool from mid Feb of this year. By the time they finished interviewing FO's, which I believe was around end June or beginning July, there were 150 in the pool (I do not know this for sure, but only from word of mouth). So far, there have only been 2 courses allocated (Jan & Feb courses. don't know how many per course, but it will not have dented the pool much). Also, they are putting DEC in the hold pool at the moment for next years requirements.

In your current situation of having not attended the selection yet, you could be realistically at least 9 months off a job offer (start date) with EK if you went for selection in the New Year.

I was in a similar situation when I was in the hold pool (after being successful at selection) and then had the oppurtunity for the LHS with my current outfit. I went for it, and I suggest you do exactly the same and waste no time doing it. You never know when another oppurtunity for the LHS will come up and at the moment that is a REAL option for you, whereas until you sign the contract with EK that is something which is not a reality yet.

In the meantime continue with the EK proceedure and good luck. Hope to see you out there :ok:

Ps. Now I know I can pass a command course, and the experience and confidence it gave me was invaluable :E

boarderdw
28th Nov 2012, 15:25
I'd say about half or more of the pool has been assigned course dates. Feb, March, and us early April guys have been called. I'd say that's a pretty good size dent. I think the FO interviewing slowed way down after April too.

archer_737
28th Nov 2012, 15:43
I don't think so.
They called guys till April as you said, but most of them flying 737NG.
Still some guys flying airbus/md/crj etc in the pool from March, April... so, as Kernow said, I don't think they dented the pool much.
They gave some courses in mid January and some more in mid February. How many courses every month? 20? That makes it 40 total guys out of the pool now? Still many of us waiting, and we can only get our offer in April or early May and then will be over.
That assuming they make no extension of the 1 year rule.
Better we secure our present job. Thanks god I accepted the job offer I received.
And for you guys, been asked to upgrade to the LHS... man, don't even think about it!!!!

groundtoflightdeck
28th Nov 2012, 16:08
Ill say again I don't think the pool has more than 40 bodies left. Word on the street is that there will be calls before xmas for FO interviews.

boarderdw
28th Nov 2012, 18:38
Archer, don't know what to tell you bud. It's definitely not just 737 guys getting calls. I'm an RJ guy and I got called. I know of a few other RJ guys that got called too. They're going straight down the list now and if they are still interested in you (not always the case), you get a course date. There are courses beginning and mid Feb too. The pool is definitely draining pretty quickly.

mikypmi
29th Nov 2012, 03:23
Hi guys...

In my case I am 737NG type rated and still current, interviewed early April and allocated a course on February 17th.

Some mates of mine also current on 737NG start the same day as I do, but I also know some RJ guys who also have a date on Feb.

I wish you the best of luck!

archer_737
29th Nov 2012, 11:05
Thanks Boarderdw!

Some guys here said that they were not called, I guess it is because of their currency and not because of the type. Good to know!

Good luck guys.

Tazman282
29th Nov 2012, 16:23
I interviewed early April and am current on the RJ but have not received a call yet. There were 8 successful and one but probably two took a job elsewhere. Out of the 6 left in my group, three were as of then not currently flying 121.

Also, not sure if you all got this email but as of now all classes are filled through March 2013. I am hoping for a April start myself so I don't fall off the 12 month cliff and need to be reinterviewed.

"We would like to advise you that we have now filled all our course places on both the Boeing and Airbus fleets for this financial year ending March 2013. The course plan for the financial year April 2013 – March 2014 is currently pending. We anticipate that courses will be planned on both fleets from April 2013 onwards. We expect that we will begin to make offers for these courses towards the end of December 2012."

Guam360
1st Dec 2012, 12:35
total number of sick days used and details.....??
really?

is this a deal breaker?

fatbus
1st Dec 2012, 14:54
Then its a deal breaker! Don't apply.

Al Murdoch
2nd Dec 2012, 19:04
I hardly think it's an unreasonable question Guam... They have a right to know if when they employ you you're going to be calling sick every other week.

