PDA

View Full Version : Future 2000

Rod1
3rd Apr 2012, 11:58
It is my birthday and according to the count this is my 2000th post so forgive the self-indulgent post!

I have been posting for almost exactly 9 years (it is actually longer than that but the system was hacked and my user info lost so I had to re-join). Back then I was 16 months into my MCR build and running an AA5B.

I suspect that most people would say that sport aviation has taken a big turn for the worst over the last 9 years. I have a much more upbeat view. Back then there were no Rotax powered factory built machines being used for flight training and the Rotax 912 was viewed with suspicion. Flight training was restricted to licenced airfields. Factory built aircraft were not allowed on an LAA permit, a situation which has improved somewhat. The LAA was in a much weaker state than it is now – record membership and a record fleet size. Conversely, Fuel was relatively cheap and the economic situation was much belter. Maintenance on EASA aircraft is insanely expensive and the number of IMCR pilots is down.

Looking back at my “business case” for the MCR, I have archived most of the savings I expected over the AA5. The aircraft has exceeded my expectations and my switch from licenced airfield operation to strip flying has been very positive. If I could send myself a note back 9 years I would not change much.
So what about the next 9 years+? My MCR plan was to own her for 10 flying years and I am now on 7. My next project will be the one to carry me aloft into my retirement (still some years away), so there is much less room for error. I see the main threats (other than medical) to be Fuel, cost and airspace regulation (which is also connected to cost). My aim is to continue to enjoy long distance VFR touring around the UK and Europe but to reduce the risk of a big bill which my pension could not cope with. As such I am considering two options for 3 years from now.

1 – Sell 1 or 2 shares in the MCR. The MCR is a great bit of kit but it is very advanced with Rotax, CS prop, EFIS etc. The running costs are very low, but if the engine were to go pop I would be into a big bill. Shares would protect me from the full cost risk.

2 – Buy a Jodel or similar machine. This is the path I will probably follow. Unlike the Rotax, a small Continental can be rebuilt by me (with a lot of help from my friends). This is a task I my well do just as a learning exercise and to give me a spare engine, at some time in the future. The Jodel will be around £15k which will free up £30k – £35k of capital to spend on flying. It will still be capable of carrying two people and baggage + significant fuel for a week’s touring, but at reduced speed.

What solutions do other people plan on using to keep flying?

Rod1

bingoboy
3rd Apr 2012, 12:45
Happy Birthday,
The world of Rotax is certainly economic and despite rumours to the contrary the 912 is perfectly capable of being rebuilt at home with the same skillset as any Cont/Lyc. The cost of parts might be an issue but the world is a big one for sourcing.
A group is certainly the way forward and a slightly faster kit build should be possible.
The Jodel etc options do need to be checked very thoroughly for wear and tear.
Best wishes

The Fenland Flyer
3rd Apr 2012, 13:00
Happy Birthday :):):)

I say sell a share or 2 unless you fancy a change, you sound like you prefer touring to bimbling so you have the perfect aircraft.

In the future I think fuel cost will become the main problem by a long way, so stick with an aircraft that does good MPG.

172driver
3rd Apr 2012, 13:41
Happy Birthday !

jxk
3rd Apr 2012, 14:08
I think I would choose something all metal like a Cessna 152, which to reduce cost could with care be left outside thus reducing the hangarage requirement. Also, spares and maintenance are easy: like the brakes which are standard Clevelands, metal structure is easy to repair with Cessna providing a good SRM . I know what you'll probably say next, 'but I can't do my own maintenance etc.'. Well, most small maintenance companies I know will allow you to 'help' out when it comes to ARCs etc and the annual fees are less.
And of course for now IMC, Night flying is possible unlike LAA machines.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY by the way how spark-plugs on the cake?

peterh337
3rd Apr 2012, 14:16
Happy Birthday :ok:

What solutions do other people plan on using to keep flying?

Keep making money, and keep flying interesting and delivering lots of value by doing interesting trips, or just drilling holes in interesting clouds.

Justiciar
3rd Apr 2012, 14:41
This is a very revealing post. I thought you were well and truely wedded to the modern machinery, including the Rotax. Concern about if the engine fails implies a tighter flying budget in the future. It is interesting that your likely route is an aircraft dating in design from some 60+ years ago. That really raises the interesting question as to whether aircraft have made any progress at all; certainly in terms of affordability they appear not to have. As I understand it something like a D120 or 1050 will tick almost all the boxes: unleaded, economical, reasonable speed (not as fast as an MCR but fast enough), load lifting, reliability and ease of maintenance. The likes of the MCR owner (and other VLAs) face what as the aircraft enters middle age? Much higher cost for an engine rebuild or replacement or for any significant work on their composite structures?

