PDA

View Full Version : Finesse in flying

lion-g
11th Apr 2012, 11:50
Dear experienced aviators,

Just want to learn from you guys on how to improve the finesse in flying the big jets. Looking at ways to fine tune my operations to make me a more competent pilot.

I will start the ball rolling :-

1) Make sure after lining up on the runway, a/c is exactly on RW HDG.
2) To achieve target V2+10 after rotation by attitude flying.
3) Pending ATC, try to achieve a CANPA descent whenever possible.

Feel free to add,

Thank you.
lion-g:)

PENKO
11th Apr 2012, 11:57
Fly with me for 6000 hours, and you will start to see.
Or do one of these CTC-courses, their cadets seem to grasp the idea at 200 hrs:E:ok::O:)

hetfield
11th Apr 2012, 15:26
Wear always white gloves;)

Natstrackalpha
12th Apr 2012, 20:07
Heading the same as the takeoff runway is good - whats a CANPA. sorry?

canpa, canpa, canpa . . ?

canpa canpa, canpa . . ? okokok . . My apologies to the Central Alabama Nurses Practitioner Association . . so, Constant Angle Non Precision Approach - well yep, that would be nice - this is what Airbuses would like to do in their natural state but, as you rightly said ATC, Traffic, Wind and weather or Terrain tend to mess that ideal up a bit.
You are on target - keep learning, its not difficult really, just MASSES of it so get a crack on and you WILL get there. Stick with it.

Halfbaked_Boy
12th Apr 2012, 21:30
Good thread lion-g!

One thing I try to be hot on is being gentle and fluid with turns, banking etc. For example, beginning a turn, making my 'rate of angle change' very steadily increasing, then anticipating when to gently decrease the angle.

My philosophy is to try to keep the aircraft in a 1G situation at all times (never achievable, but aim for the stars and you hit the moon right?), being smooth with throttle adjustments (especially when in clear air), so the passengers experience very little acceleration and can enjoy their G+T!

HBB

edited to add - Of course there is a time and a place for this - bombing into ACE at night with a stiff crosswind and high gusts means disregarding this 'philosophy' and flying the damn aircraft!

framer
13th Apr 2012, 02:07
Re trim it during the climb and after level off.....any time there is a power or speed change really. I quite often fly with people who don't notice that they have half a degree of aileron in during the cruise.....That said, I'm sure they notice something equally annoying about my flying :)

lion-g
13th Apr 2012, 09:35
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input.

CANPA - Constant Angle Non-Precision Approaches

That's good point on maintain 1G on maneuver. As I am currently flying the sidestick, it's quite"hard" to achieve that during a change of attitude.

Any tips on that?

Cheers,
lion-g

Slasher
13th Apr 2012, 09:53
An old instructor told me this one back in my aeroclub days
untold yonks ago -

"Make love to an aeroplane as if it were the girl of your dreams
....and don't just fcuk it like a common street whore."

Works for all types from 747 all the way down the food chain
to the lowly 320! :)

Capn Bloggs
13th Apr 2012, 14:34
My technique for flying real smooth: put the autopilot in! :}

That's good point on maintain 1G on maneuver.
Any lateral manoeuvring ie turning must be accompanied by more than 1G, otherwise the nose will drop (unless you happen to want to descend at the same time). So when you start to turn, pull (ease!) back the stick, and trim if necessary, or if in one of them plastic Bus thingees...I dunno! :ok:

I "lean" on the control column/stick; don't jerk or yank it.

despegue
13th Apr 2012, 15:25
Put pressure on the controls, don't yank them... also works for the Toulouse Toys.

Slasher
14th Apr 2012, 05:11
...don't jerk or yank it.

Depends on which hand you usually jerk with. In the Tooloose
Toy am ok with my left hand on the gamestick as I'm a right-
handed jerker. ;)