PDA

View Full Version : EGLL Ground freqs.

Spooky 2
16th Apr 2012, 12:18
Is there any logic as to what Ground Control freq is appropriate at EGLL, 121.7 or 121.9. Looking at the Jepps along with the UK AIP and I can't tell? North side or South side?

Also, confirm that the initial clearance to 6000 out of EGLL is spoken "six thousand feet" and not FL060.

Much appreciated as we build a 787 sim lesson back here in Seattle. :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Apr 2012, 12:38
"six thousand feet" and not FL060."

It's 6 thousand feet, which may be considerably different to FL60. 6000 ft is also the TA so above that Flight Levels are employed.

Several frequencies are in use for Ground Control as the airfield is split for that purpose. Probably a Heathrow Controller ill assist....

Gonzo
16th Apr 2012, 16:32
The Terminal 5 area is GMC3, 121.850, the rest of the airfield is split on a line running from NW to SE, from stand 338 in Terminal 3 to the 27L threshold; anything south of this line is GMC2, 121.7, and north of this line is GMC1, 121.9.

However, depending on the traffic levels, one frequency might be closed.

The most common scenario is GMC1 and 3 together on 121.850, and GMC2 on its own.

Spooky 2
16th Apr 2012, 16:59
Thanks to all. On last item and while believe I know the answer, I will tap the brain trust one more time. The term, "Heavy" is never supposed to be used in UK airspace, or for that matter anywhere in the EU...confirm?

Regards,

Spooky

Skipness One Echo
26th Apr 2012, 02:18
Hi guys,

The scenario above, does that change when using the 09s?
T4 seems to be on 121.9MHz a lot when that happens,

Thanks

Gonzo
26th Apr 2012, 03:18
Yes, on easterlies we tend to combine GMC2 on to GMC1, so everything apart from Terminal 5 campus is on 121.9.

Dave Clarke Fife
26th Apr 2012, 08:10
Thanks to all. On last item and while believe I know the answer, I will tap the brain trust one more time. The term, "Heavy" is never supposed to be used in UK airspace, or for that matter anywhere in the EU...confirm?

Regards,

Spooky

Hi Spooky, it's not that the term "is never supposed to be used in UK airspace" in fact the latest version of CAP413 ( the UK RT bible) states that aircraft in the heavy category shall state that they are a heavy ( or indeed a 'super' ) on initial contact with each ATSU. The reason for this is that the controller can check the aircraft is the same as that stated on the Flight Progress Strip. The reality is that only the US operators tend to use the term. In all my time I can't think of many non American operators who state they are 'Heavvvvvvvy'