PDA

View Full Version : ATCO rest time during night shift

zilir
14th Apr 2012, 19:32
Hello gents

Anybody could provide any information regarding the ATCO rest time during night shift. Should a bed be provided to him by the employer in order to sleep during his night shift rest time?
Is there any EU legislation regarding this?
Thank you in advance

NQWhy
20th Apr 2012, 09:49
Have a look at CAP670 Part D Section 2.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Apr 2012, 10:13
When I worked abroad we had a couple of loungers in the ops room so one of us could get 40 winks during the night when there was no local traffic. However, there was the threat of dismissal should we be found out.

When I went to Heathrow in the very early 70s there were communal dormitories for male ATCO, femal ATCO, male ATCA and female ATCAs. These were later changed to individual bedrooms with beds and a small bedside unit. Sheets and pillow cases were provided. When we moved to West Drayton in the early 90s we had to scrabble around to find an empty office in which to to rest. I would add that some offices were provided with folding beds. I don't know what the situation is at Swanwick.

BDiONU
20th Apr 2012, 14:06
I don't know what the situation is at Swanwick.
Swanwick is like a Holiday Inn.

blueskythinking
20th Apr 2012, 14:12
bdionu- I assume you have never tried to sleep in swanwick rest facilities. Either that or you have had some bad experiences with holiday inns.;)

Sir George Cayley
20th Apr 2012, 19:41
Some employees working just under the lofty VCR work a 12 hr shift solo. In other words - no break because there's no-one else.

Worse still, falling asleep on the job is a sacking offence.

Cardboard box to live in? You lucky buggers, we had a hole in't ground.

SGC

omaATC
21st Apr 2012, 08:29
A hole in the ground? You were lucky!

We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake.

Tower Ranger
21st Apr 2012, 08:58
A Lake? You lucky lucky b####s, we could only dream of a lake! We had to live in a broken fishtank behind PetsRus!

rab-k
24th Apr 2012, 09:09
Anybody could provide any information regarding the ATCO rest time during night shift.Rest periods are the same during the night as for any other time of day; with the exception of the 'enhanced relief' sectors (10:00-14:30 local).

Beds provided by our employer are, so I'm told, not for the purpose of providing staff with somewhere to get their heads down during the night shift, but are there to be used by those coming off their night shift who may feel too fatigued to drive home safely; duty of care on the part of the employer and all that.

The beds are of course used during the night shift by those who are not required for whatever reason, but that isn't the main purpose for them being there.

TRACKBALL
25th Apr 2012, 10:12
Air Traffic Controllers Caught On Video (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpps/news/national/air-traffic-controllers-caught-on-video-20120223-share_18194458)

possibleconsequences
25th Apr 2012, 16:41
Rules at a certain uk airport; can work up to 4 hours as long as breaks are proportionate( must have 1 hour if work full four). Shift is nine hours, lone working(ie one controller and no assistant) around a dozen passenger and cargo flights per night. Rest can be taken horizontally! Breaks are managed to fit in gaps as aircraft movements determine.

zilir
1st May 2012, 20:04
Thank you NQWhy for the link, thank you everyone for your time and inputs