PDA

View Full Version : Brize radar 124.275

autopilotUK
4th Apr 2012, 18:02
Hello guys,

I am planning a route which is passing firstly very close to Benson MATZ and afterwards Oxford Kidlington ATZ. A bit worried which frequency to use. Is it enough just to contact Brize radar 124.275 or I have to contact Benson zone and Oxford Kidlington for an overhead zone transit as well?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance.
Cheers.

Buster the Bear
4th Apr 2012, 18:08
If it is a weekday a call to Benson first.

autopilotUK
4th Apr 2012, 18:17
What about Oxford Kidlington? Should I contact them for ATZ transit or it is enough to stay with Brize radar?

eyeinthesky
4th Apr 2012, 18:22
If you're not planning on going into the Brize Zone, don't bother with a call to them. If Benson are there, call them for the MATZ transit but say goodbye ASAP (even before leaving the MATZ if possible) to call Oxford. If you are going through the ATZ you MUST call them, but even if you are overflying they have a lot of IFR training traffic around the OX NDB and it's a good idea for you to be part of their picture!

autopilotUK
4th Apr 2012, 18:49
Is it point to contact Benson zone and ask for MATZ penetration if my planned route lies in less than 1 nm from MATZ stub. Is it a good airmanship to contact them in this case?

betterfromabove
5th Apr 2012, 21:25
I'd say good airmanship. Plus they may give you extra traffic info you may not have got otherwise. I find the MIL controllers in the S of England particularly helpful and sharp.

That stretch along the M4 around Newbury-Reading-Oxford is absolutely buzzing with traffic during the week at all levels (all potentially different freqs and some on none at all) and I feel a lot better having someone with a decent radar to talk to, no matter whether I'm in the MATZ or not.