Guam360
2nd Dec 2012, 20:57
wow,
direct.

Al and Fatbus, it's not my habit to call in sick every other week. was I sick last year while my family member was ill, No, did I use sick time for personal reasons other than having Flu, yes. that's all. I don't abuse this sort of thing. Just never seen it before and thought there might be responses other than these.

My mistake, my post probably warranted such responses.

tongo-sierra
5th Dec 2012, 18:02
a question to u guys. I work in the EU have the class 1 medical since 8 years now but i did the lantern test cos of color (weakness). my question is , did EK recognize an EU certificate or they do also the lantern test.? want to apply as FO...tt3500.
thanks.

Luckyheader
14th Dec 2012, 11:08
So, whats the latest?

spyce
14th Dec 2012, 13:49
latest...

They have called people for news 2 weeks ago and they suppose to call for a start date end of december.

So now enjoying the X-mas season and waiting.... :)

falcon10
17th Dec 2012, 03:16
Curious as to if they provide an upgradeable ticket to DXB for the interview?

archer_737
17th Dec 2012, 10:26
Yes they do.

Tazman282
23rd Dec 2012, 04:52
I got an early Christmas present a few days ago, got the call for a Boeing start date on March 31st. Hopefully the rest of you get calls soon as well.

fernando737
27th Dec 2012, 12:36
I got a call this morning from HR!
Interviewed on May 29th
TT 8200, B737NG 6800
Happy new year boddies!

Tazman282
28th Dec 2012, 00:31
Congrats, it is a great feeling to know one way or the other especially when you get the job. See you in class....

archer_737
28th Dec 2012, 12:35
congrats guys!
Nice end of the year isn't it?

Have fun in the course.

wascocity
2nd Jan 2013, 14:09
Congrats guys:ok:!

I interviewed late April, received a phone call from hr three weeks ago but nothing else since...airbus rated :ugh:

Jetstreamer1
2nd Jan 2013, 16:18
Congrats fellas! Great way to start the new year!

Non rev
4th Jan 2013, 03:54
Anyone here hired with a background in US regional as an RJ operator FO or PIC?

fatbus
4th Jan 2013, 04:43
I don't think there has been any for a while as there is tons of pilots with 320/330/340/73ng/76/75 and even 744 time applying. I also heard that there is no more full transition onto the 330 only CCQ's and DEFO 380 has started (Mar or Apr). They want 330/340 experience for DEFO 380 but the way EK thinks they will put a 744 FO on the 380 before a 320 Capt.

archer_737
4th Jan 2013, 09:39
So these are good news for the new joiners flying Boeing planes, right?
Either we'll get 777 or 380 which are much better rosters than 330, am I right?

Thanks for the info.

secret agent 86
4th Jan 2013, 16:21
Non Rev: Yes, I know of one US Regional Jet Capt that starts his 777 course tomorrow.

I interviewed early last May, offered 777 early April. I begged for an Airbus of any sort (over 3000 pic A320) and ended up 777 presumably because I am current on Boeing.

EA3
4th Jan 2013, 16:24
I applied with 5000 TT, 500 hours on the A-330. Total jet time 1800. Previous experience on CRJ 100/200/900 and Dash 8. Captain experience on multiple light turboprop aircraft in the Arctic. Im hoping with my time on the A330 would get me an interview, nothing so far.

boarderdw
5th Jan 2013, 05:40
Non Rev - I know of at least 4 of us US RJ CAs and FOs starting in Feb. Never hurts to try, give it a shot.

luvly jubbly
5th Jan 2013, 12:08
Guys, can we keep these questions for the interview thread?
This is for hold pool news.

Lj

Easy Ryder
5th Jan 2013, 12:44
Archer,

There is NO CHANCE of a Boeing pilot getting a DEFO 380 slot at this point in time.

Boeing rated => 777
Airbus rated => A330 or if significant time on an airbus type straight to the A380

If they start falling short of qualified Airbus pilots then Boeing rated guys will be given 330 slots & only after that, if they really get desperate, the 380.

archer_737
5th Jan 2013, 16:17
Thanks for sharing.

According to a post above there will be no more full course from Boeing to a330 so that's why I asked.

I think that the 777 is more than enough for a 737NG pilot :}

patlani1104
6th Jan 2013, 04:03
Hi there my application was under review few weeks ago and now it changed back to short listed! Does any one know why?

vnihat
7th Jan 2013, 21:53
Hi guys ,
Well ican say i dont know too much about this recruitment process but i had a mail about that im already in the pool at Sep 12 . :ouch: i havent interviewed yet or called yet by EK. What is the latest news for them ? Any ideas for when will i have a call ? :bored: currently type rated on 737 NG and TT 3000 hrs. thanks for your help.

bluesaddict
7th Jan 2013, 21:57
Hi there my application was under review few weeks ago and now it changed back to short listed! Does any one know why?

Don't know why, but that's good.

vinayak
10th Jan 2013, 02:56
Mine still says under review :-|

fernando737
11th Jan 2013, 05:05
April 14th, B777 course offer!!!

Interviewed on May 29th
TT 8200
Current 6700 ( B737-800)

I truly wish you all the best!

Iver
11th Jan 2013, 18:44
Congrats Fernando!

Rizla2002
11th Jan 2013, 19:55
Do you guys know if any course has been offered to AIRBUS rated pilots in the last weeks?

speedhold
14th Jan 2013, 13:34
Just got an email from a recruiter at emirates they are only looking at Airbus and Boeing experience candidates for now ..........

archer_737
14th Jan 2013, 15:12
Bear in mind also that if you have been unemployed for some time this last year that can play against you as it did for me.
Some of the guys who interviewed later than me got already the course while I'm still waiting and approaching the limit of the 1 year.
I have to say that I lost my last job in February 2012 and interviewed with EK in May. Then I got a new job after the summer but finally I wasn't flying for a period of around 7 months and they don't seem to like this situation at EK.
Maybe I'll be luckier next time!
Thanks god I've got a good and well paid job.

Btw, they told me in their last email that if we are not offered a course within the year period they'll give us priority to re-interview so forget about the rumors that they'll extend our application for some few more months :=

Taiguin
12th Feb 2013, 08:18
Have there been anymore courses allocated to you guys in the hold pool? Just trying to keep the thread alive! ;)

DuneMentat
12th Feb 2013, 08:58
An ex (and soon to be again) colleague of mine completed the PSP in may 2012, not boing/bus rated, and has been offered a course in early April

archer_737
12th Feb 2013, 18:05
Nothing here.
Waiting since May 2012.
Heard that the last course was offered for April 14th which means that next should be May 2013. Too late I'm afraid.

Taiguin
13th Feb 2013, 10:35
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Archer!:ok:

go around flaps15
13th Feb 2013, 11:30
Are they still calling people out for FO interviews? Or are they still concentrating on DECs at the moment?

Taiguin
13th Feb 2013, 12:58
Well according to some of the other threads on here DEC recruitment has ceased for the moment. Apparently there are a few DEC in a hold pool waiting to be allocated courses.

FO recruitment seems to be happening but at a much slower rate. Suggestions are that it may speed up as we move into the new financial year. People have also suggested that due to the high number of applications EK are concentrating their efforts on Boeing & Airbus rated guys.

