PDA

View Full Version : Pilot job

C K
25th Apr 2012, 22:50
Hello gents,

I am a pilot with 1300 hrs and about 1000 jet time on B727 B737 Learjet and G1159. Do you know by any chance if it is possible to find a job in Canada.
My licenses are FAA.

Any feedback is highly appreciated

Highsea
28th Apr 2012, 04:25
I highly don't see it happening. 1300 is low time here in the market we have here now. You don't have the time to hold a atpl here. You would need to convert to Transport Canada CPL from a FAA. That's not bad to do. But you need the papers to work here and that's not an easy one.

+TSRA
28th Apr 2012, 23:27
Are you sure you don't want to add a decimal place to your hours? 1,300 hrs total time and you have experience on 4 jets, all of which require a type rating... Would be suspect to me that you have that sort of time with those ratings.

To me, youve either bought them and have limited line experience - in which case you'll be at the bottom of the pilot list because 1,300 is just cutting your teeth in aviation....

Or

There is a typo, you have 13,000 hrs with 10,000 hrs on jets and with 4 type ratings you would be more attractive to operators with you having some actual experience...

I would not even bother trying if you do only have 1,300 hrs because there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of guys in the same boat here in Canada. If the latter applies, you'll have much more luck.

Either way, good luck!!

Naples
29th Apr 2012, 12:42
Stay away from Canadian aviation.

Canadian aviation is still pretty 3rd world. For every normal person you meet, you'll meet 10 people who have have "problems" and various "issues", and it only gets worse the older they get (there's an inter-generational 'abuse' cycle going on in Canadian aviation... you'll be hard pressed to find anyone over the age of 30 who is happy and who isn't "damaged" in some way...)

Besides, unless you have permission to work in Canada, you have 0 chance anyway.

I heard Air Canada is in trouble again... funny how history repeats itself, over and over and over again.

lilflyboy262...2
29th Apr 2012, 15:08
I got a work permit for Canada. And I am having the time of my life here.
Naples, I think you are a bit out of touch with reality....

Naples
29th Apr 2012, 15:19
How on earth did you get a work permit when there are already legions of qualified Canadian pilots on the street looking for work?

lilflyboy262...2
30th Apr 2012, 02:51
Qualified yes. Experienced no.
It's a captains market in Canada at the moment. They can't get enough because they are trying to dip into the same pool as Air Canada and Westjet. With Westjet looking at starting up a turboprop fleet in the near future, it is only going to make the problem worse.

MartinCh
1st May 2012, 01:27
PILOT is still considered skilled job in canada, despite the negative feelings it brings to unemployed Canucks. More than a year of work experience equivalent to fulltime, which is about 30-35hrs/wk+ in the paperwork, is enough to get chance to sort work permit/immigration visa.

Also, people can use Working Holiday Visa for a year, which is 1yr open work authorisation in the case of Canada, for under 30 or 35, depending on country of nationality (and the reciprocity, ie UK only 30yr max for application). People can then sort regular work permit or residence with job already and being in Canada.

People have done it that way in the past, including helicopter pilots from Australia, Europe or NZ.

The issue with asking for ridiculous amount of hours and twin time for small twins 'Captain', not to mention FO for airlines, that's another story. Not my concern either.

ACP
1st May 2012, 13:13
@Naples:

Canadian Aviation might be 3rd world in your point of vue but here we gain a solid hand flying experience you will certainly never get with the JAA route. Here we do not close the airport when there is 1cm of snow on the runway (ie: Heathrow); and we do not pull the stick when the A/C falls in a stall...
Here we don't pay for type ratings or line training (like you wanna do with the Lion Air P2F program in the 3rd world Indonesia), there is nothing to be proud of.
Many of my friends who are flying 777 or A320 in Europe are complaning cause they find the job boring; and they are less than 35 years old,
By the way, look how your country and Europe are falling...you will certainly become the 3rd world very soon.;)

McDoo the Irish Navigator
4th May 2012, 22:17
Well said. Agreed.
Everyone likes to talk the talk, but they can't walk the walk.

fitliker
18th May 2012, 20:45
There was some ads on www.avcanada.ca (http://www.avcanada.ca) for pilots,
Send them your resume.The worst they could do is say no.
Some of the companies up north hire people from all over the world to fly for them.
Some companies even pay medical and dental:}:}

dudabt
19th May 2012, 07:08
I dont know if it helps. Found it at Job bank:

Job Bank - Job Profile (http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/detail-eng.aspx?OrderNum=6386438&Source=JobPosting&ProvId=99&kwd=german&OpPage=50&Stdnt=No)

Matthias

av8r76
23rd May 2012, 02:20
and we do not pull the stick when the A/C falls in a stall
No, you only try dodging planets in cruise and crash semi airworthy a/c into terra firma while working for dodgy snivelling air taxi ops. They might pay for their TR's, but don't sell their soul wasting themselves on a ramp in the hopes of getting into an a/c whose weight is probable equal to that of the engine of an NG.
Ofcourse, the great white north is immune to world wide economic uncertainties, riiiiiiight. If Europe crashes, it takes EVERYONE down with it. So, careful what you wish for.

You might not like what Naples said, but look at the state of affairs in your industry before launching into a tirade with references completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

Spare us the holier than thou drivel.:rolleyes:

bcflyer
24th May 2012, 16:50
They might pay for their TR's, but don't sell their soul wasting themselves on a ramp in the hopes of getting into an a/c whose weight is probable equal to that of the engine of an NG.

This has got to be one of the most insulting posts I have ever seen on this forum. (and there have been some real winners posted here in the past)

Spouting off about the weight of an A/C shows just how ignorant you are. The majority of the flying being done with those aircraft "whose weight is probable equal to that of the engine of an NG" is far more challenging than anything you have ever done in your obviously sheltered aviation career. Flying into 2000 foot unimproved runways (no pavement for you, no CFRI's for you, and quite possibly no snow removal for you) at night with limited lighting (no vasis for you, quite likely half the lights you do get are covered by the snow that hasn't been removed) and limited navaids (no ils for you) is unbelievably more challenging than any flying I have done at an airline level. Oh and just to add to the fun, there are no autopilots, autobrakes, auto throttles, FMS or EFIS to help you out.
There are numerous articles lamenting that fact that pilots today are losing their hand and feet skills. Buying a TR and starting in the RS of an NG certainly isn't helping the situation......

lilflyboy262...2
25th May 2012, 03:23
@av8r

I didn't work the ramp at all....
Nor pay for my type rating...

You spout of about one person making generic comments while making your own?

Left Coaster
25th May 2012, 05:22
Av8r hey? Not likely by the sounds of it...some of the biggest idiots I ever had the pleasure of trying to train on a heavy were the knobs who flew from ILS to ILS and had nothing else to offer...especially when it came to common sense airmanship...and Mr Av8tr (by the sounds of it) may have been one of them...all talk and no ability! Maybe not his fault though, once that frozen ATPL and the NG TR and all that experience (what...350 hours?) is in the logbook, the only logical next step is a command! Back of the bus for you Mr Av8tr...come back when you have the experience to fly with the one's who have earned the right to comment... wait your turn! :=