PDA

View Full Version : Sea Vixen incident at Bournemouth today

its the bish
5th Apr 2012, 16:50
Bournemouth Echo reporting Sea Vixen blocking runway at Hurn, pic shows a/c substantially ok but with one u/c leg apparrently collapsed, no word on crew as yet .

Milo Minderbinder
5th Apr 2012, 16:55
BBC News - Bournemouth Airport shut as Sea Vixen jet wheel collapses (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-17629779)

" Bournemouth Airport has been closed after a plane's nose wheel collapsed on landing.
The aircraft, believed to be a vintage De Havilland Sea Vixen jet, blocked the runway after landing at 16:10 BST.
Eyewitness Simon Birt said he could see the plane "sitting on the intersection of the taxiways surrounded by emergency vehicles".
The pilot on board was not injured. No commercial flights at the airport were scheduled before 22:00 BST."

ShyTorque
5th Apr 2012, 19:13
The picture in the article shows the port u/c leg to be at an unusual angle, too.

Milo Minderbinder
5th Apr 2012, 19:19
the pic has been added later

Rigga
5th Apr 2012, 21:31
I interpret the picture in post 2 showing that the landing gear has been partially retracted...Nose Gear is virtually up and the Port Leg has moved inboard - can't see the Stbd Leg.

Inadvertant selection? (pure speculation btw)

Hope all are uninjured and that the old bird is recoverable. It is certainly worth seeing again.

HPMan
5th Apr 2012, 22:05
She was down at Yeovilton earlier in the day. Hopefully we'll see her flying again soon!

Milo Minderbinder
5th Apr 2012, 22:19
What was she doing at Yeovilton?
Possible alternative to the F-35? The Navy need something to practice with....

GreenKnight121
6th Apr 2012, 05:20
I interpret the picture in post 2 showing that the landing gear has been partially retracted...Nose Gear is virtually up and the Port Leg has moved inboard - can't see the Stbd Leg.

Not according to this:

Runway closed at Bournemouth Airport after Sea Vixen incident (From Bournemouth Echo) (http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9635534.Runway_closed_at_Bournemouth_Airport_after_Sea_Vixen _incident/r/?ref=rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

A PILOT walked away uninjured after the front undercarriage of his historic jet fighter collapsed on landing at Bournemouth Airport.

The Sea Vixen, the only flying example in the world, and a star of the Bournemouth Air Festival, came down around 4pm on Thursday.

An instructor from Bournemouth Flying Club (BFC) said the plane did a 50ft high pass shortly before landing so the control tower could inspect the undercarriage.

Firefighters sprayed the plane with foam and it was removed around 5.40pm.

Bournemouth Airport said the pilot was unhurt and that the next passenger flight, the 11.35pm Ryanair from Fuerteventura, would not be affected,

Dorset Police said the undercarriage collapsed on landing and that the Air Accident Investigations Branch was investigating.

Nicholas Howard
6th Apr 2012, 08:13
I was watching her at Yeovilton yesterday afternoon, beautiful sight and sound Let's hope she's back in the air soon and the crew are well.

Nick

Lightning Mate
6th Apr 2012, 09:58

Ever flown a fast military machine?

We tend not to do that.

BOAC
6th Apr 2012, 10:04
We tend not to do that. - no, but some of the 'deliberate (slightly early) ones' have resulted in interesting accidents in your world and mine.:sad:

JW411
6th Apr 2012, 10:35
Well, the Vampire had the flap lever and the undercarriage lever on the same spindle almost out of sight and down to the left side of the left seat when properly strapped in. An ergonomic nightmare and fraught with possible disaster. I almost pulled the wheels up after landing at Valley one day by mistake but fortunately, my instructor was hanging on to his gear lever like grim death!

Daysleeper
6th Apr 2012, 10:43
I was watching her at Yeovilton yesterday afternoon, beautiful sight and sound Let's hope she's back in the air soon and the crew are well.

I thought I'd seen her on approach to Yeovilton as I was on the A303, real shame. Hope for a simple fix.

Tankertrashnav
6th Apr 2012, 15:13
I would have thought that the 50' flyby to enable a visual inspection by ATC would have ruled out "inadvertant selection". One assumes the pilot knew he had a problem or why the flyby?

Lightning Mate
6th Apr 2012, 15:16
ttn,

You're wasting your time here................

Wander00
16th Apr 2012, 17:07
Any news on how the Sea Vixen is?

Background Noise
16th Oct 2012, 19:12
LM TTN, report here:

Air Accidents Investigation: DH110 Sea Vixen Faw Mk2, G-CVIX (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/october_2012/dh110_sea_vixen_faw_mk2__g_cvix.cfm)

ShyTorque
16th Oct 2012, 19:36
Oops, an unfortunate instance of cognitive error and the holes in the cheese lining up. A non functioning safety device and a simple pilot error. Hopefully the aircraft can be, or has been, put to rights and the pilot has got over the embarrassment.

I'll bet he hopped slowly away from the scene. Whilst kicking his own backside with the other foot. ;)

stepwilk
16th Oct 2012, 19:44
Anybody going to apologize to Rigga?

hurn
17th Oct 2012, 09:39
Some egg on face, and not just for the poor pilot. ;)

Nick Odell
17th Oct 2012, 17:57
Reminds me of the Douglas DC-8, which had a lift spoiler that, incredibly, could be deployed before the aircraft's weight was on the undercarriage, leading to one major tragedy when a miscommunication between capt. and 1st. off. resulted in the latter pulling the lever when they were still some 200 ft. up. Idiotically, Douglas's only effort to prevent inadvertent activation was a sign by the lever DEPLOYMENT IN FLIGHT PROHIBITED, which one pilot said was as much use as "crashing this aircraft is prohibited."

Douglas had some strange mechanical anomalies, the worst, of course, being the cargo door latching on the DC-10, which resulted in a very close call in Canada and, of course, the first crash of a fully-loaded jumbo jet, Turkish Airlines in Ermenonville, France.

Wyvernfan
19th Oct 2012, 11:31
I thought the "jumbo jet" was a Boeing product, or am i missing something :hmm:?

Rob

Capot
19th Oct 2012, 17:47
Life can be dull, with little to make one laugh. And then along comes a little vignette that restores one's faith in the existence of a God with a GSOH. This thread has done just that.

Ever flown a fast military machine?

We tend not to do that.

Summary:

During the latter stages of the landing roll, whilst completing the after landing checklist, the pilot inadvertently selected the landing gear to up which resulted in the retraction of the nose and left main landing gear.

The last quote is from the AAIB report, and of course everyone's read it. But isn't it wonderful, seen together?

stepwilk
19th Oct 2012, 17:58
I thought the "jumbo jet" was a Boeing product, or am i missing something ?

I'm sure he meant widebody...

lakerman
23rd Oct 2012, 16:30
Capot, fast jet pilots never ever make a mistake as you can find out reading through these forums, so no apology will be forthcoming from those who poo pood the suggestion that it could have been an accidental up selection.