Disclaimer... all of this i've picked up from this forum...:}

maghy
13th Feb 2013, 14:48
Last post is correct. Dunno about the pace picking up during the year.

samca
13th Feb 2013, 15:09
Hi guys,

I would like to apply Emirates but I have 2500 hrs of which 1500 on jet Citation 550. Do you think that I Should apply?, also type rated on A320 but no hours on type:hmm:

dubaibound
13th Feb 2013, 15:55
It appears that you do not have the minimum stated FO requirements which are, from the EK website:
- A minimum of 4000 hours total flying time (may include 25% P3 or FEO time to a max of 500 hours)
- A minimum of 2000 hours multi-crew, multi-engine jet aircraft (P3 time cannot be used for this requirement).
OR
- A minimum of 2500 hours total flying time on a modern commercial multi-engine, multi-crew aircraft jet (P3 time cannot be used for this requirement)
As your jet hours appear to be on a corporate, not commercial aircraft, you would not be accepted for the 2500 hour group.
Generally there is a preference for pilots with significant commercial experience.
As Emirates does not accept Sim hours, they would likely not give credit for your A320 rating.
You can always submit an application, but the likelihood being invited for an interview is extremely remote

natops
13th Feb 2013, 17:41
they stopped dec's for the moment. gap of 2008 is filled. thats what I heard today. :ok:

samca
13th Feb 2013, 18:13
Yeah, I supposed

norrsken
2nd Mar 2013, 08:02
Does anyone know if they have offered any starting dates after April 14th?

Cheers

Peter Chube
5th Mar 2013, 02:51
Not that I know of. Joined the pool January, patiently treading water!

archer_737
5th Mar 2013, 09:33
Hey guys.

I was told that the last offers went for April 14th. Nothing after that, at least on the 777.
They told me that the next courses for Boeing will be at the end of the year and that because of this my application will be over and I will have to re-interview.

Maybe Airbus guys will have a chance.

Good luck.

Peter Chube
5th Mar 2013, 14:34
So no Boeing courses for around 8 months?! Wow! Things are slowing down, that sounds unprecedented.

Rizla2002
26th Mar 2013, 17:35
Assested in may,AIRBUS 330, still waiting...

Rizla2002
27th Mar 2013, 17:33
Well you tell me..I am "selected on hold" since may 2012!
Current on A330.2500hrs on type.
You get the job when you sign the contract...

Rizla2002
28th Mar 2013, 04:18
3800hrs on the bus...I hope we all get the job...but being in the pool doesn't give you the job, not yet...:mad:
Hope for the best...think for the worst...

ramius315
28th Mar 2013, 12:13
Some of you are going to have some real problems working for EK and living in Dubai based on the impatience you demonstrate in your posts.......

;)

fatbus
28th Mar 2013, 12:39
It's all about supply and demand , right now lots of supply. Also remember they try to not hire lots from any one country all at once.

Rizla2002
30th Mar 2013, 09:39
Well, I applied for the job in december 2011...selected in may 2012....call me impatient sounds....inappropriate...;)

archer_737
30th Mar 2013, 22:41
Rizla

They confirmed me that there was no course for Boeing (apparently Airbus is no longer an option for Boeing guys) so I could just plan to re-interview in April (interviewed May 2012).
If you try to contact them they can give you more info now.
Don't want to look too pessimistic but for Boeing guys from May last year is over, don't know for the bus... But we're already at the end of March, if there was a course for you in May you should have been contacted before I'm afraid...

They kindly offered me to interview again in April even if the 1 year period wasn't yet over, but I had to refuse.
If you try to reach them you may have an interview date for next month and then a joining date before the end of this year.

Good luck!

Aussie
31st Mar 2013, 08:29
Where did you end up going archer?

archer_737
31st Mar 2013, 10:29
THY in Istanbul.

Straight levels
4th Apr 2013, 11:06
Has anyone got anymore news about FO courses. Maybe new forecasts have come out with the new financial year?

Xulu
1st May 2013, 12:52
Just to clarify, it's 3000hrs on a 'modern jet' including 1500 of airbus time to be considered for the A380.

Hope you get called soon.

