PDA

View Full Version : HEAVY

Spooky 2
16th Apr 2012, 17:34
Thanks to all. On last item and while believe I know the answer, I will tap the brain trust one more time. The term, "Heavy" is never supposed to be used in UK airspace, or for that matter anywhere in the EU...confirm?

Regards,

Spooky

Casper87
16th Apr 2012, 18:36
Negative.

From CAP413 -RT Manual for the UK:

"Aircraft in the heavy wake turbulence category shall include the word ‘HEAVY’
immediately after the aircraft callsign in the initial call to each ATSU. The purpose of this call is to confirm the aircraft type and/or wake turbulence category is the same as that stated on the flight progress strip. For the A380 the word "SUPER" is to be included after the callsign on initial contact."

Not sure what Doc 9432 has to say on the matter though.

Spooky 2
16th Apr 2012, 18:54
Thanks Casper. Poor wording on my part. So the initial call up should use the Heavy term and subsequent communications may delete this terminolgy?

UpperATC
16th Apr 2012, 21:19
Another source:

Doc 4444, Chapter 4.

4.9.2 Indication of heavy wake turbulence category
For aircraft in the heavy wake turbulence category the word "Heavy" shall be included immediately after the aircraft call sign in the initial radiotelephony contact between such aircraft and ATS unit.

The majority will use it only on initial contact. However some of the pilots are using it on each call or readback - not a big issue.

Casper87
17th Apr 2012, 12:26
Spooky,

Yes that's correct. Only used for initail call to each ATSU.

Silvershadow
17th Apr 2012, 13:35
Very rarely heard now. Most pilots think it's a bit "naff".

Anyway first call for startup or with approach should include aircraft type.

Flightmech
17th Apr 2012, 14:39
I always chuckle when I hear our A300-600F call, "Ground (ABC1234) Heavy ready for taxi":E

WorkInProgress
29th Apr 2012, 09:19
Only time I hear 'heavy' used is when speaking to American pilots or indeed when talking to A380 pilots who obviously use 'super'. I can't remember when I last heard a UK pilot using 'heavy' on initial contact.

Akhorahil
29th Apr 2012, 09:30
DLH uses too most of the time. And the americans only sometimes here. Anyway we know when a tfc is heave because we see a yellow H on the screen, can´t be missed.

Spitoon
29th Apr 2012, 09:54
Anyway we know when a tfc is heave because we see a yellow H on the screen, can´t be missed.In the old days when we used strips it used to written clearly on the there too. The original reason for pilots to report the heavy wake category was both as a reminder to controllers when heavys were uncommon and in case the information in the 'system' was incorrect for some reason. But I'm sure the information is always absolutely accurately these days.

NQWhy
30th Apr 2012, 11:37
I seem to recall that the word "the" was used alot more commonly in front of the word "Speedbird" than "heavy" was used after it!!