PDA

View Full Version : Removing copilot restriction

galleypower
10th Apr 2012, 13:36
Hi all,

What has to be done if a copilot flying on a MPA wants to lift his copilot restriction on the licence? Some countries do have this entered in the licence of the holder if the check was done in the function as copilot.

A check in the left seat would probably lift this restriction, but this would basically 'upgrade' the pilot to PIC, which he is not yet, as line training, CRM etc has to be done too to get nominated as PIC. Or will just the restriction be removed without the PIC in the licence?

What if the restriction has been removed and the pilot does the next check again in the right seat? Will he get the COPI restriction again?

Is there any guidance material out there who clarifies the issue?

Regards,

mad_jock
11th Apr 2012, 09:26
Your getting confused between SPIC type ratings and licenses.

The CPL no matter how you did your training will not be good enough to be a Captain on a JAR25 multicrewed aircraft. You need an ATPL.

The upgrade process is same for all flavours of CPL you have experence requirments and then hoop jumping of a test etc. Different countrys do it in different ways.

Now if you have a SPIC type rating which limits you to a RHS again the country for your license dictates what you need to do. It may only be a LPC in the LHS or it may be a bit more involved depending on the orginal type rating.

galleypower
11th Apr 2012, 19:26
Thanks guys for your answers. I am actually working for a TRTO in Switzerland and I was curious how it is handled in other countries as we often get inquiries from pilots who want to have their Copilot restriction removed. I guess the easiest way is to to the ATPL Skill Test. This can be done in the right seat and that should lift the restriction usually. And you are right, best is to give the CAA a call and to find out.

A check in the left seat would be another option, but usually needs additional training (upgrade training).

Denti
12th Apr 2012, 14:05
Well, there are countries that issue copilot type ratings. Doesn't matter if you have the ATPL. To remove that and get a full PIC typerating you have to do a command course and a full or abbreviated type rating solely from the let side. Abbreviated if the upgrade happens on the same type one was FO on before, still around 8 simulator sessions, around a month ground school and a command supervision of somewhere between 80 and 120 sectors. After that one isn't allowed to fly on the right side anymore, just as PIC. To get a right hand seat qualification the applicant needs another ground training and some simulator sessions, as well as half an hour right hand seat simulator training every half year thereafter.

Pilot Otto
11th Aug 2018, 21:30
Hello all
I hold ICAO ATPL and looking for conversion.
Can anyone please advise countries in EASA-land that does not issue copilot restriction?

15th Aug 2018, 11:49
Assuming that we are talking about EASA licenses and operations, It seems that there is a confusion between license issue (EASA reg Part-FCL) and operating requirements (EASA reg Part-CAT).
My understanding is that
A co-pilot restriction on a CS25 type rating will depend on the Operational Suitability Data published for that very type rating. To wave the restriction you must satisfy the requirements for that type rating.

Nevertheless, even with an unrestricted type rating, you may fly as a PIC for your airline only if
- you have a full ATPL;
- your airline has upgraded you after a formalized process that includes a command course.
(Theoretically, you may fly as a PIC for non commercial operations even without a full ATPL)