Straight levels
1st May 2013, 13:02
Does anyone know when they will restart Boeing courses?

fatbus
1st May 2013, 13:10
Keep in mind that modern jet would be 73NG/777/744/320 /330/340 , 310/75/76 are now a bit old. there is plenty of 320 pilots with 1000's of hours 320 ie 5000 + . no shortage at the present time. seem that it's all about the 380 for the next little while. good luck to all.

boqueron
14th Jun 2013, 11:31
Good morning all .

Within the last two weeks I have heard of Boeing candidates from the December interviews getting start dates in August/September , and Airbus people from the March interviews getting start dates also in August/September.
Is there anybody that interviewed more recent than these that has been given a start date ?
Thanks !

fliion
14th Jun 2013, 12:32
There are over 100 who have been accepted and will be worked through over the coming months with class date offers.

There is an additional need for 150 for FY'13 and assessments are ongoing. The applicant pool is according to my source 'the best' they have ever seen.

V competitive at the moment with the days of 600 a year gone - for now at least.

Good luck.

f.

DAYSEEMAL
19th Jun 2013, 11:11
Khaleds,

Dont be lazy, all the info you need is in the Emirates(EK) interview - all you need to know about it. Thread.
Everything is there if you start at the begining.

Back to the thread topic......

Any news on course dates for Hold Pool guys from 2013 interviews. (for Boeing specifically.)

They have recently been interviewing again, but i don't know what start dates they are being told at interview.
At a guess December, reality June 2014?!

cycles
30th Jun 2013, 13:14
Hi Guy's,

I am currently in the holdpool and was wondering if we could get an idea of how many people are floating.

I interviewed mid April for Boeing. Also if anybody has been called for a date this year, when did you finish the interview process?

Cheers

fatbus
30th Jun 2013, 15:29
Keep in mind that @15 % overall reduction in May for 3 months. EK seems to not want to get ahead of training so there might be a slow down during that period . Be prepared for no hiring until this time next year as most courses are filed into the new year.

cycles
3rd Jul 2013, 09:53
Hi guys, thanks to you both for the info.

Good luck on the TR bus.

Cheers

RjAgCR
3rd Jul 2013, 16:10
Hi everyone and sorry for asking this here (I know there is a thread for my question) but can anyone PM me with advise on how to better prepare for the interview at EK?! I know there are many websites and books out there but dont want to waste my time and money on stuff that wont help me prepare for the interview...

Thanks and good luck to all :ok:

cf680c2b
3rd Jul 2013, 17:04
To get on as a DEFO A380, you must have:

4000 total time

3000 jet hours with MTOW of 55 tonnes or more of which 2000 hours must be on A330/A340 or other wide body jet experience.

Verbatim from the the book.

All you narrow bus drivers can expect the 330.

Ride On
3rd Jul 2013, 17:41
Hi All

Be warned if your joining now or have joined in the last year already, you will not get an upgrade(Command) for maybe 10 to 15 years..

No matter what they tell you at the interview, they have too many Senior F/O's already...! New aircraft arriving alright but majority only to replace the old one's so not much movement planned in the ranks......!

They have upgraded alot of guys in the recent past alright but there's a big slow down now for the foreseeable future...!

Only 72 more upgrades this year and not much planned for next year...!

Not a bad job thou, if you wanna come for a couple of years.!

:cool:

fatbus
4th Jul 2013, 02:22
380 DEFO's on course now are mainly 320 only. They are very close to no more hiring onto the 330, if so very small numbers. Upgrades? Dont come focused on the upgrade it will make you insane. Just enjoy the job( if that's possible in Dubai). Upgrade in 7 - 10 years anything inside that , great.

EK380
4th Jul 2013, 09:04
Correct Fatbus. They seem not to follow the A330/340 requirement for DEFO A380. Most guys A320 only.

Iver
5th Jul 2013, 00:25
Don't worry, many A350s on the way too????

vinayak
5th Jul 2013, 21:31
@cf680c2b

Minimum Requirements

First Officer A380

- 3000 hours multi-engine, multi-crew, Jet with MTOW 50+Tonnes which must include1500 hours and current on modern fly by wire Airbus aircraft

- Full ICAO ATPL

where did you get the 4000 hours and a330 hours requirement from? Appreciate the info but... request your source :)

cf680c2b
7th Jul 2013, 03:35
It's in the operating manual, which we as Pilots are expected to follow like the bible. But I have come to the realization that maybe we don't have to abide by it as strictly. It's optional, just guidance, as it appears.

BongleBear
7th Jul 2013, 06:47
cf680c2b you're wrong there, we as pilots do have to follow it. Management can change it as it suits

DAYSEEMAL
8th Jul 2013, 13:02
Anyone got any accurate info on 777 plans for the next 12 month? i.e new aircraft/retirements/route reductions duing the runway closure?

Trying to make an educated guess as to when the Boeing Hold Pool might eventually start to move, or whether its worth ditching EK for other options.
#cantwaitforever

ron_burgendy
25th Jul 2013, 00:40
Hi guys,
Interviewed in April for Boeing and recieved an email a few weeks ago stating "expect to hear from us at the end of sept for a start date in dec/jan" so just quietly swimming in the pool until I hopefully hear something at the end of sept.
Ride On - at out interview we were told commands were running at around 5 years on the Boeing if we were to start this year. Mentioned aircraft on order and retiring old aircraft etc etc. But I wonder how can the commands go out to 10-15 years if they want to "double the fleet size" (HR manager quote) by 2016 and increase Emirates destinations up to 270 aswell? Surely commands won't stretch out that long? Well at least we all hope they don't!!

Cheers

fatbus
25th Jul 2013, 01:11
Just a few words of warning : don't believe everything you hear and the fleet is not doubling in size by 2016. Come with an open mind and not an eye on the upgrade just in case it takes longer than expected as has been the case of late. Good luck, both fleets are good.

donpizmeov
25th Jul 2013, 06:04
Ron B,

For the fleet to double by 2016 EK would need to be receiving over 5 aeroplanes each and every month until the end of 2016. It isn't happening. EK would also need be hiring over 90 new pilots per month. I think latest news is hiring 190 total this year.
EK has 1800 FOs at the moment. If only 1400 are eligible for a command before you would need 23 commands per month for every month for the next 5 years to get ya command in 5 years. It ain't happening either.

The Don

A320fanatic
8th Aug 2013, 12:36
Hi all, I was just wondering...Did any of you guys (Airbus rated) who interviewed successfully in May/June got a start date yet?

nolimitholdem
8th Aug 2013, 19:17
But why would an EK HR manager lie about something like that? They never do that! And besides, there's no need to gild the lily, everyone knows EK is the best employer in the world with people climbing over each other to join!

:mad:

LouthGirl
8th Aug 2013, 22:42
Any idea what sims they've been using for assessment? Still big on 310/777 sims?

fatbus
9th Aug 2013, 01:41
310 sim is gone.

boqueron
11th Aug 2013, 10:26
Hi all , just wondering if any Boeing people from February / March interviews have received a start date yet ?

DAYSEEMAL
11th Aug 2013, 16:11
Negatory. Still waiting. Not heard of anyone getting the call yet.

ron_burgendy
12th Aug 2013, 04:45
thanks Don for the gen, guess its best just to turn up and wait your turn whenever it may be then. Thought it was too good to be true what HR were telling us during the interview. Oh well still looking forward to it either way, commands will still be faster than anything near home for me!!
Cheers

Ron

DAYSEEMAL
7th Sep 2013, 12:15
Any movement at all? Any rumours of movement? Even a whisper of movement? (Boeing)

Laker
8th Sep 2013, 04:15
Ron,

How long would you wait for a command back home? It's going to be a seriously long wait at EK. Make sure you really think it through. I can't imagine they would upgrade more than 200 per year. With roughly 2,000 FO's ahead of you it looks like a minimum of 10 years. Once they start up the DEC process again (inevitable) it will slow down the internal upgrades. Mgt will blame it on a lack of training capacity and say their hands are tied.

