PDA

View Full Version : Another one gone.

chevvron
30th Mar 2012, 08:55
NOTAM No L1198 (Blackbushe):
'Remove Signals Square from Aerodrome Chart' (Perm)

Dave Gittins
30th Mar 2012, 12:13
Being practical; when was the last time you relied on or even looked at a signals square ? Personally I only look at the windsock and get the rest off the radio or the internet.

I used to walk past the signal square at Fairoaks heading fior the aeroplane but only looked at it for academic interest to see if I could remember what it was trying to tell me.

I don't think I've ever seen one in the US, everybody has their own automated weather station that gives out any other necessary information as well.

chevvron
30th Mar 2012, 15:44
Fairoaks have recently re-furbished their signals square and you haven't noticed?!! (new 'T' and red square)

thing
30th Mar 2012, 16:26
I used to walk past the signal square at Fairoaks heading fior the aeroplane but only looked at it for academic interest to see if I could remember what it was trying to tell me.

It's less than a year since I did Air Law and I'm damned if I can remember, I know the dumbell thing for gliding and the stripey thing for RH ccts but that's it. Does anyone ever look at them?

captain_flynn
30th Mar 2012, 19:03
When I was flying out of Truro back in 2004 we used the signals square just as good practice really. I assume it must still be there but I haven't been there in years.

fwjc
30th Mar 2012, 21:21
Does anyone ever look at them?

.......Yes.

WestWind1950
31st Mar 2012, 06:01
there are hardly any fields in Germany with signal fields since they are no longer "officially" required. Actually, they are a relic from the old non-radio days and since today most, if not all, airplanes have a radio for communicating with ground and/or other aircraft, those signal fields are no longer needed (besides, someone often had to be bothered to manually up-date them so they were often wrong anyway).

Pilot.Lyons
31st Mar 2012, 07:05
.......... No.

Genghis the Engineer
31st Mar 2012, 07:05
I've used one quite a few times, but seldom fly non-radio nowadays and can get most of what I need from the windsock.

There are a few places it becomes quite important - for example Plaistows where the runway isn't always that obvious and many of the traffic are non-radio. But where there's a single runway and mostly radio traffic it is, to be fair, a bit of an anachronism.

But I'll miss them anyhow.

G