PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights Charters

betterfromabove
14th Apr 2012, 14:01
Has anyone actually flown these flights, as crew or pax?

This last season, what was the chance of success of seeing the Lights?

Really intriguing and creative use of an aircraft I've got to say!!

Thanks
BFA

750XL
14th Apr 2012, 18:33
Haven't flown on one, but I've been involved in about 3 of them this season, all of whom saw the Northern Lights.

I managed to bag return flights to KEF from MAN with Icelandair for £200 and spent a weekend there with clear skies all days, but no bloody lights :suspect: :sad: Although I didn't see the lights, it was a great trip to a spectacular country and we were just highly unlucky in not seeing them.

I personally can't see why anyone would go on a Northern Lights flight when you can pay less and visit Iceland yourself but hey ho :hmm:

betterfromabove
14th Apr 2012, 19:04
750XL. Yes, just seen on website that apparently 80% of flights do see them. Quite a surprising statistic, even if you are above the weather.

There's a finite cost to these things of course, but agree £200 is a lot of money for what may be only 15 mins viewing (they shift the pax around for all to get window seats, which must be annoying....)

Am a geologist, so quite understand the delights of Iceland!! I fear a weekend would be too short for me though! Don't hear too many discontented coming back from there that's for sure! Other problem is you have to go there in winter to get sufficient darkness to see the lights.

Jealous of the long-haulers who seem them regularly from up front must say....

750XL
14th Apr 2012, 19:13
Best value for money would be to go for a long weekend in Reykjavik from Luton on Easyjet, in my opinion

wiggy
14th Apr 2012, 20:21
just seen on website that apparently 80% of flights do see them. Quite a surprising statistic, even if you are above the weather.

Must admit I tend to agree, though I guess if you include relatively unspectacular forms of the Aurora such as the "quiet" Glow you'll get the percentage up......

Jealous of the long-haulers who seem them regularly from up front must say.... :E :E

Yep, a very active auroral display seen through a big window up front is definitely one of nature's wonders.

towser
15th Apr 2012, 14:45
I operated one of these a while back. We didn't get really good aurora like you see in videos etc but more of a vague but definite glow. What was more impressive was the definition of stars etc.

wiggy
15th Apr 2012, 15:26
This British Astronomical Association "paper" might be of interest:

BAA Aurora Section: Visibility of the Aurora (http://www.britastro.org/aurora/visibility.htm)