Considering the skyrocketing cost of living and how hard it is to save anything on a FO salary are you sure you want to make that kind of commitment to Dubai? It would be a shame to burn out completely on the ME just as your command arrives. You will fly a widebody with a low cost carrier roster. Emirates makes a lot of sense with a quick upgrade. But once it's 7+ years the sacrifices start to outweigh the benefits.

High_To_Low
8th Sep 2013, 05:29
Hi Guys,

I seem to remember that EK would actually let you apply with 1500hr Jet (plus total time > 4000) and be interviewed (if chosen obviously) but you would only be allowed to commence employment if successful through the interview process AND once you met the 2000Hr jet rule.
Tried looking everywhere on the EK website but couldn't find anything to say this is still the case.

Thanks in advance

michaeljpotter
8th Sep 2013, 08:25
Just take everything that the company says with a pinch of salt - you will soon learn the ways of the operation :E

A320330
9th Sep 2013, 07:46
Is there anyone in the Airbus Hold Pool ? When did you get your acceptance call ?

Rock320
24th Sep 2013, 18:41
Has anyone been called for an interview/assessment lately....it's been really quiet around here....read somewhere that hiring again starts in October...so does that mean they haven't been hiring for a while...????any one knows????

DAYSEEMAL
14th Oct 2013, 13:07
the sound of silence.

GoAround_Flaps20
17th Oct 2013, 21:34
Any idea of how many fellows on the 777 pool by now? And about possible DOJ for them? Cheers!

GoAround_Flaps20

T7flyer77
18th Oct 2013, 11:02
Current aircraft numbers stand at 186. More than 320 planned by 2017. That means fleet expansion of approx 75%. With north american pilots looking to head back (united to lure back furloughed pilots & others to follow soon due to pilots' shortage there , besides many openings coming up in Canada). Chinese carriers offering better money with european, Australian & american bases. Anticipating this upcoming attrition, new joiners may expect command within 4 years .... My observation, guys u may want to do your work on this as well & comment.

donpizmeov
18th Oct 2013, 15:35
T7 flyer,

You may want to check those numbers. I believe its 280ish by 2020 at the moment. There are supposedly more aircraft leaving the fleet next year than what are being delivered. The last of the 777s now on order arrives in 2020. The 77x isn't available until after 2020. We have 100 777s now and will peak at 160 with present orders. So the FO with the last command on the last 777 to be delivered has been in the company for a few years by now. We have close to half of the 380s on order by the end of this year. The 350 (if they arrive) start in 2017.
The 4 year commands are over.

The Don

fatbus
18th Oct 2013, 16:01
320 by 2017 ? Impossible, what Don said is more or less the plan as of now.

T7flyer77
18th Oct 2013, 17:46
Emirates fleet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_fleet)

Source for the > 320 figure by 2018. Can anyone share input on the attrition factor as discussed above

Thanks ...

The Guru
19th Oct 2013, 02:55
T7,
One of the major problems with Gen Y has been their failure to do proper research and only rely upon what is written on a computer screen, rather than using common sense and taking hold of the greater macro-economic picture. While not attempting to put you in that bracket, I am trying to point out that your statement is well out of context in this current discussion.

Your source is great, but the subsequent reference is to an article written back on 7/23/2010 @ 6:06PM, which is somewhat dated.:=

Trust all EK pilots when they tell you that much has happened at EK in the last two years!! I think Don and Fatbus are closer to the mark!:D

Cynical Simon
22nd Oct 2013, 12:03
Dear 'anyone in the know',

Whilst rumours as always are rife about courses and start dates, I know two people who are definitely starting on a 777 course in late December.

My questions are:

1) has anyone on here been given a January start date?
and
2) does EK operate the 1 year Hold Pool limit before reassessment/chopping?

