PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Germany

B247NG
30th Mar 2012, 23:43
Looking for a good flight school(for PPL)in Germany where i can study in English.
Near Dresden would be great, but is not mandatory

Thanks

Ultranomad
31st Mar 2012, 00:01
Not in Germany, but fairly close to Dresden - DSA (http://www.dsa.cz/en/) in Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic. They are very businesslike, honest and relatively inexpensive. Unlike most other schools, they charge you for the flight time from takeoff to landing, not from startup to shutdown, and don't impose any extra fees for ATC, instructors, etc.
One important thing to keep in mind - they don't give full-fledged theory lectures; you are supposed to read the books first, then come for consultations. Depending on your preferred mode of learning, this may be an advantage or a shortcoming.

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 00:14
Thank you, i found "flying academy", but I'd have to go to Brno for courses in English. This is much closer, and learning mode is ok for me

Ultranomad
31st Mar 2012, 00:34
B247NG, I studied both at DSA (conversion of a non-JAR PPL) and the Flying Academy (class rating renewal and ATPL theory). While I can honestly recommend DSA, I'll have to advise against Flying Academy - their organisation of the study process is just what I would call unbusinesslike. Also, with all the extras you pay (€18 per hour for ATC communications, €4.80 per landing at Brno as opposed to €1.20 at Hradec Kralove, 5-10 minutes of taxiing on each flight, etc.), a Cessna 152 at Flying Academy would cost you about the same as a Cessna 172 at DSA, or even slightly more.

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 08:49
Thank you Ultranomad, i saw some of your older post's about FA and DSA. I'l go with DSA if i don't find something better and closer in Germany.

I found in Germany Air Alliance Air Alliance | PPL(A) Private Pilot License (http://www.air-alliance.de/index.php?article_id=95&clang=1) for now, but i don't have any feedback about them, and DSA is closer to Dresden

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 09:08
i'll probably go with DSA if i don't find something much better. I found a flight school in Dresden,but there is no enough information on their homepage and i can't find there anything in english for now

iwrbf
31st Mar 2012, 11:45
Hi,

try Pilot und Flugzeug | News | Engagierter Journalismus aus Sicht des eigenen Cockpits (http://www.pilotundflugzeug.de) for your request.

Kind regards,
Peter

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 12:20
Peter, it's great site. I'll try to find something there, but will take some time becouse site is in german. I moved recently to germany and i don't understand to many things from there, i use google to translate from german :)

But I can see that is the great source of information.

Thanks a lot!

iwrbf
31st Mar 2012, 14:34
Hi,

just drop a note in the forum there, they're all capable of english (more or less... like me ;-) )

Kind regards,
Peter

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 15:41
You're right! There are pilots in forums, pilots should know english... :)

Thank you again

achimha
31st Mar 2012, 16:59
That won't be easy I think. There are FTOs that specialize in foreign students, e.g. Air Alliance, they have large classes, accommodation at the airfield but they focus on professional pilots (ATPL). When I did my IR exams at the CAA, half of the room was filled with foreign students (mostly from India).

From what I remember, the PPL theoretical exam is only available in German. You are not required to attend any class for PPL so in case learning German is part of your plan, you could just get some English language PPL manuals and train for the German multiple choice exam. All questions are published and the vocabulary is very specific. Keep in mind that in Germany, PPL regulations are specific to each Bundesland although the question database is a common one.

Another issue I can see is how to get a radio license. Either you get one abroad and hope the CAA of your Bundesland accepts that or you bite the bullet and get a combined German/English license from your local Telecommunication Regulator (RegTP). Getting the CAA to accept foreign documents can be a bit of a challenge. I've had the German federal CAA (LBA) tell me that they do not consider the FAA to be a competent authority to judge my English language skills, only a German authority can do that. :ugh:

(To be fair to the LBA, the FAA language certificate was not 100% ICAO compliant but it's nonsense anyway.)

This would allow you to choose any FTO in Dresden. Finding an English proficient instructor shouldn't be an issue.

