PDA

View Full Version : Fairoaks

mur007
3rd Apr 2012, 12:13
I am planning a trip to Fairoaks in the near future and just had a couple of questions I was hoping regular users could help me with!

In the AIP there is a mention of reduced wing-tip clearance for parking - is this much of an issue for visiting aircraft?

Also, it does say that first time visitors should phone the tower for a arrival briefing and I will be sure to do that but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are likely to say. I will be coming from Biggin Hill (not the longest flight in the world, I know, but I want to build up my experience as I am still fairly low-hours)

Any advice/tips will be very gratefully received!

ppl_fresher
3rd Apr 2012, 13:27
I flew into Fairoaks for the first time yesterday (also from Biggin).

The tower are very helpful, definately worth giving them a call. The briefing will take you through the somewhat unusual airspace here (Fairoaks is actually inside the London TMA). circuits are at 1100ft on QNH (at least for rwy 24), and you are encouraged to join overhead as close to the 1500ft ceiling as you are comfortable.

Approaching from Biggin, I talked to Farnborough on 125.25 and flew direct to the OCK VOR. I made sure I was down to 1400 feet over OCK and contacted Fairoaks (by this time the field is clearly in sight). Then the rest is easy.

Have fun (and I don't be afraid to try longer trips from Biggin - once you get past Farnborough the airspace is much easier...)

mur007
3rd Apr 2012, 15:09
Thanks ppl_fresher - that's very helpful! I am gradually expanding - Compton Abbas is also on my 'to do' list!

Saab Dastard
3rd Apr 2012, 15:14
You should avoid overflying Woking, especially at 1400 feet!

SD

Talkdownman
3rd Apr 2012, 16:29
PM chevvron who will gladly provide advice and tips.
He 'works' in Fairoaks Tower. I've seen him in...er... 'action'...

PompeyPaul
3rd Apr 2012, 16:49
Parking is tight at egtf but don't let that put you off. It's a cinch to fly into.

Go to OCK vor and change to Fairoaks on 123.425. Start the descend to 1450 qnh. Perform an overhead join, most likely for 24, left hand circuit (it can vary though).

Exit runway and park up. Take a plate with you because parking can be tight. That said, they are really friendly, and will direct you o where you need to park.

Bacon & blue cheese pannini in the hanger cafe comes highly recommended.

jollyrog
3rd Apr 2012, 18:08
There's a public footpath close to the threshold of 24 and you might see people wandering around quite close to you.

Cafe is good. Last time I was there, there was a friendly cat in the tower.

http://www.jollyrog.com/Flying/Fairoaks.jpg

Stephen Furner
5th Apr 2012, 23:32
What a great idea. It’s a lovely run from Biggin to Fairoaks. I have enjoyed travelling this leg many times when routing into Fairoaks from Essex. Take a camera and go in an aircraft with good downwards visibility and clean clear Perspex to see and photograph through.

If you come south out of Biggin to the M25 you can turn west to track it as a line feature to simplify navigation. I suggest you keep your height about 1400ft on the QNH and start talking to Farnborough LARS when established on the M25. This height will keep you below Gatwick’s airspace if you stray too far south and this route keeps you out of the way of the gliders at Kenley. But, best of all, it gives some really excellent and unique (only available to GA community) views of the North Downs and its surrounding landscape. The North Downs are an area of outstanding natural beauty and some very interesting geology.

On your right as you follow the M25 you will see the chalk downs almost rear up out of the ground and slope away towards the London skyline. To your left you will be looking across the Weald to the distant South Downs. Both North and South downs are what remains of a giant fold in the surface of the ground. The centre of the fold has been eroded away to produce the landscape of the Weald you can see spreading out to the south of you.

Leave the M25 when just past its junction with the M23. From here the M25 will slowly rise up the Downs and go over them to curve away to the North West. Follow along the North Downs keeping them to your right. The Downs will rise up to a peak at Box Hill then suddenly drop into a wide valley that makes a gap like a giant has cut a huge notch into the hills. This is Mole Gap. This notch is the result of erosion by the River Mole steadily wearing away a path for itself across the Downs. Through this handy gap is where you want go.

Once through the gap the Ockham VOR is a couple of miles away on a disused airfield directly on your route to Fairoaks. Ockham is a great reference point to track into. From here the big yellow hangers on the far edge of Fairoaks will be visible on a clear day. There is an NDB on Fairoaks which can be handy if struggling to visually locate the airfield since the ADF needle will point straight at it.

Farnborough LARS will usually suggest free calling Fairoaks when you get in the vicinity of Ockham. This gives plenty of time to say hello and get joining information and a report on the traffic they have in their local flying area. Keep your eyes out of the cockpit since departures from Fairoaks and other arrivals might also be using Ockham VOR as a reference point.

I don’t think you have any option about crossing Woking at 1400ft. It sits between you and Fairoaks, stretching out along the railway into a restricted area. If you go above 1400 you will interfere with traffic flying into Farnborough. However, thoughtful and gentle engine management can help to minimise your noise footprint. Keep the engine revs at minimum needed for your height and speed and avoid sudden bursts of high power.

If Fairoaks are on 24 with a left hand circuit then I suggest you cross Woking at the Western end of the town to descend and turn to merge into their downwind leg. This gives a long downwind with excellent views of the airfield – I find this very helpful for orientation and familiarisation with airfield layout - and gives plenty of time for the landing checks. The very modern building by the south east corner of the airfield you will see ahead when joining down wind is the famous Mclaren Technology Centre.

Sometimes when coming down on final for 24 I can see family groups on a footpath near the airfields edge. The children, and occasionally the adults as well, like waving hello to the landing aircraft. When you have landed and are sitting in the area outside the cafe you will often see people bring their children there to watch the aircraft.

I have never had any problems with space or manoeuvring a Cessna 172 about the airfield. I expect this relative to what you are used to. I’m used to operating from much smaller airfields so to me Fairoaks looks really big with loads of space.

Great idea I hope you get a sunny day for it and have a fantastic time.:ok:

chevvron
6th Apr 2012, 13:42
Reduced wingtip clearance at Fairoaks is only an issue if you're flying a PC12, Kingair or TBM which I presume you're not; aircraft up to PA46 wingspan should have no problem.
Fairoaks is not inside the London TMA but is inside the Heathrow CTR. The 'concession' to operate in class A airspace being limited to the Fairoaks ATZ plus small fillets not above 1500ft QNH when the HEATHROW VISIBILITY IS 3000M OR MORE; if you go outside this it sets off the 'CAIT' (Controlled Airspace Infringement Tool) at terminal control. This annoys the controllers not only because it wakes them up (only joking) but they have to file a report when this happens too. Basically stay west of the M25 and south of the M3. If departing to the west/north west, keep the Bagshot Mast to your right, but do NOT go direct if off runway 06.
Inbound from Biggin, it's better to call 123.225 although Biggin will tell you to call 125.25. This is because all easterly departures from Fairoaks off runway 06 (and many off runway 24) call 123.225 by local agreement, so you could find yourself opposite direction to a departure near OCK. The border between LARS East and LARS West runs through OCK anyway and when I worked at Farnborough,. I always preferred all traffic working Farnborough east of OCK to be on 123.225, but the powers that be decided otherwise.

mur007
6th Apr 2012, 20:10
Again, thanks to everyone for the advice and input. I am looking forward to visiting Fairoaks hopefully in the not too distant future! Chevvron - I didn't realise OCK was the border between Farnborough East and West - I will call up 123.225 as it does make more sense to be talking to them. Thanks again!

chevvron
7th Apr 2012, 13:46
Yes the border runs Littlehampton - Billingshurst - OCK.