PDA

View Full Version : Frozen ATPL

rashidalsaleh
28th Mar 2012, 10:57
Hey guys,
Just a quick question that I have in mind about the situation I am currently in.
I have done all my training in Australia under the civil aviation safety authority (CASA), and that includes doing my CPL and IFR, but I didn't do my ATPL's there to get the frozen ATPL.
My question is what if I do my ATPL's somewhere else, like the UK or Jordan or even the USA, would I get a frozen ATPL or do I have to do a conversion to get it? or just do it with CASA in Australia?

Oh and by the way, I'm from Oman and live there if that even helps.
All replies are appreciated. Thanks :)

redsnail
28th Mar 2012, 11:39
First and foremost. There is no such thing as a frozen ATPL.
That is short hand or marketing speak for CPL + IR + ATPL theory subjects completed. You have a CPL only.

You only get the ATPL when you have passed the theory subjects, gained 1500 hours (with the correct amount of night, multi crew etc) AND passed an LST on a multi pilot aircraft (different regulatory authorities have different requirements).

Therefore, if you hold an Australian CPL + IR and you do the ATPL theory in the US (or Europe), you'll still have an Australian CPL. You'll have to convert the licence.

rashidalsaleh
28th Mar 2012, 12:17
I understand that a frozen ATPL isn't really anything, but since it's mentioned everywhere thought might as well use it

So you reckon if I convert my CPL in USA or UK and then do the FAA or JAA ATPL theory, that would get me a CPL+IR+ATPL?
Or as they call it a frozen ATPL?
meaning, a theoretical ATPL I guess?
Please correct me if I'm wrong,
And thanks for the reply :)

737Pablo
28th Mar 2012, 12:25
Frozen ATPL works in Europe. If you take the ATPL theory and exams before you have 1500 hrs. You will receive frozen ATPL, that means you have CPL till you finish the 1500 flight hours. Then your CPL will change to ATPL. You just need to go to the CAA to pick your ATPL license up.

Dariuszw
28th Mar 2012, 15:10
Not so fast 737Pablo. You might have 1500 and still not be eligible for ATPL.
I have almost 3000h and frozen ATPL because in order to unfreez it you need 500h on aircraft with MTOW of at least 5700kg. Since I fly Citation which is just short of that I can not unfreez my ATPL.

redsnail
28th Mar 2012, 15:27
rashidalsaleh,
One question you have to ask yourself is "where am I going to work?"
There is no point in the FAA licence if you intend to work in Europe.
If you can't work in Europe, then the EASA licence isn't much use.

What do the Omani Authorities stipulate?

Yes, if you convert your Australian CPL to an FAA one, plus convert the IR, if you do your ATPL subjects, you'll be able to get an ATPL when you have the hours, pass the check etc.
At the moment, you have a CPL. When you get the hours + pass an LST (licence skills test) you'll get the ATPL.
If you pass the ATPL subjects now, you'll still hold a CPL.

If you're wondering how to phrase it on a CV.
CPL xxx hours
IR expires xx/xx/2012
ATPL theory subjects completed date XX

In most regions outside of Europe, they won't understand what fATPL means.

737Pablo
29th Mar 2012, 14:24
Well, yes Dariuszw. You are right...all required flights (hours) has to be complied.I thought it was clear.

rashidalsaleh
29th Mar 2012, 21:35
Thanks all.
I need to call some people here in Oman to see who they recognize.
I think it's EASA and JAA, but I'll have to double check.
A possible license conversion is a must to get what is so called a fATPL (CPL+IR+ATPL Theory)
Thanks again :)

Luca101
6th Sep 2023, 08:57
Hey everyone,
just a question, I have an Australia cpl + multi engine instrument rating.
theoretically, could I just go do the UK atpl exams without converting my licence and then come back to Australia with those exam credits and just do the huf and atpl conversion exam back here in aus?

+TSRA
9th Sep 2023, 17:33
https://www.casa.gov.au/licences-and-certificates/pilots/pilot-licences/military-and-international-licences/converting-overseas-flight-crew-licence#Stepstoconvertorverifyanoverseaslicence

"You must do the Australian exams. We don't recognise foreign exam credits."

So no, you cannot do that. Even if they did recognise the exam credits, you would not actually hold an ATPL, so you could not just do the conversion exam. I know places use the term "Frozen ATPL" in an official format, but for conversion purposes, you either have the license or you don't. There is no magical in-between land when suddenly the exam credits from one country make the license valid in another.

rudestuff
9th Sep 2023, 18:59
Why would someone want to complete arguably the (joint) longest and hardest ATPL exams in the world as a shortcut to anything else?

dunphy28
10th Sep 2023, 13:33
I did the conversion from CASA to UK, the ATPL's took me 6 months full time study with Bristol Ground School. I used ATPLQ question bank. Would recommend.