PDA

View Full Version : to take off of not?

kontrolor
11th Apr 2012, 16:50
sorry if this post is not it where it should belong..

for how long do you think you pilots should tolerate dangerous airport layout such as St. Maartens?

At the end of the day, some crew might be held accountable for injury or even (god forbid) death of some stupid tourists, doing stunts like this St. Maartens blow job..

Girl blown by a plane - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LV28AL0k1kY)

3rd Floor
11th Apr 2012, 17:23
I doubt it considering there are signs warning people about jet blast

sb_sfo
11th Apr 2012, 17:28
Definitely some future Darwin award winners here...

JEM60
11th Apr 2012, 17:33
Been there, seen that, but if people want to hurt themselves with their own stupidity, then that's not the airports fault. Whilst I stood underneath a landing A.340 [yes, that was stupid as well] there is no way I would want my eyes, or anything else for that matter, to be damaged by standing just behind a jet airliner. Nitwits just trying to be 'well ard'!

gcal
11th Apr 2012, 18:15
I've been to St Maarten many times and stayed at the Maho Beach hotel very close to the airport.
During boring conferences it was a sheer pleasure to witness the landings and take offs at the airport.
There is a small bar close to the end of the runway at the beach end and it was also a pleasure to witness the daily KLM/AirFrance and AA large aircraft landing and taking off.
It reminded me of what air shows in this country used to be like before the yellow jacket health and safety brigade got their fascist hands in.
ps I do recognise that H+S is of some use! That's just to get the politically correct point in :ugh:

aterpster
11th Apr 2012, 20:47
3rd Floor:

I doubt it considering there are signs warning people about jet blast.

That assumes she can read or, as the lawyers would say, "A fact not in evidence."

con-pilot
11th Apr 2012, 23:10
for how long do you think you pilots should tolerate dangerous airport layout such as St. Maartens?

You've started off with a false premise, the St. Maarten airport is not dangerous.

Are you a pilot? If so, have you operated in and out of St. Maarten?

I am and have a lot.

If neither of the above is yes, I respectfully submit you do not know what you are talking about.

fingal flyer
11th Apr 2012, 23:17
Kontrolor,
You HAVE posted in the wrong place,put it in the bin.
She was stupid.What did the flight crew do wrong,nothing.

pudoc
11th Apr 2012, 23:21
If the person is within the perimeter fence, then probably. But this isn't the first time people hang on to the fence outside TNCM. There's even a special name for the activity of hanging onto a fence while a jet take's off (I believe 'stupidity' is the unofficial name).

It happens a lot, there are signs everywhere. Not my problem.

Might aswell sue Ikea for producing the knife the bloke down the road killed himself with.

Pub User
11th Apr 2012, 23:24

That's an interesting question. At which particular stage of the pilot's involvement do you think he could take an intolerant attitude, and what would become of it?

At roster publication: "I can't tolerate this airport". OK, you're refusing to fly your roster, you're sacked.

At pre-flight planning: "I can't tolerate this airport". OK, you're off the flight, it's delayed, another pilot is called in, and the management want to speak to you. BTW, you're sacked.

On approach: "I can't tolerate this airport". OK, shut up and land as safely as you can.

On departure: "I can't tolerate this airport". OK, just hope no illiterate cretin is standing behind you when you apply power, and don't do anything silly like standing on the brakes whilst spooling up.

con-pilot
11th Apr 2012, 23:26
Might aswell sue Ikea for producing the knife the bloke down the road killed himself with

Exactly. :ok:

lakerman
12th Apr 2012, 14:46
Fingal Flyer, actually you are wrong, the pilot was in the wrong, he turned into a nogo part of the runway, and he held onto the brakes whilst seemingly doing a long run up which has come in for a lot of criticism in the US press and flying fraternity.

transmitforDF
12th Apr 2012, 14:58
Had to get myself there last year through the worry that some silly fool would end up killing themselves or (god forbid) a larger accident was to occur, therefore closing the boundary and wiping out a wonder of the world (to us aviation enthusiasts). It does concern me that it could only be a matter of time :uhoh:

JEM60
12th Apr 2012, 17:29
LAKERMAN. So it wasn't a stupid place for her to stand then????...............

jabird
13th Apr 2012, 00:50
Surely the danger (and in many cases op for a more spectacular photo if you have a long enough lens) at SXM is not the landing over Maho where you are only putting Darwin nominees at risk, but the take-off over (or avoiding) Signal Hill on the way home?

To execute such a move so soon after take-off must take some serious skill, so I salute those that have performed it (not including in Microsoft FS!).

JEM60
13th Apr 2012, 07:44
Not sure that avoiding the hill is that much of a problem. As long as all the ducks are in a row [speed, gear, flaps etc., it's not that sharp a turn. Bit more skill required landing from that direction tho', including doing it on MSFS:) as well as for real.

Tableview
13th Apr 2012, 07:49
So do we ban cars because you can kill yourself in your car? Knives, swimmimg pools, hammers, plastic bags, electricity, gas, staple guns, you could even kill yourself with a pencil if you choose to do so.

People who are that stupid should be eliminated from the gene pool. The only purpose they have in life is to entertain others, but it's a little unfair on those who have to clear up the mess.

Anything can be dangerous when misused.

jabird
13th Apr 2012, 15:30
Not sure that avoiding the hill is that much of a problem. As long as all the ducks are in a row [speed, gear, flaps etc., it's not that sharp a turn. Bit more skill required landing from that direction tho', including doing it on MSFS as well as for real.

I was under the impression that approaches from that direction were one of the few things banned around SXM?

So do we ban cars because you can kill yourself in your car? Knives, swimmimg pools, hammers, plastic bags, electricity, gas, staple guns, you could even kill yourself with a pencil if you choose to do so.

TV - exactly, I am far too chicken to go swimming in European waters but have swam in the Caribbean Sea a few times. On two occassions I have been very close to shore when a wave has hit me and catapulted me over. On the beach at Maho you have that risk, plus the waves the departing a/c cause, plue the chance of someone being pushed from the beach into the sea by the jetblast. A strong case to ban swimming there methinks!

SloppyJoe
13th Apr 2012, 16:05
I think the pilots in that video are also being slightly irresponsible and encouraging those on the beach. Notice the open window and the waves whilst lining up, the waving of the elevators at the crowd and it appears although unable to tell that holding on the brakes is also taking place. Stupidity from not only those on the beach.

JEM60
14th Apr 2012, 11:17
JABIRD. Didn't know they were banned from that direction. Certainly I hadn't seen one whilst I was there.

jabird
14th Apr 2012, 11:55
Jem60 - I don't know that, it is just an assumption. Can any pros comment?

speedbird9274
16th Apr 2012, 15:56
Have any aircraft damaged the fence when landing ??