PDA

View Full Version : Anything but a Vans..

Captainkarl
30th Mar 2012, 16:15
So other than a VANS model (nothing against Vans we just already own one and want something different) what else is out there on the LAA register which can do:

2 seater, aerobatic,
reasonably fast (150 kts),
doesn't have* to be tricycle u/c but preferred,

I know this is another one of those threads but I am genuinely not up to speed to be able to advised my friend who posed the question to me in the first place.

Thanks

Karl

SFCC
30th Mar 2012, 16:28
Falco

There is one for sale in this months Pilot mag.

Rod1
30th Mar 2012, 17:55
Dyn Aero cr100 (140kn)

Rod1

stickandrudderman
30th Mar 2012, 17:59
There are several Falcos for sale in Europe.
They do need to be hangared though which is just about the only drawback!

stiknruda
30th Mar 2012, 20:42
Christen Eagle II

Pitts S2E

they will struggle to give you 150kts but will offer a solid 120kts

the extra half n mile in the same time will pale into insignificance once you've begun to 'bat it

and the wee wheel is in the correct place!

fwjc
30th Mar 2012, 21:03
Slingsby? Bit more robust, can be left outside.

A well built Falco can be truly beautiful to fly; nice harmonisation of the controls, and is slippery fast. Downside is that loops are massive and rolling eats up distance despite a perfectly sporty roll rate - it's just that bit -too- fast. For competition aeros it would be hard work just staying in the box. For cruising along at warp factor and big sweeping Sunday afternoon aeros, it's lovely.

But, why the need to stick to trike? Tailwheel opens up a whole new realm of possibilities as already mentioned - Pitts S2 variants, Christen Eagle, Stolp Starduster Too, Steen Skybolt all biplanes, or any number of composite monoplanes.

Or, if you're really rich, how about a sexy SBach 342?