PDA

View Full Version : Reinforced cockpit doors

jcrewdson
12th Apr 2012, 19:04
I'm a writer who is interested in learning whether any consideration was given to reinforcing cockpit doors prior to 9/11. I have heard, and seen posts on this site, suggesting that there was, and that the FAA somehow managed to table the issue at the behest of the airlines, who did not wish to bear the extra expense involved. Whatever anyone might know on this topic would be greatly appreciated. You can reach me at my private email, [email protected]

John Crewdson

Lookleft
17th Apr 2012, 00:28
Why don't you start with El Al. They had a double cockpit door system after the hijacking epidemic of the 70's. I remember reading somewhere the Israelies recommended all airlines do something similar as it was inevitable that Western airlines would be targeted.

Agaricus bisporus
17th Apr 2012, 10:16
As major changes to regs in aviation are almost always reactive - especially if they cost much money - and those doors cost plenty, believe me, there was no incentive and therefore clearly no need for them prior to 11-9 in the eyes of the indsutry. Israeli security consultants may have thought otherwise but convincing Western airlines to shell out $Ms for a hypothetical threat just wasn't going to happen.
If they want to stop that sort of thin happening again no amount of doors is going to work as doors have to be opened occasionally and a door that is ever opened might as well not be there at all. God forbid anyone ever does get past one of those doors again becasue the first thing that will happen is that we will be issued with a potty and locked in there from the moment the security guard (just recruited from the unemployed) teks the key at the beginning of our duty and until they let us out 12 hours later. That's the next reactive "answer", when instead of rummaging around inside pilot's pants (I use that term in the English sense) and searching my 80yr old mum for 10 minutes they should be doing what those pesky Israelis do and profile pax and look at the ones that are flagged up.
But this entire "security" farce isn't much designed to stop trouble, its very much designed so the politicians and regulators can slope shoulders the next time and say "It wasn't our fault, we did all we could" which they reinforce by repeatedly bringing out asinine new requirements that can have no practical effect. (except to demonstrate their administrative zeal).

Call me a cynic. I am, I.ve seen too much of this farce not to be.

Slasher
17th Apr 2012, 15:20
Well bloody said Ab. My thoughts exactly!

Can't vouch for the source authenticity but hasn't Israel now
developed a bomb-proof pax-inspection cubicle that ignites
any bomb hidden on (or in) one's person?

Dodge initial security hoops... --> go in... --> go BOOM!