PDA

View Full Version : Aberporth radar service

pipertommy
14th Apr 2012, 11:31
Just a quick question to any ATCO at Aberporth.
I did enjoy the presentation night at Swansea airport. I have a question relating to the radar service you provide, what is the minimum altitude a service ie traffic service that can be given over Swansea Airport/ Gower?
If was returning into Swansea IFR/IMC for cloud break over the channel prior to a visual approach. Such a service would save calling Cardiff.
Thanks.

chevvron
14th Apr 2012, 14:50
From what I know of Aberporth, the radar is really configured to give best coverage over Cardigan Bay, and with a lot of high ground to the south, I would guess low coverage in the vicinity of Swansea isn't good enough to be used to get low enough over the sea to the south. I think you would find the minimum altitude they could take you would be about 2500ft amsl.(just a guess off the top of my head - I could be wrong)
Now if Brawdy was still open.............

Mirach Killer
14th Apr 2012, 16:26
As mentioned the high ground to the South does prove a problem and the minimum level in that area for a Traffic Service would be 4000ft amsl, increasing after 40nm out from Aberporth to 6000ft. However if trying to let down over the channel we could not take you much further South than Swansea as we only operate down to 51.30N.

Really glad the presentation proved useful and please drop me a PM if any other questions :)

chevvron
14th Apr 2012, 19:04
Mirach: is it still Cardiff controllers on detachment who do Aberporth?

Mirach Killer
14th Apr 2012, 19:34
Aberporth has it's own team with no staff on detachment from Cardiff, although we do have Cardiff as our 'parent' unit for GM support etc.