PDA

View Full Version : What's going on at Jazz?

GMC1500
14th Apr 2012, 11:38
Just getting bits and pieces of info. Between this and the problems at AC, seems to be a perfect storm over there.

breguet
15th Apr 2012, 15:24
Jazz had a contract to fly B757 for Thomas Cook which is in financial troubles. Cook decided to close almost all their agencies in France and to terminate early their contract with Jazz.

Iver
16th Apr 2012, 02:41
So, what will happen to the current Jazz 757 pilots? Back to the CRJ or new Q400s? Or more likely with their new Boeing time applications out to Emirates and Qatar.... Stepping back into a CRJ after flying the 757 to the Caribbean for a year or two would not be easy. :eek::confused::}

Jet Jockey A4
16th Apr 2012, 11:51
^^^^^ BINGO! Give the man a cigar.^^^^^

4holer
17th Apr 2012, 07:24
I don't necessarily think it is chasing an airplane. It is chasing a lifestyle. I've been flying long haul on the whale since 2005 and I would never go back to domestic short hop flying. Generally (not always) bigger airplanes = longer flights = more time off. Yes it is hard work but so is having to fly 4-6 legs a day. Just a different perspective.

GMC1500
18th Apr 2012, 13:14
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 57 flying was only for the winter season and the guys had to fly the RJs the rest of the year anyways. I guess it was nice for the less senior RJ capts to get some more time on the 705 while the senior guys played on the 57.
As for them looking to the middle east/china, I somehow doubt it. It would have been only the most senior guys flying the boeing, as in been at Jazz in its various names/companies for 20+ years. I don't see them suddenly picking up everything and moving across the earth, if they'd wanted to do that they could have long ago without the boeing time.
I'm also wondering if it will mean layoffs at Jazz, and more importantly, what all the crap at AC is doing to them, and what they will do if AC folds or drops them.

JammedStab
18th Apr 2012, 21:44
Looks like WJ has picked up all the Thomas Cook work.

Iver
19th Apr 2012, 03:08
First, I meant no offense. Just a basic question - more lifestyle than aircraft size. Personally, I would not be happy if I were getting bumped off the Caribbean flying on the 757. I agree that there is a big difference between flying 2 long 757 sectors (i.e., Toronto - Los Cabos and back) and flying 6 Q400 sectors or 5 CRJ sectors in one day. Regional flying can be just as exhausting in my opinion (and quite boring if you fly the same routes every day) as longhaul flying. Six sectors in harsh winter conditions with all of the delays does not seem so appealing. :yuk: But that is just my opinion - yours might differ.

By the way, in my recent travels to the Middle East, I met many Canadians. I just met an Air Transat A310 pilot who was on his way to an interview with Emirates - so, my suggestion about flying in the Middle East is not too far off. Plus, with 757 time, at least the Jazz guys would get noticed by EK - although CRJ-900 time might get them an interview at Qatar but an interview with EK is almost a guarantee with decent 757 experience. Not sure if just Q400 time would get you an interview at QR - probably not likely at EK for those who might be interested in other options.

Iver
19th Apr 2012, 03:09
Double post....

GMC1500
22nd Apr 2012, 14:19
I couldn't agree more.
This is definately a job more suited to single guys than those with wives and/or kids.
As a single guy, its easy. Only yourself to make happy, which is quite easy given the amount of money, time off, and surplus of hot young single women in dubai.
As for a married guy (to a canadian wife?) with kids, you've got the deck stacked against you from the moment you arrive.
I've felt for a while that recruitment should offer the job to single guys ahead of married guys, because the married guys will face stresses and pressures that the single guys won't. The single guys will likely love it here.