PDA

View Full Version : Granny Lands Twin

good finish
3rd Apr 2012, 17:59
good effort.
Woman, 80, with no flying experience successfully lands plane after pilot husband collapses mid-flight | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2124391/Woman-80-flying-experience-successfully-lands-plane-pilot-husband-collapses-mid-flight.html)

Dave Gittins
4th Apr 2012, 12:10
Good Effort ! bit more than that :D

I think if I suddenly found myself at the controls of a dirty great twin with PT6s and one of them stopped due fuel shortage, I'd be lucky to get it on the ground in one piece.

Bloody miraculous I'd say and only achieved with a huge amount of luck.

(it may be of course that her REAL level of flying skill would have got in the way of a good story)

Dg800
4th Apr 2012, 12:34
Gotta love the sensationalist press! "Collins was treated for minor injuries after a bumpy landing" right beneath the picture of the twin with an obviously partly collapsed landing gear. If that's a bumpy landing, I wonder what a crash landing must look like. :mad:

My condolences to Mrs. Collins for the tragic loss of her husband.

DG800

cats_five
4th Apr 2012, 12:41
Another report said she used to fly 30 or so years ago and had gone solo back then - but obviously it will have been in something simple, not a twin with retractable gear.

172driver
4th Apr 2012, 12:46
Well, the story sounds a little bit different here (http://www.flyingmag.com/news/80-year-old-woman-lands-aircraft-after-pilot-becomes-unconscious).

If her husband was the owner and they often flew together she would have had at least some idea what to do (e.g. declaring an emergency - not many people would even know how to operate the radios).

Whatever the background, well done the lady!

Mariner9
4th Apr 2012, 12:53
Nowt to do with the lady apparently, the Mail has reliably informed us that both keeping the plane in the air and the subsequent landing were "miraculous".

God must have a twin rating :} And He certainly moves in mysterious ways if he killed off the husband then gave the lady an engine failure but assisted her to land :)