PDA

View Full Version : b777 secondary engine indications popup

uwmadness
11th Apr 2012, 10:00
hi
I´ve reaad and I know that some Airline strongly discourage the visualization of the secondary engine indication on any mfd or in compact mode.
The reason I think is that it might influence the automatic popup of these indicationa in case of a faiulure, I was wondering if there is somewhere any documentation on this feature of the 777

Thanks
Uw

blah blah blah
12th Apr 2012, 05:03
The secondary engine indications don't always appear with a failed engine. If they do appear it is an indication of certain types of failure. That said its appearance doesnt give the failure indication, rather what it is displaying does.

I guess what Im saying is that although my airline does encourage that the lower MFD is kept blank I think that is more so that it is available when you want it, rather than it sitting on a display that is not relevant.

If the secondary engine display is showing when an engine fails I don't see that as an issue.

de facto
12th Apr 2012, 07:35
On the 737NG,probably similar to the 777,if your upper DU fails ,the engine primary info is directed to the lower DU which is normally used for the secondary engine info.
In that case,if an exceedance occurs,the lower DU will show compacted engine display.
So,if you have already selected the compacted engine display,you may not get the pop up/change of display to warn you of an exceedance.
Good question,ill check it in the sim.

Ex Douglas Driver
12th Apr 2012, 11:10
The secondary engine indications are automatically displayed when:
• the displays initially receive electrical power
• a FUEL CONTROL switch is moved to CUTOFF in flight
• an engine fire switch is pulled in flight
• a secondary engine parameter is exceeded, or
• engine N3 RPM is below idle in flight.

de facto
16th Apr 2012, 08:24
Is that mentionned in your SOPs?if so, how about you ask the people in charge?you have a technical pilot?how about your maintenance guys?

How about next time you shut down an engine,put the the secondary display in compact mode and see what happens or does not happen?:hmm:

Let us know:ok: