PDA

View Full Version : ATC training, CHCH, and possible tower visit

jj3000
25th Mar 2012, 21:22
Hey guys,

Right, so I have applied for ATC in NZ, and passed the online personality test and got asked to take part in the aptitude testing, which I passed. Now I finally found out the dates etc for the Assessment center which I have been invited to attend in May.

Now while I know roughly what the day will entail, has anyone here, recently gone through this? I read a few threads on here and seems like nobody has recently done this and people that have, say it has changed a fair bit over the years.

Secondly, I did see in a thread further down someone that worked in Christchurch tower and offered somebody the opportunity to go up there. I would love this opportunity if anybody on here could make it happen. Failing that I will try contacting them. Trying to get an upper hand on the assessment day to be fully prepared in every way.

Thanks!

phildan89
26th Mar 2012, 18:43
1st of all, congrats for getting through to the assessment centre stage! Thats a wicked achievement in itself.

I'm one of a couple of people on here that has done the assessment centre in the past couple of years (I did mine in september 2009). To quote 1Charlie who posted this on a different thread earlier this year:

"Assesment Center is a product called 'Sure Select' designed by Airways, and I believe has been sold to Airservices, so most of the tests are very similar.
1. Aerodrome simulation
2. Radar simulation
3. Computer based testing (spatial reasoning, maths, short term memory etc)
4. Group exercise
5. Interview"

When I did the assessments this is exactly what happened, although they occur in a different order to the above (eg. I had the computer based testing 1st then the interview 2nd...nasty!!). The aerodrome simulation was good fun though-that was my favourite one.

I'm up in Tauranga tower so can't really organise a visit up chch tower, but if you don't have any luck getting in touch with anyone, fire me a pm and I'll get hold of the folks down there and see what I can toss up.

Chopa
31st Mar 2012, 10:41
Its pretty straight forward to get a visit. Call the Airways number, speak to the duty manager and ask.

cheers:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Mar 2012, 10:45
I visited two ATC facilities in NZ just by doing what Chopa suggested. They are ultra-friendly people and I'm sure you will be made welcome. The two I visited, with my wife, were Rotorua Tower and Auckland Tower and Centre.

persophene
28th Apr 2012, 03:14
Hi jj3000
I work at CHCH tower and have also worked as an Instructor at our ATC college in CHCH. We often get potential recruits brought up to the tower at the end of their testing day so you may be brought up to the tower then. What day is it?
In my experience the candidates are pretty jaded by then after a full on day of testing and interviews. I think it would be good for you to come up to the tower for a few hours prior to your testing day. This will benefit you in that you get to see the tower in a fresh light, talk to a few of the controllers and see how we work and what we do. This would also be good for your testing day as you can then tell the interviewers that you have been to a tower. This shows your interest in the job and will give you extra credit. I visited several towers before I applied and found it very useful. It helped that I was a pilot at the time...
So I am happy to either set up a visit or have you come in when I'm working and you can get the low down from the coal face, so to speak.
I don't use this forum much but I think you can PM me?? Give me the date of your interview and some dates/times that suit you for a visit. What is your background?
Hope I can help

crazyscot
5th May 2012, 07:35
Call the Airways number, speak to the duty manager and ask.

Which Airways number...? If I hoped to arrange a visit to the Chch centre, would the number listed in the phone book for the ATSC be most appropriate?

FlyingKiiwii
6th May 2012, 21:12
Hey JJ,
I'm also on the May assessment centre, with my confirmation e-mail (like persophene said) stated that at the end of the day we will be taken on a tour of the radar centre and the tower.
Good luck with your tests and interview, looking forward to a fun day :ok: