PDA

View Full Version : French ATC Strike?

Contacttower
4th Apr 2012, 11:21
Anyone else been affected by this? Was at Rouen on Monday and to my surprise when I went to call for start up there was no answer...

I had checked the NOTAMs and while I was aware there was a strike on the general strike NOTAM had stated that individual airfields would be NOTAMed if affected. Rouen had not been and there were a number of aircraft calling up as well for zone transit/join and not getting an answer.

In the end I just started up, replanned for a VFR departure and joined in with the French aircraft announing their position in the circuit. Bit of a pain though, I checked the NOTAMs again the next day to see if it had been posted, a NOTAM was listed for absence of ATC but only for 03/04 (Tuesday) and today...no mention of Monday. :ugh:

Does anyone know what they are striking about? Didn't see anything on the news.

TWR
4th Apr 2012, 12:00
It is what the Americans call a "preemptive strike"...

172driver
4th Apr 2012, 12:40
Does anyone know what they are striking about?

Since when did the French need a reason to strike? Strange concept.....:E

wsmempson
4th Apr 2012, 13:09
I flew back from Portimao in Portugal yesterday (3/4/12), routing out over the bay of biscay from Asturias to St. Nazaire and then up to Cherbourg, where I stopped for a pee and to clear out of Schengen-land. The radio was silent from Nantes all the way up to the Cherbourg peninsula, where I finally picked up Deauville info. Both Rennes and Dinard were as dead as a doornail. Very disconcerting, as the enroute notams didn't pick this up at all.

I admire the French for their back-bone and refusing just to lie down and get shafted, as we seem to be content to do, but there are some services which, if you're going to be unable to provide, it is essential that you let the recipients know...! Any how, no puppies were hurt and it was a terrific flight.:O

Contacttower
4th Apr 2012, 17:06
but there are some services which, if you're going to be unable to provide, it is essential that you let the recipients know...!

Exactly; I really don't see why it could not have been NOTAMed the day before at least. If I didn't know a bit of aeronautical French it could have been a bit awkward since obviously all the blind calls were in French.

Lon More
7th Apr 2012, 22:26
Portugal is next

5 April 2012 Lisbon Airport Portuguese air traffic controllers will strike from 6am-8am UTC 12, 13, 19, 20, and 26 April.