PDA

View Full Version : ATCo for one with fATPL? Any shortcuts, anything easier?

Roope
22nd Apr 2012, 12:38
Hi guys.

I'm 26, holding a JAA frozen ATPL, but I've been job hunting for almost 6 months and pretty much fed up with it, to be honest, so I'm trying to look into some alternates.. I love flying, hence I'm looking at opportunities like CAA (although too much bureau stuff), and ATC.. this latter one looks a lot more tempting to me, however I read everywhere that its extremely costy, it takes a lot of time, selection process is rough, and jobs are very hard to get. I was just wondering if these all apply for commercial pilots too? I mean, I did the 14 ATPL subjects including air law, communications, etc, so most of the things needed for ATC I would assume that I should know already... so is there a faster / cheaper way for us? is it easier to get a job ?

Thanks a lot for your input.
Cheers, Roope

Sir Herbert Gussett
22nd Apr 2012, 13:50
No, and it is completely different from what you think. :ok: Although some things you may find easier ie Air Law, Meteorology etc, that's very little compared to what really makes an ATCO. Hardly anyone from a general population can do it and hardly anyone can do it very well, that's why selection is so bloody tough! Don't see it as an alternative to flying as it is far, far from it.

(ATPL, Captain, close friends with UK ATCO in a senior position)

Loki
22nd Apr 2012, 13:56
No reason why you couldn't be an ATCO (except for some of the remarks above), but I've met many aspiring controllers with a shed load of pilot qualifications who didn't make it.....including one person who told me "I ought to be able to do this, I've got a frozen ATPL"

Different skill set altogether.....though some of the knowledge is transferrable. Good luck, whatever happens.

mebur_verce
22nd Apr 2012, 14:03
Although some things you may find easier ie Air Law, Meteorology etc, that's very little compared to what really makes an ATCO.

My point exactly.

Two of the guys in my ATCO course were holding a frozen ATPL, and subjects like Met, A/C performance etc. were indeed more straightforward for them. I guess they also had an easier time learning the RT. But that's it, basically.

Incidentally, they are now both very good controllers, but I believe it's more related to their true passion for the job than to their aeronautical background.

As Loki says, though, if you believe you'll be happier as an ATCO, give it a go, by all means!

Plazbot
22nd Apr 2012, 14:09
Any retard with enough money can be a pilot.

Roope
22nd Apr 2012, 16:45
Plazbot - ye I really didnt want to sound like an ass, I just dont wanna throw away everything completely that I worked for so many years..

Thanks mebur, Loki, Sir Herbert for the insight, it did make the picture clearer, cheers!

cambioso
24th Apr 2012, 07:38
I'm a retard, have got a lot of money, but (despite trying for 40 years!) am still not a pilot...............................
Jez

rennaps
24th Apr 2012, 08:33
You might train as an Instrument flight Procedure Designer. There are very few around and qualified procedure designers are very sort after. It is a desk job but you get out to the airports quite often.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Apr 2012, 08:50
<<am still not a pilot.............>>

You could have fooled me J!!!