Are you perhaps being unduely pessimistic? Surely like many owners you will build a general engine and airframe fund to deal with these issues as they arise. You don't strike me as falling easily into the group owning mentality!

For myself, who has little time for long touring, I see little reason to move from the current group ownership structure. However, I am very conscious that the very modest £100 per hour for the Chipmunk cannot last. I do need something to allow for more frequent but less costly sorties. The answer would appear to be single seat. The insurance comes down a lot, especially with hull values in many cases being sub £10k. Hangerage is cheaper and operating costs tiny (unless it is a Pitts S1!), as is maintenance. You can even rent them out to someone you really trust.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Apr 2012, 14:51
How do I plan to keep flying?

- Multiple small shares so that there's usually something serviceable.
- Don't stop microlighting
- Use the instructors rating I did last year, which has proved one of the best things I ever did.
- Keep doing a job that pays for the flying!

2000 posts, pah, lightweight.

G

Justiciar
3rd Apr 2012, 15:07
Genghis:

Are you an FI or a CRI? Have been thinking about the latter - at one stage the EASA proposals appeared to suggest a CRI could be paid without a CPL!

stiknruda
3rd Apr 2012, 15:07
Operating costs of an S1 Pitts high?

Small footprint = reduced hangar rates. Single seat = small insurance premium. You can pull the noise lever back and still zoom around. Fixed pitch prop - no Notice 75

IO320-360 = 8gph at cruise

l think you are talking bollocks, old chum!! I've flown 2 in the past few weeks - one was a fire breathing dragon, an awesome bit of kit!!

Your £100/hr Chippie was in here a few weeks back - she is sweet!

Anyway.......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Rod1

Justiciar
3rd Apr 2012, 15:15
IO320-360 = 8gph at cruise

Well its all relative: 8 USG/Hr = 30 litres/hr = £62 per hour of Avgas as opposed to say a Taylor mono ~ 3 gallons (Imperial) per hour mogas = 13.6 litres = £20 odd (depending on the inflated price at the pumps)

For 100 hours per year that is a £4k difference. Coming back to the original post, that is about 1/3 of a Rotax!!

peterh337
3rd Apr 2012, 21:51
at one stage the EASA proposals appeared to suggest a CRI could be paid without a CPL!

I am not up to date on this (no need to know) but I think that proposal got killed off. You now need the CPL exam passes (9?) to be paid. You don't need the actual CPL though, IIRC.

I also wonder what kind of work a CRI might get, given how many hour building instructors there are, working on £10-£20/hour and a zero retainer. If you have a speciality, that might be different.

For 100 hours per year that is a £4k difference. Coming back to the original post, that is about 1/3 of a Rotax!!

The actual aircraft is somewhat different as well... wouldn't you say? :)

I am sure my lawn mower burns even less, and might even be faster in a stiff headwind.

taybird
3rd Apr 2012, 22:10
If you love your machine, I see two options

1) syndicate it - that way you get to keep it. But, be careful who you choose. Watching someone else being hamfisted with your baby can be painful.

2) to avoid that risk, sell it outright, and buy a share in something else. The benefit of this is that you have a little more freedom to try a few different types to find your new playmate.

Justiciar
4th Apr 2012, 10:00
I also wonder what kind of work a CRI might get

I suspect most CRIs get the qualification for personal satisfaction and to help out their group or club. I doubt very much if there is a living to be made from.

As things stand you need the full CPL to be paid for instructing, but only the CPL or ATPL exams for the FI rating.

The actual aircraft is somewhat different as well... wouldn't you say

Just a bit. It is unlikely to meet Rod1's original criteria for cheap flying into his dotage. I had a few hours on an Christen Eagle a few years back but due to very sad circumstances never got to the point of being solo. However, my impression is that such aircraft - including I suspect the likes of the Pitts S1 -are a handful. I know there are those who would challenge this and claim that their vices are over done, but that is my personal impression arising from a grand total of about seven hours in one. Of course in the hands of an experienced pilot like Stik they are magnificent and maybe today being a bit older and hopefully a little more developed in my skills an Eagle would not seem such a challenge. There is still a part of me that would like to lay a ghost in that respect!

Again, even with the money perhaps not the sort of aircraft to be thinking about owning in the last twenty years of your active flying.

Rod1
5th Apr 2012, 08:17
Thanks for all the comments.

“Concern about if the engine fails implies a tighter flying budget in the future.”

I do not own my own co and so when I retire – which is some years away, but will fall well inside the expected ownership time of my next aircraft – my income will drop by a lot. The MCR suits my current flying lifestyle in that I mostly fly at weekends and speed helps me get to more interesting places in the time available. The Jodel will be a lot slower, but I will also get £30 - £35k which will supplement my flying budget for a long time. I may well be being overly cautions, but this is an attempt at a long term flying plan in an uncertain world!

Rod1