PDA

View Full Version : Radio Telephony operators licence exam

skipzoid
18th Apr 2012, 14:10
Hello.

I'm trying to find some sort of online training for the RT licence, I have already passed the written but need to brush up on the practical before I do that and need a little schooling. Having read the CAP413 a couple of times now, I'm more comforatble but still dont want to fail it.

Whats involved, how difficult is it really to pass ?

oceancrosser
20th Apr 2012, 07:20
is this a UK thing? RT Licence? Did away with that useless paper eons ago.

custardpsc
22nd Apr 2012, 10:34
The practical is not hard at all. It is quite basic, and applicable to all from PPL up. Most people training get exemption from it by having a certain amount (16 hrs iirc) of their training flights noted as r/t used and barely realise it exists.

Mine was a while ago but i sat in a booth with a headset on and a simple map on a bit of paper which gives you a scenario flight. You call for start, ready for departure etc, get airbourne, hand off to enroute controller, cross a matz etc and then maintain silence whilst a mayday occurs on frequency.

Its probably a bit fancier now with different types of traffic service etc but not hard.

There is an old thread on here where one of the guys is a RT trainer - might try asking there if this isn't enough to reassure you. http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/262022-cap-413-aip-confusion-2.html

custardpsc
22nd Apr 2012, 10:44
oceancrosser - CAP413 is about as 'UK' as it gets but I can't offhand think of a country that doesn't have a rt licence in one form or another although most have it in the small print, especially on professional licenses - may one ask where your licence was issued ?

skipzoid
24th Apr 2012, 07:35
That's reassuring thanks, it'd be nice if I could find some actua examples to listen too, bit like a listen and repeat foreign language course, which I guess is what it is in some form.

I've been told that's pretty much as you've said, but will also need to call a maydaay or relay one, ask for bearings to / from an air field, qme?

I didn't realise using the RT could count as the practical, or isn't that the case in the UK?

custardpsc
8th May 2012, 11:35
In the uk if you have something like 16 instances in your training records of flighst with RT you can be exempt the test - I am hazy about the details because it was a long time a go. My uk ppl issue was knocked back for lack of these and I had to do the practical. I don't know about other countries. FAA has a separate 'radio operators' licence but they give them away with the private (and in cereal boxes I heard) , although if applying for private under some circumstances you have to get one from FCC yourself.

MarkerInbound
8th May 2012, 14:58
Just to clarify, there is no FAA radio operator license. The FCC controls the radio waves in the US and they have decreed there is no requirement for an operator license for the VHF radios installed in aircraft if flown in the US. They do issue a license for pilots flying internationally. While they used to give these away, now they require that your check clears first.