Many thanks,

CS

squall1984
22nd Oct 2013, 18:36
Hey guys,

I'm just reaching the mins and want to apply. Realistically do I have a shot? Around where are ppl getting hired qualification wise. I'm not typed :(

Cynical Simon
22nd Oct 2013, 23:39
'when did the two people do their interviews that are starting the 777 course in
December?'

One was March this year, i'll ask the other.

bucket_and_spade
3rd Nov 2013, 15:01
1) has anyone on here been given a January start date?

Latest from HR - no courses on the Boeing until April '14. The last course this year appears to be the one in mid-December so a 4 month hiatus. Related to the runway closure/maintenance at DXB apparently.

B&S

Widebdy
4th Jan 2014, 20:22
Seems to be a lot of interview calls at the moment, is the Boeing holding pool starting to move?

Does anyone have an insight into how many pilots swim in the pool and then when called elect to turn down the position.

Are Ryanair Pilots a significant part of the candidate group? Is the recruitment by Norwegian for the 737 and 787 having any impact given they appear to be recruiting a lot of Pilots trying to escape Ryanair who would otherwise be looking at EK and EY.

Have any Boeing guys found themselves going onto the airbus at Emirates?

falcon10
4th Jan 2014, 23:03
Guy I just flew with was invited later this month for a Boeing interview but a week later was told it was sent by mistake but to expect one some time in the near future. How do you send out interview invites by mistake?

BluSideUp
5th Jan 2014, 15:11
Not surprising. For such a large company, they make some pretty strange mistakes.

Just over a year ago, I was hired by mistake! Hired in December, 2012; then contacted in April, 2013 saying I was no longer hired. Later found out that they were trying to get guys out of the pool that didn't have a Boeing or Airbus type.

The thing to expect with the likes of EK is that ANYTHING can happen. You are not fully hired until you pass your checkride.

falcon10
5th Jan 2014, 15:37
Sounds typical... but I know interviews are taking place now so are they for Boeing or Airbus?

DAYSEEMAL
6th Jan 2014, 10:02
Happy New Year all.

I hope you are all still managing to tread water and haven't sunk into the one-year+ inky abyss.

Things I know this year:

there are at least 50 of us in here (a colleague is 50+ on the list).
there is a list.
two of my colleagues on the list have now taken other employment.
no courses before May.
plenty of speculation but no official email explanation for the long wait.
there's still hope!
Best of luck and keep your heads above water.

mooseknuckles
7th Jan 2014, 05:08
I have a serious question, not being cheeky. Why would anyone go to EK right now when there are much better jobs and opportunities for expat pilots?

DAYSEEMAL
7th Jan 2014, 06:50
Some of us have family living/working in Dubai already.
It depends what you class as 'better'.

Widebdy
7th Jan 2014, 09:49
I have a serious question, not being cheeky. Why would anyone go to EK right now when there are much better jobs and opportunities for expat pilots?

It does appear Emirates has lost some of its appeal mainly due to not keeping up with inflation. Yes there is money to be found in Asia but it is not an ideal place especially for a first officer. With that in mind what expat opportunities are you referring to?

Thanks

Yorkshire_Pudding
7th Jan 2014, 17:19
I heard some Boeing guys interviewed in Jan/Feb '13 joined in Nov '13. This I believe was the last Boeing course to run.

I think some of the last Boeing interviews of 2013 took place around end of May? Hope the guys interviewed March/April get their call soon. I assume the 12 month limit relates to the actual date of job offer, not course start date.

Very positive news on new assessment dates going out. Good luck all.

mooseknuckles
7th Jan 2014, 18:13
I guess I'm thinking more for Captains although the appeal for first officers at EK seems to be waning as well. Asian airlines are offering captains more money and home basings. Many I talk to are looking east as the overall package at EK is falling behind the market. Perspective also depends on the fleet you are on. As an FO I suppose EK is a decent gig but understand you will be an FO for a long time. Honestly, I'm just wondering what is the advantage of EK over other airlines.