PDA

View Full Version : What information?

John R81
16th Apr 2012, 12:27
A theoretical question until Saturday 09:00Z. I would particularly like to hear from someone operating UK Farn E LARS, thanks in advance

I will be taking part in an exercise (RAMBLER). The exercise briefs at 08:30Z so I will run in from EGKR and land at Ebbsfleet. 09:00Z the exercise begins and I will be orbiting Ebbsfleet at below 1200 ft, 60-65knt with between 3-5 landings into / out of that site. On closure and debrief, back to EGKR.

I have only one radio and need to talk with the ground exercise so I can't also monitor FARN E LARS. I was thinking of letting the LARS controller know what was going on (at beginning and end of each lift) but not monitoring in between and not taking any service from the controller (7000, VFR). I will also notify Rochester by telephone on Friday, so thy will at least be aware.

Any better throughts would be appreciated.

John

aluminium persuader
16th Apr 2012, 15:48
I'm not Farnborough Lars but radar a little bit north of. Your plan sounds good, but I would add a phone call to Farnborough prior to the day so that you can discuss it with them without pressure. If I had someone doing something similar, I would probably give them a squawk for the duration & ask them to report "ops normal" every 30mins or so, and to let me know if the intended to land for any prolonged period of time.

ap

John R81
16th Apr 2012, 19:14
AP

Thanks for the response. I will take your advice. I have had no luck searching the CAA website for a telephone number. Can you direct me where to find it, or PM me if you know?

Many thanks

John

Foxbat01
16th Apr 2012, 19:45
You could try the telephone numbers published in the AIP here:

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-C595F6CC53AD9DB801808994A1189B6C/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIP/AD/EG_AD_2_EGLF_en_2012-04-05.pdf

John R81
16th Apr 2012, 20:30
Thanks for the help, guys

SilentHandover, Foxbat01, AP - if you fance a ride sometime let me know.

John

chevvron
19th Apr 2012, 14:18
I'm ex Farnborough LARS (all sectors) now Fairoaks.
By all means phone Farnborough prior to the day to pre-warn them, but there could be a different watch in on saturday and sometimes essential info doesn't get passed on, so phone again on saturday (01252 526015) to confirm. Better still if your exercise is NOTAMMED as that'll give them something to refer to. There should be someone there from 0745 local time, but they'll be busy doing opening checks so better to wait until 8am before you phone.

aluminium persuader
19th Apr 2012, 21:40
Oh, might just take you up on that!:ok:

John R81
22nd Apr 2012, 08:54
My thanks and appreciation to the ladies and gentlement of Farnbourough Lars East for your assistance yesterday. Operation RAMBLER ran like clockwork. At the debrief, lots of learning points (many related to COMS), which will be put into use firstly in covering the torch procession.

Air Search teams flew under 5020 (with FAR Lars E) operating out of Silver Command (one aircraft, me). I had an "inner" orbit not above 1200 QNH. Mostly lifting "management" for an "overview" and camera teams for delivery of images on return to Silver Command. The second team, several aircraft, flew under 7010 (with Rochester Information, code given by Southend) out of Rochester. They took an outer orbit not below 1500 QNH. Their reports and photographs were uploaded to Silver Command on return to Rochester.

I would be interested in hearing any thoughts, observations or suggestions from controllers (involved or not) about how to make this better, from your perspective.

Should all operation aircraft be on one frequency?

Is it sensible to operate on a frequency that has no radar, even if it is close by (9.5 miles) and is launcing / recovering aircraft?

One squawk for all operation aircraft, or was it easier running two as they flew different profiles in any case?

Any other thoughts?

Finally, any current or ex controllers interested in joining Air Search? I suspect that you would have much to offer.

Regards

John

chevvron
22nd Apr 2012, 11:58
7010 should only be used by aircraft operating in the visual circuit of an airfield.

John R81
22nd Apr 2012, 13:13
Code suggested by a Controller, and from 1200 ft I had visual with EGTO field (just to give perspective).

Do you think it would have been better to take another option? If so, can you elaborate

Thanks in advance

John

chevvron
22nd Apr 2012, 14:14
Tell either Manston, Southend or Farnborough you won't be able to listen out on their frequency but will call every X minutes and ask if you could have a conspicuity code? Otherwise ask AUS for a code to use when you send the notification of your exercise to them.

John R81
23rd Apr 2012, 08:16
Thanks. we will take this on board.

John