PDA

View Full Version : Question about ATIS

caucatc
28th Mar 2012, 17:22
Please forgive me to ask this "stupid" question, I want to know if there is any divice that can allow controllers to type ATIS information as we type on the computer ,then computer will make sound and broadcast it in the ATIS? Because rencently there are some restrictions on the SID we do not want pilots to follow, and we change the restriction due to some reasons, it is very heavy work load for controller to tell this restriction to each crew, so I just wonder if there is a kind of device can allow controller to add information easily??

ron83
28th Mar 2012, 17:31
Yes,there is possibility to type plain language text,but there might be a limit,I don't know,since met observer on watch does input information.

mebur_verce
28th Mar 2012, 17:55
Where I work, we can add basically anything in the 'additional information' section. The synthesised voice will not always do a great job, so we may need to add a few commas here and there to improve clarity, but in most cases it's quite acceptable.

Concerning your specific question: if it's a recurrent issue, wouldn't it be easier to publish a NOTAM about it rather than telling every crew on frequency?

ZOOKER
28th Mar 2012, 20:44
Surely if you change the SID restrictions for individual flights, it constitutes a change to an ATC clearance, and therefore is the subject of a mandatory read-back.
It appears you are trying to use the ATIS to resolve a workload/staffing issue.

caucatc
29th Mar 2012, 08:28
mebur_verce:
Thanks for your idea about NOTAM, but the fact is these changes normally come up unpredictable and we have no idea when it finished, so I am afraid ATIS is a good way to reduce workload.