PDA

View Full Version : Bantam B22J - Can I count these hrs to keep a PPL current?

tomtz
26th Mar 2012, 17:18
Hi - I am new to this forum and struggling to find this info elsewhere.

My UK JAR PPL is due to lapse at the end of June but I night be able to fly a Bantam B22 with a 120 HP Jabiru engine where I live
in Tanzania.

The plane is registered here as a microlight; but in the US I think it is
considered an ultralight and in South Africa it is a light sport.

Tanzania don't issue "microlight type licenses" - only a PPL and hours on this plane would be logged in my Tanzanian PPL. Do you know if flying this plane on a Tanzanian PPL will count towards
maintaining my UK PPL or do I have to fly a UK registered plane to
maintain a UK PPL?

Will hours logged on a plane like this count towards a CPL at some
point in the future?

Thanks for your help in advance.

riverrock83
26th Mar 2012, 18:24
Look at LASORS.
(see half way down of this page - via google docs as easier to link to an individual page: Lasors 2010 - Civil Aviation Authority: Personnel Licensing Department - Flight Crew - Google Books (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=exXDMwAJVHkC&lpg=RA1-PA108&ots=wRVNr59puw&dq=JAR%20SEP%20definition&pg=RA1-PA109#v=onepage&q=JAR%20SEP%20definition&f=false) )
If you have both SEP and TMG ratings, you can validate by proficiency check or experience in either class (or a mixture) and both ratings will be re-validated. You have, of course, done your 1 hour with an appropriately qualified instructor, haven't you?

I can't comment on whether it needs to be a UK plane... someone with more knowledge than me would need to help.

Whopity
26th Mar 2012, 19:04
According to this CAA document (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1419/srg_acd_TADSBM78Issue1_20090710.pdf) its MTOW is below 450Kgs and is therefore a Microlight, so the hours will not count.

riverrock83
26th Mar 2012, 19:34
According to this CAA document (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1419/srg_acd_TADSBM78Issue1_20090710.pdf) its MTOW is below 450Kgs and is therefore a Microlight, so the hours will not count.

Very true - although I understand the wording from here (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1416&pagetype=90&pageid=8379) is important, stating" not exceeding 450kg" as the 120hp version has an MTOW of 450kg as per here (http://www.microaviationsa.co.za/pages/specsban.htm).

Your point stands though.

Whopity
26th Mar 2012, 22:50
From the attached specs it seems that neither model exceeds 450 Kgs therefore neither would count towards JAA PPL revalidation or towards a CPL. The registration has no bearing on the matter if the aircraft meets the required specification.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Mar 2012, 23:24
Basically what Whoppity said. If the stall speed was above 35kn, that would trump the 450kg MTOW and make it a light aeroplane. But it isn't, so it doesn't. Sorry.

Still worth flying it mind you, but for the fun and learning - it won't do anything to help your JAR licence.

G

tomtz
27th Mar 2012, 06:13
Thank you for all the helpful responses. Would the same be true if I had an American PPL and wanted to hour build for an American CPL?

Genghis the Engineer
27th Mar 2012, 06:23
So far as I know, no it wouldn't.

The US "ultralight" category is single seaters under 254lb empty weight (with some other limits as well like power and wing area).

So something that is not an ultralight is an aeroplane, and the hours count. This would not be a US Ultralight, there it would be an aeroplane.

(Hence that holding UK Microlight, JAA SEP and FAA SEL licences, my logbook has several different totals for my flying experience, depending upon who is asking.)

G

patowalker
27th Mar 2012, 08:22
As Genghis says, 450kg microlights count towards an FAA PPL. The hours flown in my Zenair CH601UL were taken into account for my PPL SEL.

tomtz
27th Mar 2012, 10:05
Ok - well that is good news. So I guess by a convoluted route I could use Bantam hours on a FAA PPL to count towards an FAA CPL and then convert that somewhere down the line?

B2N2
27th Mar 2012, 19:57
Yes, you could.
Under FAA (bless 'm) you can count all hours airborne be it:
Glider, Balloon, Airship, Airplane, Seaplane, Powered lift literally anything that flies.

S-Works
27th Mar 2012, 20:28
Ok - well that is good news. So I guess by a convoluted route I could use Bantam hours on a FAA PPL to count towards an FAA CPL and then convert that somewhere down the line?

Only if you meet the JAA/EASA requirements including flight time in the relevant class.....

tomtz
28th Mar 2012, 13:09
OK so I could get the FAA CPL - but could only convert to a JAA CPL once I have flown enough hours in a big boys airplane?

Thanks for all the responses by the way.

S-Works
28th Mar 2012, 13:14
OK so I could get the FAA CPL - but could only convert to a JAA CPL once I have flown enough hours in a big boys airplane?

Thanks for all the responses by the way.

Sometimes despite people best efforts it will prove impossible to find a curve on a straight road.....

McGoonagall
28th Mar 2012, 13:18
Sometimes despite people best efforts it will prove impossible to find a curve on a straight road.... :confused::confused:

But a straight road does curve.

S-Works
28th Mar 2012, 13:51
Not come across many straight roads that great circle navigation was actually needed but I will concede the pedantic point.

I will use a bend in the road that diverges from the path of a great circle navigable straight road instead if that works better for you?

:p

McGoonagall
28th Mar 2012, 14:10
Thank you.

'Pedant mode off'

:)