PDA

View Full Version : PAN Scottish FIR

sk8erboi
28th Mar 2012, 19:39
Hi

I was tootling along yesterday in the vicinity of DCS, and heard a GLA-LHR flight with a pax medical problem. They informed ATC it was a potential PAN, and then 5 mins later did indeed declare a PAN. They were north of DCS by a fair margin.
The crew elected to continue to LHR, with the PAN and 7700 squawk all the way.
I don't want to reveal too much on a public forum, but the crux of the problem was an elderly pax with heart problems, not a heart attack though.

I was hoping to initiate a discussion on the decision to press on to LHR. I hope by placing it here it will lead to a proper discussion, and not end up in the usual degeneration or second guessing. I'd like to learn from it.

Initially I was surprised at the choice. I was of the mindset that Manchester or Liverpool may well be feasible options. They were at F330 still north of the border. My thinking was if it was worth a PAN it was worth a divert.

I was a pax on Aberdeen-Luton flight once which diverted to EDI for far less. Big S turns to lose height. My other half was a doctor and offered her services only to be rebuffed by a very rude, harrassed CC. She guessed it as a panic attack, we diverted, paramedics came on board, gave oxygen then we continued onwards WITH the pax still on board.

Then, thinking of reasons to press on I came up with:
1. Decision may well have been made by company with medlink or similiar assistance?
2. Continuing to LHR is probably only 30 mins extra where everything is set up for the flight and it does keep the schedule on track.

But then why the PAN? Surely it would cause a fair bit of disruption at LHR?

PT6A
28th Mar 2012, 19:49
Without the information as to the exact state of the passenger, and the medical advise that was passed to the Commander (Either via Medlink or onboard medical help) then it is very hard to comment.

I doubt it would cause much fuss at LHR at all, they know he is coming and at what time and will just make sure he is number 1.