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 17:38
Ok achimha, i'll go and ask about that in Dresden flight school's.
I moved recently in Germany, and right now i'm waithing for my residence permit - should have it in 2-4 week's.
My wife work's here for some time, and we plan to stay in Germany.
I'm starting with German language courses in a couple of days, but I think that I need a lot of time to prepar one exam in German.
Air Aliance is a good alternative, but i wan't only PPL this year, i don't know about ATPL, will see after that.
I understand that there may be more administrative, land-particular laws poblems.

In your opinion, whether it would be a better solution for me to get my PPL in Czech Republic for example, or other country?

achimha
31st Mar 2012, 18:26
You might face another issue. In order to apply for PPL training, you need to request a copy of your Criminal Record (Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis). From what I remember, if you are a newly immigrated foreigner, you can't get it because you don't have sufficient history. There might be a way to get it from your previous country of residence but such things tend to be difficult.

In addition, you will need something called ZÜP (Zuverlässigkeitsüberprüfung -- reliability check) which is some huge bull**** they invented to catch terrorists. It basically means you give up your privacy rights guaranteed by the constitution and allow all government agencies (the different intelligence services) to exchange data about you. I don't know how that works out for a freshly immigrated person. You better not come from an evil (TM) country :)

Maybe it's more relaxed in the Czech Republic. For flying, this country is just great, a very active community, very professional ATC, good infrastructure.

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 18:29
I think i get it, if there is a possibility to have problems with licence from other Bundesland, what to expect for licence from another country...

it seems that this will be a very long exam preparation for me :sad:

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 18:35
Thanks a lot achimha, you gave me really helpful advice.

If i get my ppl from Czech Republic, will i be able to fly in Germany? I mean, as far as I know - PPL from Czech Republic should be valid in Europe.

achimha
31st Mar 2012, 19:11
I think i get it, if there is a possibility to have problems with licence from other Bundesland, what to expect for licence from another country...

There aren't any issues with a license from another Bundesland, I just pointed out that the PPL is administered by each Bundesland (IR and above are handled by the Federal CAA), so some details could be different depending on where you are and who you're talking to.

A Czech PPL is valid in Germany and on German registered aircraft, it's EASA after all (or should I say JAR FCL?). You might need a German language certificate later on if you plan to land at aerodromes that only offer German radio communication according to the AIP. Provided you know the language, that is easy to get and not even linked to your PPL.

PS: Don't be surprised if the Czech have similar requirements like criminal record, etc. :O

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 21:28
No, in Czech is not so complicated. There is a PPL courses in English for foreign students in "Flight Academy" and "DSA". I looked at their websites and i have not seen something like that. And if would be like that, i could get it from my country. There is a lot of foreign students who coming to Czech Republic only for PPL, and stay only 2 months.
I didn't know about aerodromes that only offer radio communication in German. I will ask around for more information, if there is no better options for me in Germany, i'll probably go with DSA

Ultranomad
31st Mar 2012, 21:47
Yes, Czech PPL is an EASA license, valid throughout EU and a few countries outside it.
Don't be surprised if the Czech have similar requirements like criminal record, etc.
If I remember correctly, a certificate of no criminal record is only needed for a CPL/ATPL. Generally, UCL (Czech CAA) is quite laid back and fairly easy to deal with, but if your registered residence is in Germany, they will not issue you a license, you'll have to take your school certificate to LBA.

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 22:26
And when i bring my school certificate to LBA, they will issue a licence? I think i'll ask at LBA first how things are going

Ultranomad
31st Mar 2012, 22:37
Oops, sorry, just checked their website, and the situation is a bit trickier: if you take the entire course and pass all the exams (theory and practice) in Czech Republic, they will issue you a license. You can then exchange it for a German one at LBA on the basis of your residence.

B247NG
31st Mar 2012, 23:41
I checked too :)
It's same procedure as for the driver licence. It's ok for me.

Thanks

Thato
24th Jul 2013, 09:15
Hi B247NG,

Have you found something? I'm also looking for PPL in Germany, and in English...
And I live in Dresden as well :)